Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Potatoes: South American Indians to receive royalties

  • Sumant Joshi
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
      Well, the question is not whether they will get anything or not. It is a totally new concept, people have to get used to the fact that farmers should be given credit for developing farmable food. That should put Monsanto and cargill seed companies on the back foot. They have been taking patents for 'improved' seeds which have been developed by someone else and making money out of it without paying royalties.

      Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

      Warm regards,

      Sumant Joshi
      Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
        Dear all: I have been reading posts from everyone here for some months now:
        THANKS SO MUCH for all the information! Today I felt the impulse to write my own
        comments:

        1.- on the website, really think this works great, maybe we could rethink of
        making a list of resources, farmers and NF interested-related people by country
        (In Europe, where I live there is not a lot of information, that could help...)

        2.- on the potato royalties for South American indians I agree completely with
        what Sumant Joshi wrote (see below), this royalties should be charged to
        Monsanto and their kind... and also with Rutie: will this money ever reach the
        indian communities? and my own opinion: will consummers be paying for this 1%
        increase in the price? capitalism always has a way of creating income...

        ...but as a symbol is a grat step though!!

        Dear people, you can count on me to spread the ideas of M Fukuoka here in Spain.
        I practice meditation and his MU (the technique of no technique) really got
        me...

        I work in urban vegetable gardens and have my plants in pots at my urban house
        balcony, but my aim is to find a place to move in the countryside and create a
        NF. Meanwhile just learning as much as I can!

        love,
        Ricardo

        ***************___________eot_________****************

        ________________________________

        2011/4/2 fujiinn <fujiinn@...>

        > And do you really think that the money will reach the Peruvian communities?

      • fujiinn
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
          IMHO, there is a logic issue in your statement. If the question is not whether the peruvian communities will recieve their royalties, then what's the point of this tax? To put Monsanto on it's toes? And how will it accomplish that, by taxing common folk even more? I think Monsanto is really terrified, considering that this innitative is supporting their copyright on DNA. And I think it's really important to understand what's going to happen with all this money. I can't believe that from lying and cheating something good could come out. It just doesn't happen :)

          Sorry if I rant too much...

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
            Welcome aboard Ricardo.

            From: Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...>

            royalties

            To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com

            Cc: "fujiinn" <fujiinn@...>

            Date: Saturday, 2 April, 2011, 7:13 PM

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
              I think the point is, once it is acknowledged that it is farmers who are responsible for 'developing' farmable food, these companies will find it much more difficult to get patents for something they have not made. I have not understood how this initiative is supporting their DNA copyright? Well I guess money, especially if there is too much of it, is bad.
              and fujiinn, this is a place to rant and rant and rant, I do it all the time.
              :))

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                From:
                -> http://www.facebook.com/survival/posts/145102382222736
                .
                Survival International commented on their own link.
                .
                —Quoting them: "
                .
                Survival International Many people ask, ‘What can tribal peoples teach the rest
                of the world?’ Most don’t know that tribal peoples have already given the world
                some of its most important foodstuffs, which sustain billions of people and
                which have already saved countless lives.

                The purpose of the 2011 Survival April Fool was to shock people into realising
                this important fact.

                Tribal peoples did not develop advanced machine-based technology; but they did
                develop most of the world’s staple food crops. When allowed to, they often still
                choose a way of life different to that of industrialised society. This doesn’t
                mean they are ‘backward’ or ‘primitive’. They are a vital component of the
                world’s human diversity, but are routinely treated with contempt, their rights
                abused, and their ways of life denied them.

                Survival seeks to change this. Its April Fool is just one of many tools used to
                do so.
                "
                .
                -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiree_potato
                .
                -> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dauphinoise
                .
                -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratin#Gratin_dauphinois
                .
                humour has great importance...

                ________________________________
                From: Jason Stewart <macropneuma@...>
                To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Saturday, 2 April, 2011, 4:03 AM

                Some good news:

                -> http://www.survivalinternational.org/news/7144

                .

                from yesterday morning our time here in Australia :) .

                .

                .

                Biggest best wishes to all Japanese and to all,

                .

                Jason Stewart

                busy in south eastern Oz.

                .

              • fujiinn
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 5, 2011
                  Thanks Jason for clearing this up. I was about to ask for the source of this news once I was unable to find anything about this "Intellectual Property Tribunal" or "Dr. Desiree Dauphinoise".

                  To answer Sumant Joshi, this, now hypotetical, fee would have been paid by the consumer, and it's exactly that, copyright. Monsanto charges it's customers and imposes draconic measures on them so that it's copyright is preserved. What's the difference? Even if Monsanto was forced by this hypotethical tribunal to pay this fee (assuming the UN tribunal has jurisdiction over a multinational corporation, and potato GMO was an important crop for them - here I think soy and corn are the base for Monsanto), the fee would have been paid by the people buying the GMO potato seeds. I don't see how this fee would stop corporations to put a copyright claim on a crop they didn't develop from scratch, because the peruvians didn't develop this crop from scratch either. And the discussion could keep on, and on, and on :)

                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Jason Stewart <macropneuma@...> wrote:

                  > From:
                  > -> http://www.facebook.com/survival/posts/145102382222736
                  > .
                  > Survival International commented on their own link.
                  > .
                  > â€"Quoting them: "
                  > .
                  > Survival International Many people ask, ‘What can tribal peoples teach the rest
                  > of the world?’ Most don’t know that tribal peoples have already given the world
                  > some of its most important foodstuffs, which sustain billions of people and
                  > which have already saved countless lives.
                  >
                  > The purpose of the 2011 Survival April Fool was to shock people into realising
                  > this important fact.
                  >
                  > Tribal peoples did not develop advanced machine-based technology; but they did
                  > develop most of the world’s staple food crops. When allowed to, they often still
                  > choose a way of life different to that of industrialised society. This doesn’t
                  > mean they are ‘backward’ or ‘primitive’. They are a vital component of the
                  > world’s human diversity, but are routinely treated with contempt, their rights
                  > abused, and their ways of life denied them.
                  >
                  > Survival seeks to change this. Its April Fool is just one of many tools used to
                  > do so.
                  > "
                  > .
                  > -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiree_potato
                  > .
                  > -> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dauphinoise
                  > .
                  > -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratin#Gratin_dauphinois
                  > .
                  > humour has great importance...
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Sumant Joshi
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 5, 2011
                    Well, I guess this money thing sucks, one way or other. It destroys people.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 7, 2011
                      You call this humor???
                      If I were an Indian I would feel very bad indeed, not to receive my money.
                      It is bad taste, it is mean.
                      Sorry for this late reaction, but I couldn't pinpoint until now what was
                      bothering me about this post and put it in words.
                      Just a question, are our group members more aware now of the plight of
                      tribal people, after reading this stuff?
                      Does this article make them want to plant more, in smaller farms, with lower
                      profit cash crops? (Cash crops?!?!)

                      RUTHIE