Re: [fukuoka_farming] Open / editable website about Natural Farming.

  • Carol Lake
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2, 2011
      I think it's a great idea! I do PR and marketing for "green" businesses and organizations, and would be happy to build it at no charge on a wordpress platform, where we could all have access, or items to be posted could go through a moderator first. "Fukuoka Farming" is available. "FarmingwithNature.com" is also available.

      blessings,

      Carol Lake

      "As Above, So Below"

      www.DancingDogFarm.wordpress.com

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2011
        I agree with John. It doesn't seem to get any better than this listserve. Less is more in terms of listserves and websites, etc. Better to be outside than in.
        take care -- paul peterhans (seattle)

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2, 2011
          Oops, the link to the article about Masanobu Fukuoka at WiserEarth is
          http://www.wiserearth.org/article/a35a9592f8d9cfa48a997b2c6b2b921c
          Regards,
          John Kintree

[...]

        • Steve Grannis
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2, 2011
            My first response was that this would be a duplication because this forum has a
            wealth of people and information that can be easily accessed. However, if
            someone has the energy and passion to develop more ways to spread information
            about natural farming then their efforts should be supported and encouraged!
            swords>plowshares>scythes! Wage Peace, Steve G

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 3, 2011
              That would be a website distinct from this one then, which is just an
              informal group and not a site.
              If that other website is created I would be one of the first to visit it if
              it offers something worthwhile. Right now our present informal group is a
              good arrangement for me. Anyway I'm just a member and not a founder and
              that's only my personal opinion.
              If elk comes up with a prototype of his idea then I'd gladly check it out.
              Is elk your real name by the way?
              best
              RUTHIE

              2011/4/3 Steve Grannis <grannis04@...>

              > My first response was that this would be a duplication because this forum
              > has a
              > wealth of people and information that can be easily accessed. However, if
              > someone has the energy and passion to develop more ways to spread
              > information
              > about natural farming then their efforts should be supported and
              > encouraged!
              > swords>plowshares>scythes! Wage Peace, Steve G
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Pietro Speroni di Fenizio
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
                Hi Elk,
                I think it is a wonderf idea!

                Wikipedia cannot be trusted to hold information. First of all by their own
                decision they do not welcome original research, which means that 90% of our
                material have no space over there and editors deleting it would just be
                doing their duty. This list serv is great as a list serv, but terrible for a
                new person looking for information. We need a place where the person can
                read what is it all about and travel around without having to search for the
                information.

                Many groups as they grow have moved from a mailing list to a forum to a
                wiki. It is quite natural as material starts to pile up and people are tired
                to repeat the same concepts over and over.

                The new website should not be in competition with this mailing list, but
                should be supporting it, linking to it. And similarly it would be great if
                this list could use this website to give material to read to newcomers, and
                store there its relevant information.

                I think we can and should make a wiki. I can also offer the space if it is
                needed, but I cannot offer the knowledge. I am a beginner myself. If I start
                such a project how many people would come and help in putting the data
                inside.

                Cheers,
                Pietro

                On 2 April 2011 02:42, fukuokae <fukuokae@...> wrote:

                > Hi friends!
                >
                > I'd be interested in setting up an open / editable website about natural
                > farming. It would be like a blog where everybody could share his/her
                > experiences or publish articles. (Like wikipedia).
                >
                > It also would be a place where to host & publish files (pdf books,
                > pictures..) and to link to interesting resources. I see it as complementary
                > to this mailing list as it would be open to people looking on the web for
                > natural farming.
                >
                > So far I have no idea for the name.. I've seen than naturalfarming.org is
                > already taken by a fake site which goal is to sell ads :/...
                >
                > What do you think of this idea?
                >
                > Does anybody have an idea of a possible name for some kind of
                > non-commercial website?
                >
                > Any idea of things that you'd like to see in that kind of website?
                >
                > Thanks & good luck in your farming :)
                >
                > Love,
                >
                > elk

              • John Kintree
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
                  The following is the content of the wikipage article about Masanobu Fukuoka at WiserEarth:
                  http://www.wiserearth.org/article/eb2544562829a62a88613455a0af2261
                  At
                  age 25 in 1937, Masanobu Fukuoka had a spiritual experience that
                  transformed his life.  He left his job as a microbiologist in Yokohama,
                  Japan, and returned to his father's farm.  He spent years developing a
                  natural "do nothing" way of farming in order to validate his spiritual
                  insight.  His methods included not tilling the soil, and not using
                  chemical fertilizers, herbicides, or pesticides.  For a period of
                  decades, with these methods, he achieved yields of rice and barley as
                  high as found in neighboring farms that used industrial methods, and at
                  the same time, the soil on his farm was becoming deeper and more
                  fertile.
                  Resources
                  Article about "The One-Straw Revolution" (1978) by Masanobu Fukuoka.

                  The One-Straw Revolution
                  by Masanobu Fukuoka, 181 pages plus Preface and Introduction, 616 kB
                  pdf-format copy.   It presents both his way of no-till, chemical-free,
                  soil enhancing farming, and his way of life.  Reading this could be a
                  life-changing experience.

                  Soil and Health Library
                  is a website that provides free e-books, mainly in English, about
                  holistic agriculture and related topics.  Some of these are classics
                  published in the early and mid 1900s.  "The Natural Way of Farming" (1985) by
                  Masanobu Fukuoka is one of the books in this collection.  A small,
                  one-time monetary donation is requested to help cover the cost of
                  providing these e-books.

                  Nine minute video about Masanobu Fukuoka produced by one of his students, Larry Korn.

                  American do-nothing farming is a blog report of an American couple's experience on a homestead in Virginia.

                  A Farm for the Future
                  is a lovely and informative 48 minute video exploring the impact of
                  peak oil on agriculture, and the application of the permaculture and
                  natural "do-nothing" way of farming in the United Kingdom.

                  Agroforestry Research Trust is the website for Martin Crawford, the permaculturist presented in "A Farm for the Future" video.

                  is a link to a listserv on Fukuoka's natural way of farming that
                  started in 2001.  There are archived files of messages for the entire
                  period of the listserv.

                  Weedless Gardening
                  is an article about a book with the same title, by Lee Reich, published
                  in 2001, and that was mentioned in the fukuoka_farming Yahoo listserv.
                  Some of Reich's recommendations are: minimize soil desturbance by not
                  tilling, and keep the soil covered with mulch and/or cover crops.
                • Lawrence F. London, Jr.
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
                    I like the idea too. I can offer an umbrella Wiki where Fukuoka Farming
                    resources of all sorts can be collected, collaborated on, organized and
                    made available to the public.:
                    http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture/permaculturewiki/index.php/Main_Page
                    It is an installation of MediaWiki plus Semantic MediaWiki. I need to do
                    a lot of configuration work to make this site presentable but at least
                    it is up and running.

                    It was set up to become a Permaculture knowledgebase which, of course,
                    would contain a large section on Fukuoka, Natural Farming and the
                    community of people who developed small scale permanent biointensive
                    notill agriculture including Bonfils, Hazelip, Chadwick, Jeavons and
                    Coleman. Here are a few resources that might interest you:

                    Jamie Nichol's (souscayrous) biological farming & permaculture collection
                    http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/
                    Emilia Hazelip's Synergistic Agriculture - Collected Papers
                    http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/EmiliaHazelip-SynergisticAgriculture
                    Marc Bonfils' Agricultural Research
                    http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/MarcBonfils-AgriculturalResearch
                    souscayrous' albums (the two above) on PicasaWeb
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/souscayrous
                    - Much of Jamie's material is also in the archives of this list

                    Permaculture
                    http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture/
                    See especially:
                    Additional Soil Quality Links and Literature
                    Remineralize the Earth
                    USDA Soil Remineralization Workshop
                    Ecology Action
                    Ecology Action: SOIL
                    Discussion & Articles
                    Joe Cummins' posts to the Sanet-MG list 8/16/2002 to 7/18/2007
                    Compost Tea, Soil Foodweb, Soil Quality Discussion
                    Archive 1
                    Archive 2
                    Archive 3
                    Archive 4
                    Archive 5
                    Soils In Biological Agriculture
                    Remineralize the Earth
                    Glomalin: Hiding Place for a Third of the World's Stored Soil Carbon -
                    ARS Bulletin

                    Permaclture Mailing List

                    Gardening Hand Tool Sourcelist
                    Permanent No-Till Biointensive Double-Dug Raised Bed Garden Preparation
                    and Handtool Information & Sourcelist
                    http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/gardening-hand-tools.faq

                    On 4/4/2011 11:03 AM, Pietro Speroni di Fenizio wrote:
                    > Hi Elk,
                    > I think it is a wonderful idea!
                    >
                    > Wikipedia cannot be trusted to hold information. First of all by their own
                    > decision they do not welcome original research, which means that 90% of our
                    > material have no space over there and editors deleting it would just be
                    > doing their duty. This list serv is great as a list serv, but terrible for a
                    > new person looking for information. We need a place where the person can
                    > read what is it all about and travel around without having to search for the
                    > information.
                    >
                    > Many groups as they grow have moved from a mailing list to a forum to a
                    > wiki. It is quite natural as material starts to pile up and people are tired
                    > to repeat the same concepts over and over.
                    >
                    > The new website should not be in competition with this mailing list, but
                    > should be supporting it, linking to it. And similarly it would be great if
                    > this list could use this website to give material to read to newcomers, and
                    > store there its relevant information.
                    >
                    > I think we can and should make a wiki. I can also offer the space if it is
                    > needed, but I cannot offer the knowledge. I am a beginner myself. If I start
                    > such a project how many people would come and help in putting the data
                    > inside.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Pietro
                    >

                    > On 2 April 2011 02:42, fukuokae<fukuokae@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> Hi friends!
                    >>
                    >> I'd be interested in setting up an open / editable website about natural
                    >> farming. It would be like a blog where everybody could share his/her
                    >> experiences or publish articles. (Like wikipedia).
                    >>
                    >> It also would be a place where to host& publish files (pdf books,
                    >> pictures..) and to link to interesting resources. I see it as complementary
                    >> to this mailing list as it would be open to people looking on the web for
                    >> natural farming.
                    >>
                    >> So far I have no idea for the name.. I've seen than naturalfarming.org is
                    >> already taken by a fake site which goal is to sell ads :/...
                    >>
                    >> What do you think of this idea?
                    >>
                    >> Does anybody have an idea of a possible name for some kind of
                    >> non-commercial website?
                    >>
                    >> Any idea of things that you'd like to see in that kind of website?
                    >>
                    >> Thanks& good luck in your farming :)
                    >>
                    >> Love,
                    >>
                    >> elk
                  • Lawrence F. London, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
> [...]

                      > On 2 April 2011 02:42, fukuokae<fukuokae@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >> Hi friends!
                      >>
                      >> I'd be interested in setting up an open / editable website about natural
                      >> farming. It would be like a blog where everybody could share his/her
                      >> experiences or publish articles. (Like wikipedia).
                      >>
                      >> It also would be a place where to host& publish files (pdf books,
                      >> pictures..) and to link to interesting resources. I see it as complementary
                      >> to this mailing list as it would be open to people looking on the web for
                      >> natural farming.
                      >>
                      >> So far I have no idea for the name.. I've seen than naturalfarming.org is
                      >> already taken by a fake site which goal is to sell ads :/...
                      >>
                      >> What do you think of this idea?
                      >>
                      >> Does anybody have an idea of a possible name for some kind of
                      >> non-commercial website?
                      >>
                      >> Any idea of things that you'd like to see in that kind of website?

                    • Chida
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4, 2011
                        +1 to this idea! I see a lot of valuable information on this list that is
                        hard to search and look up.

                        This list is great and love it! A wiki where we can summarize ideas/tips
                        for new comers to get started on natural farming would be great!

                        It will be collective documentation that could evolve from this list. The
                        list will serve as the primary discussion forum as it has been so far.

                        A lot of new comers like me may have the same questions on natural farming
                        and methods which could be referred to a link instead of repeating them
                        again and again in the mailing lists.

                        Thoughts?

                        Anand

                        On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Carol Lake <drtmrpony@...> wrote:

                        > I think it's a great idea! I do PR and marketing for "green" businesses and
                        > organizations, and would be happy to build it at no charge on a wordpress
                        > platform, where we could all have access, or items to be posted could go
                        > through a moderator first. "Fukuoka Farming" is available.
                        > "FarmingwithNature.com" is also available.
                        >
                        > blessings,
                        >
                        > Carol Lake
                        >
                        > "As Above, So Below"
                        >
                        > www.DancingDogFarm.wordpress.com

                      • Jean Villafuerte
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                          To: Elk

                          Why don't you just make the site and invite us all. This is a free cyberworld.
                          Anybody who wants to be there, will be there and those who want somewhere else,
                          then so be it.

                          My 10cents...

                          jean
                          jean
                          http://www.ammado.com/nonprofit/46130
                          http://ormocwomen.blogspot.com/
                          http://evyouth.blogspot.com/
                          http://www.tcformoc.com/
                          http://pagtinabangayfoundation.blogspot.com/

                          visit my blogs and leave your comments.

                        • david.keltie@gmail.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 5, 2011
                            Agree - build it and they (we) will come...
                            Cheers, David