Re: [fukuoka_farming] Open / editable website about Natural Farming.

  • Carol Lake
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2011
      I think it's a great idea! I do PR and marketing for "green" businesses and organizations, and would be happy to build it at no charge on a wordpress platform, where we could all have access, or items to be posted could go through a moderator first. "Fukuoka Farming" is available. "FarmingwithNature.com" is also available.

      blessings,

      Carol Lake

      "As Above, So Below"

      www.DancingDogFarm.wordpress.com

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
        The following is the content of the wikipage article about Masanobu Fukuoka at WiserEarth:
        http://www.wiserearth.org/article/eb2544562829a62a88613455a0af2261
        At
        age 25 in 1937, Masanobu Fukuoka had a spiritual experience that
        transformed his life.  He left his job as a microbiologist in Yokohama,
        Japan, and returned to his father's farm.  He spent years developing a
        natural "do nothing" way of farming in order to validate his spiritual
        insight.  His methods included not tilling the soil, and not using
        chemical fertilizers, herbicides, or pesticides.  For a period of
        decades, with these methods, he achieved yields of rice and barley as
        high as found in neighboring farms that used industrial methods, and at
        the same time, the soil on his farm was becoming deeper and more
        fertile.
        Resources
        Article about "The One-Straw Revolution" (1978) by Masanobu Fukuoka.

        The One-Straw Revolution
        by Masanobu Fukuoka, 181 pages plus Preface and Introduction, 616 kB
        pdf-format copy.   It presents both his way of no-till, chemical-free,
        soil enhancing farming, and his way of life.  Reading this could be a
        life-changing experience.

        Soil and Health Library
        is a website that provides free e-books, mainly in English, about
        holistic agriculture and related topics.  Some of these are classics
        published in the early and mid 1900s.  "The Natural Way of Farming" (1985) by
        Masanobu Fukuoka is one of the books in this collection.  A small,
        one-time monetary donation is requested to help cover the cost of
        providing these e-books.

        Nine minute video about Masanobu Fukuoka produced by one of his students, Larry Korn.

        American do-nothing farming is a blog report of an American couple's experience on a homestead in Virginia.

        A Farm for the Future
        is a lovely and informative 48 minute video exploring the impact of
        peak oil on agriculture, and the application of the permaculture and
        natural "do-nothing" way of farming in the United Kingdom.

        Agroforestry Research Trust is the website for Martin Crawford, the permaculturist presented in "A Farm for the Future" video.

        is a link to a listserv on Fukuoka's natural way of farming that
        started in 2001.  There are archived files of messages for the entire
        period of the listserv.

        Weedless Gardening
        is an article about a book with the same title, by Lee Reich, published
        in 2001, and that was mentioned in the fukuoka_farming Yahoo listserv.
        Some of Reich's recommendations are: minimize soil desturbance by not
        tilling, and keep the soil covered with mulch and/or cover crops.
      • Lawrence F. London, Jr.
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
          I like the idea too. I can offer an umbrella Wiki where Fukuoka Farming
          resources of all sorts can be collected, collaborated on, organized and
          made available to the public.:
          http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture/permaculturewiki/index.php/Main_Page
          It is an installation of MediaWiki plus Semantic MediaWiki. I need to do
          a lot of configuration work to make this site presentable but at least
          it is up and running.

          It was set up to become a Permaculture knowledgebase which, of course,
          would contain a large section on Fukuoka, Natural Farming and the
          community of people who developed small scale permanent biointensive
          notill agriculture including Bonfils, Hazelip, Chadwick, Jeavons and
          Coleman. Here are a few resources that might interest you:

          Jamie Nichol's (souscayrous) biological farming & permaculture collection
          http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/
          Emilia Hazelip's Synergistic Agriculture - Collected Papers
          http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/EmiliaHazelip-SynergisticAgriculture
          Marc Bonfils' Agricultural Research
          http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/MarcBonfils-AgriculturalResearch
          souscayrous' albums (the two above) on PicasaWeb
          http://picasaweb.google.com/souscayrous
          - Much of Jamie's material is also in the archives of this list

          Permaculture
          http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture/
          See especially:
          Additional Soil Quality Links and Literature
          Remineralize the Earth
          USDA Soil Remineralization Workshop
          Ecology Action
          Ecology Action: SOIL
          Discussion & Articles
          Joe Cummins' posts to the Sanet-MG list 8/16/2002 to 7/18/2007
          Compost Tea, Soil Foodweb, Soil Quality Discussion
          Archive 1
          Archive 2
          Archive 3
          Archive 4
          Archive 5
          Soils In Biological Agriculture
          Remineralize the Earth
          Glomalin: Hiding Place for a Third of the World's Stored Soil Carbon -
          ARS Bulletin

          Permaclture Mailing List

          Gardening Hand Tool Sourcelist
          Permanent No-Till Biointensive Double-Dug Raised Bed Garden Preparation
          and Handtool Information & Sourcelist
          http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/gardening-hand-tools.faq

          On 4/4/2011 11:03 AM, Pietro Speroni di Fenizio wrote:
          > Hi Elk,
          > I think it is a wonderful idea!
          >
          > Wikipedia cannot be trusted to hold information. First of all by their own
          > decision they do not welcome original research, which means that 90% of our
          > material have no space over there and editors deleting it would just be
          > doing their duty. This list serv is great as a list serv, but terrible for a
          > new person looking for information. We need a place where the person can
          > read what is it all about and travel around without having to search for the
          > information.
          >
          > Many groups as they grow have moved from a mailing list to a forum to a
          > wiki. It is quite natural as material starts to pile up and people are tired
          > to repeat the same concepts over and over.
          >
          > The new website should not be in competition with this mailing list, but
          > should be supporting it, linking to it. And similarly it would be great if
          > this list could use this website to give material to read to newcomers, and
          > store there its relevant information.
          >
          > I think we can and should make a wiki. I can also offer the space if it is
          > needed, but I cannot offer the knowledge. I am a beginner myself. If I start
          > such a project how many people would come and help in putting the data
          > inside.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Pietro
          >

          > On 2 April 2011 02:42, fukuokae<fukuokae@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Hi friends!
          >>
          >> I'd be interested in setting up an open / editable website about natural
          >> farming. It would be like a blog where everybody could share his/her
          >> experiences or publish articles. (Like wikipedia).
          >>
          >> It also would be a place where to host& publish files (pdf books,
          >> pictures..) and to link to interesting resources. I see it as complementary
          >> to this mailing list as it would be open to people looking on the web for
          >> natural farming.
          >>
          >> So far I have no idea for the name.. I've seen than naturalfarming.org is
          >> already taken by a fake site which goal is to sell ads :/...
          >>
          >> What do you think of this idea?
          >>
          >> Does anybody have an idea of a possible name for some kind of
          >> non-commercial website?
          >>
          >> Any idea of things that you'd like to see in that kind of website?
          >>
          >> Thanks& good luck in your farming :)
          >>
          >> Love,
          >>
          >> elk
        • Lawrence F. London, Jr.
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
> [...]

            > On 2 April 2011 02:42, fukuokae<fukuokae@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Hi friends!
            >>
            >> I'd be interested in setting up an open / editable website about natural
            >> farming. It would be like a blog where everybody could share his/her
            >> experiences or publish articles. (Like wikipedia).
            >>
            >> It also would be a place where to host& publish files (pdf books,
            >> pictures..) and to link to interesting resources. I see it as complementary
            >> to this mailing list as it would be open to people looking on the web for
            >> natural farming.
            >>
            >> So far I have no idea for the name.. I've seen than naturalfarming.org is
            >> already taken by a fake site which goal is to sell ads :/...
            >>
            >> What do you think of this idea?
            >>
            >> Does anybody have an idea of a possible name for some kind of
            >> non-commercial website?
            >>
            >> Any idea of things that you'd like to see in that kind of website?

          • Chida
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
              +1 to this idea! I see a lot of valuable information on this list that is
              hard to search and look up.

              This list is great and love it! A wiki where we can summarize ideas/tips
              for new comers to get started on natural farming would be great!

              It will be collective documentation that could evolve from this list. The
              list will serve as the primary discussion forum as it has been so far.

              A lot of new comers like me may have the same questions on natural farming
              and methods which could be referred to a link instead of repeating them
              again and again in the mailing lists.

              Thoughts?

              Anand

              On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Carol Lake <drtmrpony@...> wrote:

              > I think it's a great idea! I do PR and marketing for "green" businesses and
              > organizations, and would be happy to build it at no charge on a wordpress
              > platform, where we could all have access, or items to be posted could go
              > through a moderator first. "Fukuoka Farming" is available.
              > "FarmingwithNature.com" is also available.
              >
              > blessings,
              >
              > Carol Lake
              >
              > "As Above, So Below"
              >
              > www.DancingDogFarm.wordpress.com

            • Jean Villafuerte
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                To: Elk

                Why don't you just make the site and invite us all. This is a free cyberworld.
                Anybody who wants to be there, will be there and those who want somewhere else,
                then so be it.

                My 10cents...

                jean
                jean
                http://www.ammado.com/nonprofit/46130
                http://ormocwomen.blogspot.com/
                http://evyouth.blogspot.com/
                http://www.tcformoc.com/
                http://pagtinabangayfoundation.blogspot.com/

                visit my blogs and leave your comments.

              • david.keltie@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                  Agree - build it and they (we) will come...
                  Cheers, David