Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Potatoes: South American Indians to receive royalties

  • Ricardo García Moreno
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
      Dear all: I have been reading posts from everyone here for some months now:
      THANKS SO MUCH for all the information! Today I felt the impulse to write my own
      comments:

      1.- on the website, really think this works great, maybe we could rethink of
      making a list of resources, farmers and NF interested-related people by country
      (In Europe, where I live there is not a lot of information, that could help...)

      2.- on the potato royalties for South American indians I agree completely with
      what Sumant Joshi wrote (see below), this royalties should be charged to
      Monsanto and their kind... and also with Rutie: will this money ever reach the
      indian communities? and my own opinion: will consummers be paying for this 1%
      increase in the price? capitalism always has a way of creating income...

      ...but as a symbol is a grat step though!!

      Dear people, you can count on me to spread the ideas of M Fukuoka here in Spain.
      I practice meditation and his MU (the technique of no technique) really got
      me...

      I work in urban vegetable gardens and have my plants in pots at my urban house
      balcony, but my aim is to find a place to move in the countryside and create a
      NF. Meanwhile just learning as much as I can!

      love,
      Ricardo

      ***************___________eot_________****************

      ________________________________
      From: Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...>
      royalties
      To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: "fujiinn" <fujiinn@...>
      Date: Saturday, 2 April, 2011, 7:13 PM

      It won't
      (Ah yes that's pessimistic alright.)
      Maybe 10% will got to them and the rest to all the human resources required
      to collect it, and they will need offices, and salaries, and lots of flights
      to promote such a good idea, and they will need ads....
      And there I'm being optimistic because the Indians might not even get those
      10%.
      Who says charity isn't profitable?

      best
      RUTHIE

      2011/4/2 fujiinn <fujiinn@...>

      > And do you really think that the money will reach the Peruvian communities?

    • Sumant Joshi
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
        Welcome aboard Ricardo.

        From: Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...>

        royalties

        To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com

        Cc: "fujiinn" <fujiinn@...>

        Date: Saturday, 2 April, 2011, 7:13 PM

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
          I think the point is, once it is acknowledged that it is farmers who are responsible for 'developing' farmable food, these companies will find it much more difficult to get patents for something they have not made. I have not understood how this initiative is supporting their DNA copyright? Well I guess money, especially if there is too much of it, is bad.
          and fujiinn, this is a place to rant and rant and rant, I do it all the time.
          :))

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
            From:
            -> http://www.facebook.com/survival/posts/145102382222736
            .
            Survival International commented on their own link.
            .
            —Quoting them: "
            .
            Survival International Many people ask, ‘What can tribal peoples teach the rest
            of the world?’ Most don’t know that tribal peoples have already given the world
            some of its most important foodstuffs, which sustain billions of people and
            which have already saved countless lives.

            The purpose of the 2011 Survival April Fool was to shock people into realising
            this important fact.

            Tribal peoples did not develop advanced machine-based technology; but they did
            develop most of the world’s staple food crops. When allowed to, they often still
            choose a way of life different to that of industrialised society. This doesn’t
            mean they are ‘backward’ or ‘primitive’. They are a vital component of the
            world’s human diversity, but are routinely treated with contempt, their rights
            abused, and their ways of life denied them.

            Survival seeks to change this. Its April Fool is just one of many tools used to
            do so.
            "
            .
            -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiree_potato
            .
            -> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dauphinoise
            .
            -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratin#Gratin_dauphinois
            .
            humour has great importance...

            ________________________________
            From: Jason Stewart <macropneuma@...>
            To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Saturday, 2 April, 2011, 4:03 AM

            Some good news:

            -> http://www.survivalinternational.org/news/7144

            .

            from yesterday morning our time here in Australia :) .

            .

            .

            Biggest best wishes to all Japanese and to all,

            .

            Jason Stewart

            busy in south eastern Oz.

            .

          • fujiinn
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 5, 2011
              Thanks Jason for clearing this up. I was about to ask for the source of this news once I was unable to find anything about this "Intellectual Property Tribunal" or "Dr. Desiree Dauphinoise".

              To answer Sumant Joshi, this, now hypotetical, fee would have been paid by the consumer, and it's exactly that, copyright. Monsanto charges it's customers and imposes draconic measures on them so that it's copyright is preserved. What's the difference? Even if Monsanto was forced by this hypotethical tribunal to pay this fee (assuming the UN tribunal has jurisdiction over a multinational corporation, and potato GMO was an important crop for them - here I think soy and corn are the base for Monsanto), the fee would have been paid by the people buying the GMO potato seeds. I don't see how this fee would stop corporations to put a copyright claim on a crop they didn't develop from scratch, because the peruvians didn't develop this crop from scratch either. And the discussion could keep on, and on, and on :)

              --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Jason Stewart <macropneuma@...> wrote:

              > From:
              > -> http://www.facebook.com/survival/posts/145102382222736
              > .
              > Survival International commented on their own link.
              > .
              > â€"Quoting them: "
              > .
              > Survival International Many people ask, ‘What can tribal peoples teach the rest
              > of the world?’ Most don’t know that tribal peoples have already given the world
              > some of its most important foodstuffs, which sustain billions of people and
              > which have already saved countless lives.
              >
              > The purpose of the 2011 Survival April Fool was to shock people into realising
              > this important fact.
              >
              > Tribal peoples did not develop advanced machine-based technology; but they did
              > develop most of the world’s staple food crops. When allowed to, they often still
              > choose a way of life different to that of industrialised society. This doesn’t
              > mean they are ‘backward’ or ‘primitive’. They are a vital component of the
              > world’s human diversity, but are routinely treated with contempt, their rights
              > abused, and their ways of life denied them.
              >
              > Survival seeks to change this. Its April Fool is just one of many tools used to
              > do so.
              > "
              > .
              > -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiree_potato
              > .
              > -> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dauphinoise
              > .
              > -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratin#Gratin_dauphinois
              > .
              > humour has great importance...
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Sumant Joshi
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 5, 2011
                Well, I guess this money thing sucks, one way or other. It destroys people.

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 7, 2011
                  You call this humor???
                  If I were an Indian I would feel very bad indeed, not to receive my money.
                  It is bad taste, it is mean.
                  Sorry for this late reaction, but I couldn't pinpoint until now what was
                  bothering me about this post and put it in words.
                  Just a question, are our group members more aware now of the plight of
                  tribal people, after reading this stuff?
                  Does this article make them want to plant more, in smaller farms, with lower
                  profit cash crops? (Cash crops?!?!)

                  RUTHIE