Re: [fukuoka_farming] Open / editable website about Natural Farming.

  • Carol Lake
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 2 5:22 AM
      I think it's a great idea! I do PR and marketing for "green" businesses and organizations, and would be happy to build it at no charge on a wordpress platform, where we could all have access, or items to be posted could go through a moderator first. "Fukuoka Farming" is available. "FarmingwithNature.com" is also available.

      blessings,

      Carol Lake

      "As Above, So Below"

      www.DancingDogFarm.wordpress.com

      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2 11:57 AM
        Or why not start out with a project to update and improve Wikipedia
        pages on specific natural farming principles, history, theory, and
        practice? And! Translating these Wikipedia articles from English
        into as many other languages as possible, that would be a wonderful
        help as well.

        I'm sure much more could be written in much greater depth and detail,
        and with excellent sourcing and lists of additional resources it would
        be invaluable to the Internet community as a whole.

        The natural farming article is in desperate need of some love:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_farming

        It's only one paragraph, and needs cleaned up! The article on Fukuoka
        is also in need of some improvements as well, apparently.

        Jonathan
      • de Rosas/Peterhans Family
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 2 12:13 PM
          I agree with John. It doesn't seem to get any better than this listserve. Less is more in terms of listserves and websites, etc. Better to be outside than in.
          take care -- paul peterhans (seattle)

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 2 2:17 PM
            Oops, the link to the article about Masanobu Fukuoka at WiserEarth is
            http://www.wiserearth.org/article/a35a9592f8d9cfa48a997b2c6b2b921c
            Regards,
            John Kintree

[...]

          • Steve Grannis
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 2 6:51 PM
              My first response was that this would be a duplication because this forum has a
              wealth of people and information that can be easily accessed. However, if
              someone has the energy and passion to develop more ways to spread information
              about natural farming then their efforts should be supported and encouraged!
              swords>plowshares>scythes! Wage Peace, Steve G

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 3 1:17 AM
                That would be a website distinct from this one then, which is just an
                informal group and not a site.
                If that other website is created I would be one of the first to visit it if
                it offers something worthwhile. Right now our present informal group is a
                good arrangement for me. Anyway I'm just a member and not a founder and
                that's only my personal opinion.
                If elk comes up with a prototype of his idea then I'd gladly check it out.
                Is elk your real name by the way?
                best
                RUTHIE

                2011/4/3 Steve Grannis <grannis04@...>

                > My first response was that this would be a duplication because this forum
                > has a
                > wealth of people and information that can be easily accessed. However, if
                > someone has the energy and passion to develop more ways to spread
                > information
                > about natural farming then their efforts should be supported and
                > encouraged!
                > swords>plowshares>scythes! Wage Peace, Steve G
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Pietro Speroni di Fenizio
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4 8:03 AM
                  Hi Elk,
                  I think it is a wonderf idea!

                  Wikipedia cannot be trusted to hold information. First of all by their own
                  decision they do not welcome original research, which means that 90% of our
                  material have no space over there and editors deleting it would just be
                  doing their duty. This list serv is great as a list serv, but terrible for a
                  new person looking for information. We need a place where the person can
                  read what is it all about and travel around without having to search for the
                  information.

                  Many groups as they grow have moved from a mailing list to a forum to a
                  wiki. It is quite natural as material starts to pile up and people are tired
                  to repeat the same concepts over and over.

                  The new website should not be in competition with this mailing list, but
                  should be supporting it, linking to it. And similarly it would be great if
                  this list could use this website to give material to read to newcomers, and
                  store there its relevant information.

                  I think we can and should make a wiki. I can also offer the space if it is
                  needed, but I cannot offer the knowledge. I am a beginner myself. If I start
                  such a project how many people would come and help in putting the data
                  inside.

                  Cheers,
                  Pietro

                  On 2 April 2011 02:42, fukuokae <fukuokae@...> wrote:

                  > Hi friends!
                  >
                  > I'd be interested in setting up an open / editable website about natural
                  > farming. It would be like a blog where everybody could share his/her
                  > experiences or publish articles. (Like wikipedia).
                  >
                  > It also would be a place where to host & publish files (pdf books,
                  > pictures..) and to link to interesting resources. I see it as complementary
                  > to this mailing list as it would be open to people looking on the web for
                  > natural farming.
                  >
                  > So far I have no idea for the name.. I've seen than naturalfarming.org is
                  > already taken by a fake site which goal is to sell ads :/...
                  >
                  > What do you think of this idea?
                  >
                  > Does anybody have an idea of a possible name for some kind of
                  > non-commercial website?
                  >
                  > Any idea of things that you'd like to see in that kind of website?
                  >
                  > Thanks & good luck in your farming :)
                  >
                  > Love,
                  >
                  > elk

                • John Kintree
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 4 8:31 AM
                    The following is the content of the wikipage article about Masanobu Fukuoka at WiserEarth:
                    http://www.wiserearth.org/article/eb2544562829a62a88613455a0af2261
                    At
                    age 25 in 1937, Masanobu Fukuoka had a spiritual experience that
                    transformed his life.  He left his job as a microbiologist in Yokohama,
                    Japan, and returned to his father's farm.  He spent years developing a
                    natural "do nothing" way of farming in order to validate his spiritual
                    insight.  His methods included not tilling the soil, and not using
                    chemical fertilizers, herbicides, or pesticides.  For a period of
                    decades, with these methods, he achieved yields of rice and barley as
                    high as found in neighboring farms that used industrial methods, and at
                    the same time, the soil on his farm was becoming deeper and more
                    fertile.
                    Resources
                    Article about "The One-Straw Revolution" (1978) by Masanobu Fukuoka.

                    The One-Straw Revolution
                    by Masanobu Fukuoka, 181 pages plus Preface and Introduction, 616 kB
                    pdf-format copy.   It presents both his way of no-till, chemical-free,
                    soil enhancing farming, and his way of life.  Reading this could be a
                    life-changing experience.

                    Soil and Health Library
                    is a website that provides free e-books, mainly in English, about
                    holistic agriculture and related topics.  Some of these are classics
                    published in the early and mid 1900s.  "The Natural Way of Farming" (1985) by
                    Masanobu Fukuoka is one of the books in this collection.  A small,
                    one-time monetary donation is requested to help cover the cost of
                    providing these e-books.

                    Nine minute video about Masanobu Fukuoka produced by one of his students, Larry Korn.

                    American do-nothing farming is a blog report of an American couple's experience on a homestead in Virginia.

                    A Farm for the Future
                    is a lovely and informative 48 minute video exploring the impact of
                    peak oil on agriculture, and the application of the permaculture and
                    natural "do-nothing" way of farming in the United Kingdom.

                    Agroforestry Research Trust is the website for Martin Crawford, the permaculturist presented in "A Farm for the Future" video.

                    is a link to a listserv on Fukuoka's natural way of farming that
                    started in 2001.  There are archived files of messages for the entire
                    period of the listserv.

                    Weedless Gardening
                    is an article about a book with the same title, by Lee Reich, published
                    in 2001, and that was mentioned in the fukuoka_farming Yahoo listserv.
                    Some of Reich's recommendations are: minimize soil desturbance by not
                    tilling, and keep the soil covered with mulch and/or cover crops.
                  • Lawrence F. London, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 4 9:15 AM
                      I like the idea too. I can offer an umbrella Wiki where Fukuoka Farming
                      resources of all sorts can be collected, collaborated on, organized and
                      made available to the public.:
                      http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture/permaculturewiki/index.php/Main_Page
                      It is an installation of MediaWiki plus Semantic MediaWiki. I need to do
                      a lot of configuration work to make this site presentable but at least
                      it is up and running.

                      It was set up to become a Permaculture knowledgebase which, of course,
                      would contain a large section on Fukuoka, Natural Farming and the
                      community of people who developed small scale permanent biointensive
                      notill agriculture including Bonfils, Hazelip, Chadwick, Jeavons and
                      Coleman. Here are a few resources that might interest you:

                      Jamie Nichol's (souscayrous) biological farming & permaculture collection
                      http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/
                      Emilia Hazelip's Synergistic Agriculture - Collected Papers
                      http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/EmiliaHazelip-SynergisticAgriculture
                      Marc Bonfils' Agricultural Research
                      http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/souscayrous/MarcBonfils-AgriculturalResearch
                      souscayrous' albums (the two above) on PicasaWeb
                      http://picasaweb.google.com/souscayrous
                      - Much of Jamie's material is also in the archives of this list

                      Permaculture
                      http://www.ibiblio.org/permaculture/
                      See especially:
                      Additional Soil Quality Links and Literature
                      Remineralize the Earth
                      USDA Soil Remineralization Workshop
                      Ecology Action
                      Ecology Action: SOIL
                      Discussion & Articles
                      Joe Cummins' posts to the Sanet-MG list 8/16/2002 to 7/18/2007
                      Compost Tea, Soil Foodweb, Soil Quality Discussion
                      Archive 1
                      Archive 2
                      Archive 3
                      Archive 4
                      Archive 5
                      Soils In Biological Agriculture
                      Remineralize the Earth
                      Glomalin: Hiding Place for a Third of the World's Stored Soil Carbon -
                      ARS Bulletin

                      Permaclture Mailing List

                      Gardening Hand Tool Sourcelist
                      Permanent No-Till Biointensive Double-Dug Raised Bed Garden Preparation
                      and Handtool Information & Sourcelist
                      http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/gardening-hand-tools.faq

                      On 4/4/2011 11:03 AM, Pietro Speroni di Fenizio wrote:
                      > Hi Elk,
                      > I think it is a wonderful idea!
                      >
                      > Wikipedia cannot be trusted to hold information. First of all by their own
                      > decision they do not welcome original research, which means that 90% of our
                      > material have no space over there and editors deleting it would just be
                      > doing their duty. This list serv is great as a list serv, but terrible for a
                      > new person looking for information. We need a place where the person can
                      > read what is it all about and travel around without having to search for the
                      > information.
                      >
                      > Many groups as they grow have moved from a mailing list to a forum to a
                      > wiki. It is quite natural as material starts to pile up and people are tired
                      > to repeat the same concepts over and over.
                      >
                      > The new website should not be in competition with this mailing list, but
                      > should be supporting it, linking to it. And similarly it would be great if
                      > this list could use this website to give material to read to newcomers, and
                      > store there its relevant information.
                      >
                      > I think we can and should make a wiki. I can also offer the space if it is
                      > needed, but I cannot offer the knowledge. I am a beginner myself. If I start
                      > such a project how many people would come and help in putting the data
                      > inside.
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Pietro
                      >

                      > On 2 April 2011 02:42, fukuokae<fukuokae@...> wrote:
                      >

                      >> Hi friends!
                      >>
                      >> I'd be interested in setting up an open / editable website about natural
                      >> farming. It would be like a blog where everybody could share his/her
                      >> experiences or publish articles. (Like wikipedia).
                      >>
                      >> It also would be a place where to host& publish files (pdf books,
                      >> pictures..) and to link to interesting resources. I see it as complementary
                      >> to this mailing list as it would be open to people looking on the web for
                      >> natural farming.
                      >>
                      >> So far I have no idea for the name.. I've seen than naturalfarming.org is
                      >> already taken by a fake site which goal is to sell ads :/...
                      >>
                      >> What do you think of this idea?
                      >>
                      >> Does anybody have an idea of a possible name for some kind of
                      >> non-commercial website?
                      >>
                      >> Any idea of things that you'd like to see in that kind of website?
                      >>
                      >> Thanks& good luck in your farming :)
                      >>
                      >> Love,
                      >>
                      >> elk
                    • Lawrence F. London, Jr.
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 4 11:15 AM
> [...]

                        > On 2 April 2011 02:42, fukuokae<fukuokae@...> wrote:
                        >

                        >> Hi friends!
                        >>
                        >> I'd be interested in setting up an open / editable website about natural
                        >> farming. It would be like a blog where everybody could share his/her
                        >> experiences or publish articles. (Like wikipedia).
                        >>
                        >> It also would be a place where to host& publish files (pdf books,
                        >> pictures..) and to link to interesting resources. I see it as complementary
                        >> to this mailing list as it would be open to people looking on the web for
                        >> natural farming.
                        >>
                        >> So far I have no idea for the name.. I've seen than naturalfarming.org is
                        >> already taken by a fake site which goal is to sell ads :/...
                        >>
                        >> What do you think of this idea?
                        >>
                        >> Does anybody have an idea of a possible name for some kind of
                        >> non-commercial website?
                        >>
                        >> Any idea of things that you'd like to see in that kind of website?

                      • Chida
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 4 7:46 PM
                          +1 to this idea! I see a lot of valuable information on this list that is
                          hard to search and look up.

                          This list is great and love it! A wiki where we can summarize ideas/tips
                          for new comers to get started on natural farming would be great!

                          It will be collective documentation that could evolve from this list. The
                          list will serve as the primary discussion forum as it has been so far.

                          A lot of new comers like me may have the same questions on natural farming
                          and methods which could be referred to a link instead of repeating them
                          again and again in the mailing lists.

                          Thoughts?

                          Anand

                          On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 5:52 PM, Carol Lake <drtmrpony@...> wrote:

                          > I think it's a great idea! I do PR and marketing for "green" businesses and
                          > organizations, and would be happy to build it at no charge on a wordpress
                          > platform, where we could all have access, or items to be posted could go
                          > through a moderator first. "Fukuoka Farming" is available.
                          > "FarmingwithNature.com" is also available.
                          >
                          > blessings,
                          >
                          > Carol Lake
                          >
                          > "As Above, So Below"
                          >
                          > www.DancingDogFarm.wordpress.com

                        • Jean Villafuerte
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 5 12:36 AM
                            To: Elk

                            Why don't you just make the site and invite us all. This is a free cyberworld.
                            Anybody who wants to be there, will be there and those who want somewhere else,
                            then so be it.

                            My 10cents...

                            jean
                            jean
                            http://www.ammado.com/nonprofit/46130
                            http://ormocwomen.blogspot.com/
                            http://evyouth.blogspot.com/
                            http://www.tcformoc.com/
                            http://pagtinabangayfoundation.blogspot.com/

                            visit my blogs and leave your comments.

                          • david.keltie@gmail.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 5 1:09 AM
                              Agree - build it and they (we) will come...
                              Cheers, David