Re: [fukuoka_farming] Potatoes: South American Indians to receive royalties

  • Sumant Joshi
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
      Thanks Jason for sharing. Great news indeed, a step in the right direction.

      Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

      Warm regards,

      Sumant Joshi
      Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
        And do you really think that the money will reach the Peruvian communities?
      • Ruthie Aquino
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
          It won't
          (Ah yes that's pessimistic alright.)
          Maybe 10% will got to them and the rest to all the human resources required
          to collect it, and they will need offices, and salaries, and lots of flights
          to promote such a good idea, and they will need ads....
          And there I'm being optimistic because the Indians might not even get those
          10%.
          Who says charity isn't profitable?

          best
          RUTHIE

          2011/4/2 fujiinn <fujiinn@...>

          > And do you really think that the money will reach the Peruvian communities?

        • Jason Stewart
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
            Congratulations to all India! –winning the Cricket World Cup BTW (by the way) –
            entirely seriously i mean—and serious celebrations i hear—i say without any
            element at all of April 1st fools day humour joking at all... .
            .
            .
            Biggest best wishes to all Japanese, all cricket fans, and to all,
            .
            Jason Stewart
            –busy in south eastern Oz.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
              Well, the question is not whether they will get anything or not. It is a totally new concept, people have to get used to the fact that farmers should be given credit for developing farmable food. That should put Monsanto and cargill seed companies on the back foot. They have been taking patents for 'improved' seeds which have been developed by someone else and making money out of it without paying royalties.

              2011/4/2 fujiinn <fujiinn@...>

              > And do you really think that the money will reach the Peruvian communities?

            • Ricardo García Moreno
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
                Dear all: I have been reading posts from everyone here for some months now:
                THANKS SO MUCH for all the information! Today I felt the impulse to write my own
                comments:

                1.- on the website, really think this works great, maybe we could rethink of
                making a list of resources, farmers and NF interested-related people by country
                (In Europe, where I live there is not a lot of information, that could help...)

                2.- on the potato royalties for South American indians I agree completely with
                what Sumant Joshi wrote (see below), this royalties should be charged to
                Monsanto and their kind... and also with Rutie: will this money ever reach the
                indian communities? and my own opinion: will consummers be paying for this 1%
                increase in the price? capitalism always has a way of creating income...

                ...but as a symbol is a grat step though!!

                Dear people, you can count on me to spread the ideas of M Fukuoka here in Spain.
                I practice meditation and his MU (the technique of no technique) really got
                me...

                I work in urban vegetable gardens and have my plants in pots at my urban house
                balcony, but my aim is to find a place to move in the countryside and create a
                NF. Meanwhile just learning as much as I can!

                love,
                Ricardo

                ***************___________eot_________****************

                ________________________________

                2011/4/2 fujiinn <fujiinn@...>

                > And do you really think that the money will reach the Peruvian communities?

              • fujiinn
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                  IMHO, there is a logic issue in your statement. If the question is not whether the peruvian communities will recieve their royalties, then what's the point of this tax? To put Monsanto on it's toes? And how will it accomplish that, by taxing common folk even more? I think Monsanto is really terrified, considering that this innitative is supporting their copyright on DNA. And I think it's really important to understand what's going to happen with all this money. I can't believe that from lying and cheating something good could come out. It just doesn't happen :)

                  Sorry if I rant too much...

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                    Welcome aboard Ricardo.

                    From: Ruthie Aquino <ruthieaquino1@...>

                    royalties

                    To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com

                    Cc: "fujiinn" <fujiinn@...>

                    Date: Saturday, 2 April, 2011, 7:13 PM

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                      I think the point is, once it is acknowledged that it is farmers who are responsible for 'developing' farmable food, these companies will find it much more difficult to get patents for something they have not made. I have not understood how this initiative is supporting their DNA copyright? Well I guess money, especially if there is too much of it, is bad.
                      and fujiinn, this is a place to rant and rant and rant, I do it all the time.
                      :))

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 4, 2011
                        From:
                        -> http://www.facebook.com/survival/posts/145102382222736
                        .
                        Survival International commented on their own link.
                        .
                        —Quoting them: "
                        .
                        Survival International Many people ask, ‘What can tribal peoples teach the rest
                        of the world?’ Most don’t know that tribal peoples have already given the world
                        some of its most important foodstuffs, which sustain billions of people and
                        which have already saved countless lives.

                        The purpose of the 2011 Survival April Fool was to shock people into realising
                        this important fact.

                        Tribal peoples did not develop advanced machine-based technology; but they did
                        develop most of the world’s staple food crops. When allowed to, they often still
                        choose a way of life different to that of industrialised society. This doesn’t
                        mean they are ‘backward’ or ‘primitive’. They are a vital component of the
                        world’s human diversity, but are routinely treated with contempt, their rights
                        abused, and their ways of life denied them.

                        Survival seeks to change this. Its April Fool is just one of many tools used to
                        do so.
                        "
                        .
                        -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiree_potato
                        .
                        -> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dauphinoise
                        .
                        -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratin#Gratin_dauphinois
                        .
                        humour has great importance...

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 5, 2011
                          Thanks Jason for clearing this up. I was about to ask for the source of this news once I was unable to find anything about this "Intellectual Property Tribunal" or "Dr. Desiree Dauphinoise".

                          To answer Sumant Joshi, this, now hypotetical, fee would have been paid by the consumer, and it's exactly that, copyright. Monsanto charges it's customers and imposes draconic measures on them so that it's copyright is preserved. What's the difference? Even if Monsanto was forced by this hypotethical tribunal to pay this fee (assuming the UN tribunal has jurisdiction over a multinational corporation, and potato GMO was an important crop for them - here I think soy and corn are the base for Monsanto), the fee would have been paid by the people buying the GMO potato seeds. I don't see how this fee would stop corporations to put a copyright claim on a crop they didn't develop from scratch, because the peruvians didn't develop this crop from scratch either. And the discussion could keep on, and on, and on :)

                          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Jason Stewart <macropneuma@...> wrote:

                          > From:
                          > -> http://www.facebook.com/survival/posts/145102382222736
                          > .
                          > Survival International commented on their own link.
                          > .
                          > â€"Quoting them: "
                          > .
                          > Survival International Many people ask, ‘What can tribal peoples teach the rest
                          > of the world?’ Most don’t know that tribal peoples have already given the world
                          > some of its most important foodstuffs, which sustain billions of people and
                          > which have already saved countless lives.
                          >
                          > The purpose of the 2011 Survival April Fool was to shock people into realising
                          > this important fact.
                          >
                          > Tribal peoples did not develop advanced machine-based technology; but they did
                          > develop most of the world’s staple food crops. When allowed to, they often still
                          > choose a way of life different to that of industrialised society. This doesn’t
                          > mean they are ‘backward’ or ‘primitive’. They are a vital component of the
                          > world’s human diversity, but are routinely treated with contempt, their rights
                          > abused, and their ways of life denied them.
                          >
                          > Survival seeks to change this. Its April Fool is just one of many tools used to
                          > do so.
                          > "
                          > .
                          > -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiree_potato
                          > .
                          > -> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dauphinoise
                          > .
                          > -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratin#Gratin_dauphinois
                          > .
                          > humour has great importance...
                          >
                          > ________________________________

                        • Sumant Joshi
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 5, 2011
                            Well, I guess this money thing sucks, one way or other. It destroys people.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 7, 2011
                              You call this humor???
                              If I were an Indian I would feel very bad indeed, not to receive my money.
                              It is bad taste, it is mean.
                              Sorry for this late reaction, but I couldn't pinpoint until now what was
                              bothering me about this post and put it in words.
                              Just a question, are our group members more aware now of the plight of
                              tribal people, after reading this stuff?
                              Does this article make them want to plant more, in smaller farms, with lower
                              profit cash crops? (Cash crops?!?!)

                              RUTHIE