Re: [fukuoka_farming] Open / editable website about Natural Farming.

  • Carol Lake
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2011
      I think it's a great idea! I do PR and marketing for "green" businesses and organizations, and would be happy to build it at no charge on a wordpress platform, where we could all have access, or items to be posted could go through a moderator first. "Fukuoka Farming" is available. "FarmingwithNature.com" is also available.

      blessings,

      Carol Lake

      "As Above, So Below"

      www.DancingDogFarm.wordpress.com

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2011
        My first response was that this would be a duplication because this forum has a
        wealth of people and information that can be easily accessed. However, if
        someone has the energy and passion to develop more ways to spread information
        about natural farming then their efforts should be supported and encouraged!
        swords>plowshares>scythes! Wage Peace, Steve G

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 3, 2011
          That would be a website distinct from this one then, which is just an
          informal group and not a site.
          If that other website is created I would be one of the first to visit it if
          it offers something worthwhile. Right now our present informal group is a
          good arrangement for me. Anyway I'm just a member and not a founder and
          that's only my personal opinion.
          If elk comes up with a prototype of his idea then I'd gladly check it out.
          Is elk your real name by the way?
          best
          RUTHIE

          2011/4/3 Steve Grannis <grannis04@...>

          > My first response was that this would be a duplication because this forum
          > has a
          > wealth of people and information that can be easily accessed. However, if
          > someone has the energy and passion to develop more ways to spread
          > information
          > about natural farming then their efforts should be supported and
          > encouraged!
          > swords>plowshares>scythes! Wage Peace, Steve G
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Pietro Speroni di Fenizio
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
            Hi Elk,
            I think it is a wonderf idea!

            Wikipedia cannot be trusted to hold information. First of all by their own
            decision they do not welcome original research, which means that 90% of our
            material have no space over there and editors deleting it would just be
            doing their duty. This list serv is great as a list serv, but terrible for a
            new person looking for information. We need a place where the person can
            read what is it all about and travel around without having to search for the
            information.

            Many groups as they grow have moved from a mailing list to a forum to a
            wiki. It is quite natural as material starts to pile up and people are tired
            to repeat the same concepts over and over.

            The new website should not be in competition with this mailing list, but
            should be supporting it, linking to it. And similarly it would be great if
            this list could use this website to give material to read to newcomers, and
            store there its relevant information.

            I think we can and should make a wiki. I can also offer the space if it is
            needed, but I cannot offer the knowledge. I am a beginner myself. If I start
            such a project how many people would come and help in putting the data
            inside.

            Cheers,
            Pietro

            On 2 April 2011 02:42, fukuokae <fukuokae@...> wrote:

            > Hi friends!
            >
            > I'd be interested in setting up an open / editable website about natural
            > farming. It would be like a blog where everybody could share his/her
            > experiences or publish articles. (Like wikipedia).
            >
            > It also would be a place where to host & publish files (pdf books,
            > pictures..) and to link to interesting resources. I see it as complementary
            > to this mailing list as it would be open to people looking on the web for
            > natural farming.
            >
            > So far I have no idea for the name.. I've seen than naturalfarming.org is
            > already taken by a fake site which goal is to sell ads :/...
            >
            > What do you think of this idea?
            >
            > Does anybody have an idea of a possible name for some kind of
            > non-commercial website?
            >
            > Any idea of things that you'd like to see in that kind of website?
            >
            > Thanks & good luck in your farming :)
            >
            > Love,
            >
            > elk

          • John Kintree
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
              The following is the content of the wikipage article about Masanobu Fukuoka at WiserEarth:
              http://www.wiserearth.org/article/eb2544562829a62a88613455a0af2261
              At
              age 25 in 1937, Masanobu Fukuoka had a spiritual experience that
              transformed his life.  He left his job as a microbiologist in Yokohama,
              Japan, and returned to his father's farm.  He spent years developing a
              natural "do nothing" way of farming in order to validate his spiritual
              insight.  His methods included not tilling the soil, and not using
              chemical fertilizers, herbicides, or pesticides.  For a period of
              decades, with these methods, he achieved yields of rice and barley as
              high as found in neighboring farms that used industrial methods, and at
              the same time, the soil on his farm was becoming deeper and more
              fertile.
              Resources
              Article about "The One-Straw Revolution" (1978) by Masanobu Fukuoka.

              The One-Straw Revolution
              by Masanobu Fukuoka, 181 pages plus Preface and Introduction, 616 kB
              pdf-format copy.   It presents both his way of no-till, chemical-free,
              soil enhancing farming, and his way of life.  Reading this could be a
              life-changing experience.

              Soil and Health Library
              is a website that provides free e-books, mainly in English, about
              holistic agriculture and related topics.  Some of these are classics
              published in the early and mid 1900s.  "The Natural Way of Farming" (1985) by
              Masanobu Fukuoka is one of the books in this collection.  A small,
              one-time monetary donation is requested to help cover the cost of
              providing these e-books.

              Nine minute video about Masanobu Fukuoka produced by one of his students, Larry Korn.

              American do-nothing farming is a blog report of an American couple's experience on a homestead in Virginia.

              A Farm for the Future
              is a lovely and informative 48 minute video exploring the impact of
              peak oil on agriculture, and the application of the permaculture and
              natural "do-nothing" way of farming in the United Kingdom.

              Agroforestry Research Trust is the website for Martin Crawford, the permaculturist presented in "A Farm for the Future" video.

              is a link to a listserv on Fukuoka's natural way of farming that
              started in 2001.  There are archived files of messages for the entire
              period of the listserv.

              Weedless Gardening
              is an article about a book with the same title, by Lee Reich, published
              in 2001, and that was mentioned in the fukuoka_farming Yahoo listserv.
              Some of Reich's recommendations are: minimize soil desturbance by not
              tilling, and keep the soil covered with mulch and/or cover crops.
            • Lawrence F. London, Jr.
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
                I like the idea too. I can offer an umbrella Wiki where Fukuoka Farming
                resources of all sorts can be collected, collaborated on, organized and
                made available to the public.:
                http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture/permaculturewiki/index.php/Main_Page
                It is an installation of MediaWiki plus Semantic MediaWiki. I need to do
                a lot of configuration work to make this site presentable but at least
                it is up and running.

                It was set up to become a Permaculture knowledgebase which, of course,
                would contain a large section on Fukuoka, Natural Farming and the
                community of people who developed small scale permanent biointensive
                notill agriculture including Bonfils, Hazelip, Chadwick, Jeavons and
                Coleman. Here are a few resources that might interest you:

                Jamie Nichol's (souscayrous) biological farming & permaculture collection
                http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/
                Emilia Hazelip's Synergistic Agriculture - Collected Papers
                http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/EmiliaHazelip-SynergisticAgriculture
                Marc Bonfils' Agricultural Research
                http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/MarcBonfils-AgriculturalResearch
                souscayrous' albums (the two above) on PicasaWeb
                http://picasaweb.google.com/souscayrous
                - Much of Jamie's material is also in the archives of this list

                Permaculture
                http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture/
                See especially:
                Additional Soil Quality Links and Literature
                Remineralize the Earth
                USDA Soil Remineralization Workshop
                Ecology Action
                Ecology Action: SOIL
                Discussion & Articles
                Joe Cummins' posts to the Sanet-MG list 8/16/2002 to 7/18/2007
                Compost Tea, Soil Foodweb, Soil Quality Discussion
                Archive 1
                Archive 2
                Archive 3
                Archive 4
                Archive 5
                Soils In Biological Agriculture
                Remineralize the Earth
                Glomalin: Hiding Place for a Third of the World's Stored Soil Carbon -
                ARS Bulletin

                Permaclture Mailing List

                Gardening Hand Tool Sourcelist
                Permanent No-Till Biointensive Double-Dug Raised Bed Garden Preparation
                and Handtool Information & Sourcelist
                http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/gardening-hand-tools.faq

                On 4/4/2011 11:03 AM, Pietro Speroni di Fenizio wrote:
                > Hi Elk,
                > I think it is a wonderful idea!
                >
                > Wikipedia cannot be trusted to hold information. First of all by their own
                > decision they do not welcome original research, which means that 90% of our
                > material have no space over there and editors deleting it would just be
                > doing their duty. This list serv is great as a list serv, but terrible for a
                > new person looking for information. We need a place where the person can
                > read what is it all about and travel around without having to search for the
                > information.
                >
                > Many groups as they grow have moved from a mailing list to a forum to a
                > wiki. It is quite natural as material starts to pile up and people are tired
                > to repeat the same concepts over and over.
                >
                > The new website should not be in competition with this mailing list, but
                > should be supporting it, linking to it. And similarly it would be great if
                > this list could use this website to give material to read to newcomers, and
                > store there its relevant information.
                >
                > I think we can and should make a wiki. I can also offer the space if it is
                > needed, but I cannot offer the knowledge. I am a beginner myself. If I start
                > such a project how many people would come and help in putting the data
                > inside.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Pietro
                >

                > On 2 April 2011 02:42, fukuokae<fukuokae@...> wrote:
                >

                >> Hi friends!
                >>
                >> I'd be interested in setting up an open / editable website about natural
                >> farming. It would be like a blog where everybody could share his/her
                >> experiences or publish articles. (Like wikipedia).
                >>
                >> It also would be a place where to host& publish files (pdf books,
                >> pictures..) and to link to interesting resources. I see it as complementary
                >> to this mailing list as it would be open to people looking on the web for
                >> natural farming.
                >>
                >> So far I have no idea for the name.. I've seen than naturalfarming.org is
                >> already taken by a fake site which goal is to sell ads :/...
                >>
                >> What do you think of this idea?
                >>
                >> Does anybody have an idea of a possible name for some kind of
                >> non-commercial website?
                >>
                >> Any idea of things that you'd like to see in that kind of website?
                >>
                >> Thanks& good luck in your farming :)
                >>
                >> Love,
                >>
                >> elk
              • Lawrence F. London, Jr.
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
> [...]

                  > On 2 April 2011 02:42, fukuokae<fukuokae@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> Hi friends!
                  >>
                  >> I'd be interested in setting up an open / editable website about natural
                  >> farming. It would be like a blog where everybody could share his/her
                  >> experiences or publish articles. (Like wikipedia).
                  >>
                  >> It also would be a place where to host& publish files (pdf books,
                  >> pictures..) and to link to interesting resources. I see it as complementary
                  >> to this mailing list as it would be open to people looking on the web for
                  >> natural farming.
                  >>
                  >> So far I have no idea for the name.. I've seen than naturalfarming.org is
                  >> already taken by a fake site which goal is to sell ads :/...
                  >>
                  >> What do you think of this idea?
                  >>
                  >> Does anybody have an idea of a possible name for some kind of
                  >> non-commercial website?
                  >>
                  >> Any idea of things that you'd like to see in that kind of website?

                • Chida
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
                    +1 to this idea! I see a lot of valuable information on this list that is
                    hard to search and look up.

                    This list is great and love it! A wiki where we can summarize ideas/tips
                    for new comers to get started on natural farming would be great!

                    It will be collective documentation that could evolve from this list. The
                    list will serve as the primary discussion forum as it has been so far.

                    A lot of new comers like me may have the same questions on natural farming
                    and methods which could be referred to a link instead of repeating them
                    again and again in the mailing lists.

                    Thoughts?

                    Anand

                    On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Carol Lake <drtmrpony@...> wrote:

                    > I think it's a great idea! I do PR and marketing for "green" businesses and
                    > organizations, and would be happy to build it at no charge on a wordpress
                    > platform, where we could all have access, or items to be posted could go
                    > through a moderator first. "Fukuoka Farming" is available.
                    > "FarmingwithNature.com" is also available.
                    >
                    > blessings,
                    >
                    > Carol Lake
                    >
                    > "As Above, So Below"
                    >
                    > www.DancingDogFarm.wordpress.com

                  • Jean Villafuerte
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                      To: Elk

                      Why don't you just make the site and invite us all. This is a free cyberworld.
                      Anybody who wants to be there, will be there and those who want somewhere else,
                      then so be it.

                      My 10cents...

                      jean
                      jean
                      http://www.ammado.com/nonprofit/46130
                      http://ormocwomen.blogspot.com/
                      http://evyouth.blogspot.com/
                      http://www.tcformoc.com/
                      http://pagtinabangayfoundation.blogspot.com/

                      visit my blogs and leave your comments.

                    • david.keltie@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                        Agree - build it and they (we) will come...
                        Cheers, David