Re: [fukuoka_farming] Open / editable website about Natural Farming.

  • Carol Lake
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2011
      I think it's a great idea! I do PR and marketing for "green" businesses and organizations, and would be happy to build it at no charge on a wordpress platform, where we could all have access, or items to be posted could go through a moderator first. "Fukuoka Farming" is available. "FarmingwithNature.com" is also available.

      blessings,

      Carol Lake

      "As Above, So Below"

      www.DancingDogFarm.wordpress.com

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
        Hi Elk,
        I think it is a wonderf idea!

        Wikipedia cannot be trusted to hold information. First of all by their own
        decision they do not welcome original research, which means that 90% of our
        material have no space over there and editors deleting it would just be
        doing their duty. This list serv is great as a list serv, but terrible for a
        new person looking for information. We need a place where the person can
        read what is it all about and travel around without having to search for the
        information.

        Many groups as they grow have moved from a mailing list to a forum to a
        wiki. It is quite natural as material starts to pile up and people are tired
        to repeat the same concepts over and over.

        The new website should not be in competition with this mailing list, but
        should be supporting it, linking to it. And similarly it would be great if
        this list could use this website to give material to read to newcomers, and
        store there its relevant information.

        I think we can and should make a wiki. I can also offer the space if it is
        needed, but I cannot offer the knowledge. I am a beginner myself. If I start
        such a project how many people would come and help in putting the data
        inside.

        Cheers,
        Pietro

        On 2 April 2011 02:42, fukuokae <fukuokae@...> wrote:

        > Hi friends!
        >
        > I'd be interested in setting up an open / editable website about natural
        > farming. It would be like a blog where everybody could share his/her
        > experiences or publish articles. (Like wikipedia).
        >
        > It also would be a place where to host & publish files (pdf books,
        > pictures..) and to link to interesting resources. I see it as complementary
        > to this mailing list as it would be open to people looking on the web for
        > natural farming.
        >
        > So far I have no idea for the name.. I've seen than naturalfarming.org is
        > already taken by a fake site which goal is to sell ads :/...
        >
        > What do you think of this idea?
        >
        > Does anybody have an idea of a possible name for some kind of
        > non-commercial website?
        >
        > Any idea of things that you'd like to see in that kind of website?
        >
        > Thanks & good luck in your farming :)
        >
        > Love,
        >
        > elk

      • John Kintree
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
          The following is the content of the wikipage article about Masanobu Fukuoka at WiserEarth:
          http://www.wiserearth.org/article/eb2544562829a62a88613455a0af2261
          At
          age 25 in 1937, Masanobu Fukuoka had a spiritual experience that
          transformed his life.  He left his job as a microbiologist in Yokohama,
          Japan, and returned to his father's farm.  He spent years developing a
          natural "do nothing" way of farming in order to validate his spiritual
          insight.  His methods included not tilling the soil, and not using
          chemical fertilizers, herbicides, or pesticides.  For a period of
          decades, with these methods, he achieved yields of rice and barley as
          high as found in neighboring farms that used industrial methods, and at
          the same time, the soil on his farm was becoming deeper and more
          fertile.
          Resources
          Article about "The One-Straw Revolution" (1978) by Masanobu Fukuoka.

          The One-Straw Revolution
          by Masanobu Fukuoka, 181 pages plus Preface and Introduction, 616 kB
          pdf-format copy.   It presents both his way of no-till, chemical-free,
          soil enhancing farming, and his way of life.  Reading this could be a
          life-changing experience.

          Soil and Health Library
          is a website that provides free e-books, mainly in English, about
          holistic agriculture and related topics.  Some of these are classics
          published in the early and mid 1900s.  "The Natural Way of Farming" (1985) by
          Masanobu Fukuoka is one of the books in this collection.  A small,
          one-time monetary donation is requested to help cover the cost of
          providing these e-books.

          Nine minute video about Masanobu Fukuoka produced by one of his students, Larry Korn.

          American do-nothing farming is a blog report of an American couple's experience on a homestead in Virginia.

          A Farm for the Future
          is a lovely and informative 48 minute video exploring the impact of
          peak oil on agriculture, and the application of the permaculture and
          natural "do-nothing" way of farming in the United Kingdom.

          Agroforestry Research Trust is the website for Martin Crawford, the permaculturist presented in "A Farm for the Future" video.

          is a link to a listserv on Fukuoka's natural way of farming that
          started in 2001.  There are archived files of messages for the entire
          period of the listserv.

          Weedless Gardening
          is an article about a book with the same title, by Lee Reich, published
          in 2001, and that was mentioned in the fukuoka_farming Yahoo listserv.
          Some of Reich's recommendations are: minimize soil desturbance by not
          tilling, and keep the soil covered with mulch and/or cover crops.
        • Lawrence F. London, Jr.
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
            I like the idea too. I can offer an umbrella Wiki where Fukuoka Farming
            resources of all sorts can be collected, collaborated on, organized and
            made available to the public.:
            http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture/permaculturewiki/index.php/Main_Page
            It is an installation of MediaWiki plus Semantic MediaWiki. I need to do
            a lot of configuration work to make this site presentable but at least
            it is up and running.

            It was set up to become a Permaculture knowledgebase which, of course,
            would contain a large section on Fukuoka, Natural Farming and the
            community of people who developed small scale permanent biointensive
            notill agriculture including Bonfils, Hazelip, Chadwick, Jeavons and
            Coleman. Here are a few resources that might interest you:

            Jamie Nichol's (souscayrous) biological farming & permaculture collection
            http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/
            Emilia Hazelip's Synergistic Agriculture - Collected Papers
            http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/EmiliaHazelip-SynergisticAgriculture
            Marc Bonfils' Agricultural Research
            http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/MarcBonfils-AgriculturalResearch
            souscayrous' albums (the two above) on PicasaWeb
            http://picasaweb.google.com/souscayrous
            - Much of Jamie's material is also in the archives of this list

            Permaculture
            http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture/
            See especially:
            Additional Soil Quality Links and Literature
            Remineralize the Earth
            USDA Soil Remineralization Workshop
            Ecology Action
            Ecology Action: SOIL
            Discussion & Articles
            Joe Cummins' posts to the Sanet-MG list 8/16/2002 to 7/18/2007
            Compost Tea, Soil Foodweb, Soil Quality Discussion
            Archive 1
            Archive 2
            Archive 3
            Archive 4
            Archive 5
            Soils In Biological Agriculture
            Remineralize the Earth
            Glomalin: Hiding Place for a Third of the World's Stored Soil Carbon -
            ARS Bulletin

            Permaclture Mailing List

            Gardening Hand Tool Sourcelist
            Permanent No-Till Biointensive Double-Dug Raised Bed Garden Preparation
            and Handtool Information & Sourcelist
            http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/gardening-hand-tools.faq

            On 4/4/2011 11:03 AM, Pietro Speroni di Fenizio wrote:
            > Hi Elk,
            > I think it is a wonderful idea!
            >
            > Wikipedia cannot be trusted to hold information. First of all by their own
            > decision they do not welcome original research, which means that 90% of our
            > material have no space over there and editors deleting it would just be
            > doing their duty. This list serv is great as a list serv, but terrible for a
            > new person looking for information. We need a place where the person can
            > read what is it all about and travel around without having to search for the
            > information.
            >
            > Many groups as they grow have moved from a mailing list to a forum to a
            > wiki. It is quite natural as material starts to pile up and people are tired
            > to repeat the same concepts over and over.
            >
            > The new website should not be in competition with this mailing list, but
            > should be supporting it, linking to it. And similarly it would be great if
            > this list could use this website to give material to read to newcomers, and
            > store there its relevant information.
            >
            > I think we can and should make a wiki. I can also offer the space if it is
            > needed, but I cannot offer the knowledge. I am a beginner myself. If I start
            > such a project how many people would come and help in putting the data
            > inside.
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Pietro
            >

            > On 2 April 2011 02:42, fukuokae<fukuokae@...> wrote:
            >

            >> Hi friends!
            >>
            >> I'd be interested in setting up an open / editable website about natural
            >> farming. It would be like a blog where everybody could share his/her
            >> experiences or publish articles. (Like wikipedia).
            >>
            >> It also would be a place where to host& publish files (pdf books,
            >> pictures..) and to link to interesting resources. I see it as complementary
            >> to this mailing list as it would be open to people looking on the web for
            >> natural farming.
            >>
            >> So far I have no idea for the name.. I've seen than naturalfarming.org is
            >> already taken by a fake site which goal is to sell ads :/...
            >>
            >> What do you think of this idea?
            >>
            >> Does anybody have an idea of a possible name for some kind of
            >> non-commercial website?
            >>
            >> Any idea of things that you'd like to see in that kind of website?
            >>
            >> Thanks& good luck in your farming :)
            >>
            >> Love,
            >>
            >> elk
          • Lawrence F. London, Jr.
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
> [...]

              > On 2 April 2011 02:42, fukuokae<fukuokae@...> wrote:
              >

              >> Hi friends!
              >>
              >> I'd be interested in setting up an open / editable website about natural
              >> farming. It would be like a blog where everybody could share his/her
              >> experiences or publish articles. (Like wikipedia).
              >>
              >> It also would be a place where to host& publish files (pdf books,
              >> pictures..) and to link to interesting resources. I see it as complementary
              >> to this mailing list as it would be open to people looking on the web for
              >> natural farming.
              >>
              >> So far I have no idea for the name.. I've seen than naturalfarming.org is
              >> already taken by a fake site which goal is to sell ads :/...
              >>
              >> What do you think of this idea?
              >>
              >> Does anybody have an idea of a possible name for some kind of
              >> non-commercial website?
              >>
              >> Any idea of things that you'd like to see in that kind of website?

            • Chida
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
                +1 to this idea! I see a lot of valuable information on this list that is
                hard to search and look up.

                This list is great and love it! A wiki where we can summarize ideas/tips
                for new comers to get started on natural farming would be great!

                It will be collective documentation that could evolve from this list. The
                list will serve as the primary discussion forum as it has been so far.

                A lot of new comers like me may have the same questions on natural farming
                and methods which could be referred to a link instead of repeating them
                again and again in the mailing lists.

                Thoughts?

                Anand

                On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Carol Lake <drtmrpony@...> wrote:

                > I think it's a great idea! I do PR and marketing for "green" businesses and
                > organizations, and would be happy to build it at no charge on a wordpress
                > platform, where we could all have access, or items to be posted could go
                > through a moderator first. "Fukuoka Farming" is available.
                > "FarmingwithNature.com" is also available.
                >
                > blessings,
                >
                > Carol Lake
                >
                > "As Above, So Below"
                >
                > www.DancingDogFarm.wordpress.com

              • Jean Villafuerte
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                  To: Elk

                  Why don't you just make the site and invite us all. This is a free cyberworld.
                  Anybody who wants to be there, will be there and those who want somewhere else,
                  then so be it.

                  My 10cents...

                  jean
                  jean
                  http://www.ammado.com/nonprofit/46130
                  http://ormocwomen.blogspot.com/
                  http://evyouth.blogspot.com/
                  http://www.tcformoc.com/
                  http://pagtinabangayfoundation.blogspot.com/

                  visit my blogs and leave your comments.

                • david.keltie@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                    Agree - build it and they (we) will come...
                    Cheers, David