Re: Potatoes: South American Indians to receive royalties

  • fujiinn
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
      And do you really think that the money will reach the Peruvian communities?
    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
        It won't
        (Ah yes that's pessimistic alright.)
        Maybe 10% will got to them and the rest to all the human resources required
        to collect it, and they will need offices, and salaries, and lots of flights
        to promote such a good idea, and they will need ads....
        And there I'm being optimistic because the Indians might not even get those
        10%.
        Who says charity isn't profitable?

        best
        RUTHIE

        2011/4/2 fujiinn <fujiinn@...>

        > And do you really think that the money will reach the Peruvian communities?

      • Jason Stewart
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
          Congratulations to all India! –winning the Cricket World Cup BTW (by the way) –
          entirely seriously i mean—and serious celebrations i hear—i say without any
          element at all of April 1st fools day humour joking at all... .
          .
          .
          Biggest best wishes to all Japanese, all cricket fans, and to all,
          .
          Jason Stewart
          –busy in south eastern Oz.

          ________________________________
          From: Jason Stewart <macropneuma@...>
          Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Potatoes: South American Indians to receive royalties
          To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Saturday, 2 April, 2011, 4:03 AM

          Some good news:

          -> http://www.survivalinternational.org/news/7144

          .

          from yesterday morning our time here in Australia :) .

          .

          .

          Biggest best wishes to all Japanese and to all,

          .

          Jason Stewart

          busy in south eastern Oz.

          .

        • Sumant Joshi
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
            Well, the question is not whether they will get anything or not. It is a totally new concept, people have to get used to the fact that farmers should be given credit for developing farmable food. That should put Monsanto and cargill seed companies on the back foot. They have been taking patents for 'improved' seeds which have been developed by someone else and making money out of it without paying royalties.

            2011/4/2 fujiinn <fujiinn@...>

            > And do you really think that the money will reach the Peruvian communities?

          • Ricardo García Moreno
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
              Dear all: I have been reading posts from everyone here for some months now:
              THANKS SO MUCH for all the information! Today I felt the impulse to write my own
              comments:

              1.- on the website, really think this works great, maybe we could rethink of
              making a list of resources, farmers and NF interested-related people by country
              (In Europe, where I live there is not a lot of information, that could help...)

              2.- on the potato royalties for South American indians I agree completely with
              what Sumant Joshi wrote (see below), this royalties should be charged to
              Monsanto and their kind... and also with Rutie: will this money ever reach the
              indian communities? and my own opinion: will consummers be paying for this 1%
              increase in the price? capitalism always has a way of creating income...

              ...but as a symbol is a grat step though!!

              Dear people, you can count on me to spread the ideas of M Fukuoka here in Spain.
              I practice meditation and his MU (the technique of no technique) really got
              me...

              I work in urban vegetable gardens and have my plants in pots at my urban house
              balcony, but my aim is to find a place to move in the countryside and create a
              NF. Meanwhile just learning as much as I can!

              love,
              Ricardo

              ***************___________eot_________****************

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                IMHO, there is a logic issue in your statement. If the question is not whether the peruvian communities will recieve their royalties, then what's the point of this tax? To put Monsanto on it's toes? And how will it accomplish that, by taxing common folk even more? I think Monsanto is really terrified, considering that this innitative is supporting their copyright on DNA. And I think it's really important to understand what's going to happen with all this money. I can't believe that from lying and cheating something good could come out. It just doesn't happen :)

                Sorry if I rant too much...

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                  Welcome aboard Ricardo.

                  From: Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...>

                  royalties

                  To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com

                  Cc: "fujiinn" <fujiinn@...>

                  Date: Saturday, 2 April, 2011, 7:13 PM

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                    I think the point is, once it is acknowledged that it is farmers who are responsible for 'developing' farmable food, these companies will find it much more difficult to get patents for something they have not made. I have not understood how this initiative is supporting their DNA copyright? Well I guess money, especially if there is too much of it, is bad.
                    and fujiinn, this is a place to rant and rant and rant, I do it all the time.
                    :))

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                      From:
                      -> http://www.facebook.com/survival/posts/145102382222736
                      .
                      Survival International commented on their own link.
                      .
                      —Quoting them: "
                      .
                      Survival International Many people ask, ‘What can tribal peoples teach the rest
                      of the world?’ Most don’t know that tribal peoples have already given the world
                      some of its most important foodstuffs, which sustain billions of people and
                      which have already saved countless lives.

                      The purpose of the 2011 Survival April Fool was to shock people into realising
                      this important fact.

                      Tribal peoples did not develop advanced machine-based technology; but they did
                      develop most of the world’s staple food crops. When allowed to, they often still
                      choose a way of life different to that of industrialised society. This doesn’t
                      mean they are ‘backward’ or ‘primitive’. They are a vital component of the
                      world’s human diversity, but are routinely treated with contempt, their rights
                      abused, and their ways of life denied them.

                      Survival seeks to change this. Its April Fool is just one of many tools used to
                      do so.
                      "
                      .
                      -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiree_potato
                      .
                      -> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dauphinoise
                      .
                      -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratin#Gratin_dauphinois
                      .
                      humour has great importance...

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 5, 2011
                        Thanks Jason for clearing this up. I was about to ask for the source of this news once I was unable to find anything about this "Intellectual Property Tribunal" or "Dr. Desiree Dauphinoise".

                        To answer Sumant Joshi, this, now hypotetical, fee would have been paid by the consumer, and it's exactly that, copyright. Monsanto charges it's customers and imposes draconic measures on them so that it's copyright is preserved. What's the difference? Even if Monsanto was forced by this hypotethical tribunal to pay this fee (assuming the UN tribunal has jurisdiction over a multinational corporation, and potato GMO was an important crop for them - here I think soy and corn are the base for Monsanto), the fee would have been paid by the people buying the GMO potato seeds. I don't see how this fee would stop corporations to put a copyright claim on a crop they didn't develop from scratch, because the peruvians didn't develop this crop from scratch either. And the discussion could keep on, and on, and on :)

                        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Jason Stewart <macropneuma@...> wrote:

                        > From:
                        > -> http://www.facebook.com/survival/posts/145102382222736
                        > .
                        > Survival International commented on their own link.
                        > .
                        > â€"Quoting them: "
                        > .
                        > Survival International Many people ask, ‘What can tribal peoples teach the rest
                        > of the world?’ Most don’t know that tribal peoples have already given the world
                        > some of its most important foodstuffs, which sustain billions of people and
                        > which have already saved countless lives.
                        >
                        > The purpose of the 2011 Survival April Fool was to shock people into realising
                        > this important fact.
                        >
                        > Tribal peoples did not develop advanced machine-based technology; but they did
                        > develop most of the world’s staple food crops. When allowed to, they often still
                        > choose a way of life different to that of industrialised society. This doesn’t
                        > mean they are ‘backward’ or ‘primitive’. They are a vital component of the
                        > world’s human diversity, but are routinely treated with contempt, their rights
                        > abused, and their ways of life denied them.
                        >
                        > Survival seeks to change this. Its April Fool is just one of many tools used to
                        > do so.
                        > "
                        > .
                        > -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiree_potato
                        > .
                        > -> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dauphinoise
                        > .
                        > -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratin#Gratin_dauphinois
                        > .
                        > humour has great importance...
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • Sumant Joshi
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 5, 2011
                          Well, I guess this money thing sucks, one way or other. It destroys people.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 7, 2011
                            You call this humor???
                            If I were an Indian I would feel very bad indeed, not to receive my money.
                            It is bad taste, it is mean.
                            Sorry for this late reaction, but I couldn't pinpoint until now what was
                            bothering me about this post and put it in words.
                            Just a question, are our group members more aware now of the plight of
                            tribal people, after reading this stuff?
                            Does this article make them want to plant more, in smaller farms, with lower
                            profit cash crops? (Cash crops?!?!)

                            RUTHIE