news

  • Sumant Joshi
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
      Hi all,
      Saw the awesome power of nature in Japan. I wonder what happens to the soil which has become saline. It will take many many rains before it washes off the salt. How does NF help in this?

      Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

      Warm regards,

      Sumant Joshi
      Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

    • Jason Stewart
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
        Salt tolerant plant will naturally grow themselves, and seeding more of them can
        work with and assist vegetation–nature's recovery; As do mangroves, reeds and
        halophytes eg. many _Chenopodium_ species. Mangroves, reeds and halophytes, for
        three examples, grow abundantly in your Indian subcontinent and here in
        Australian subcontinent, and already in those places in the islands of Japan
        which were already salty. As here in Australia i would expect to see photos in a
        few months of the coming spring of many many reeds and halophytes temporarily
        growing in these temporarily salt affected areas. Many of them have edible plant
        parts, if the soil isn't contaminated with heavy metals or such like. Naturally
        in many parts of the world's beaches shallow underground fresh water tables,
        naturally occur, because the rain waters which have fallen over months and years
        of previous in all upslope catchment areas move downslope, and move not just in
        creeks and rivers and other drainage lines but widely in water tables which come
        to shallow depths near the beaches and often to the surface just at beach berms.
        Salt water is denser than fresh water. The sea salt water tables at beaches
        underly the fresh ground water tables if they exists, which have moved
        downslopes from the higher land. Nature writ large restores herself very quickly
        from an assault from one bit of nature; With the proviso that humans don't stuff
        up the restoration.
        .
        .
        Biggest best wishes to all Japanese and to all,
        .
        Jason Stewart
        busy in south eastern Oz.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
          Also, asparagus (vegetables crops) are well known to be salt tolerant
          (commercial) crops, for example. Which, in this temporarily brackish habitat, in
          turn could be propagated and nature–farmed, instead of merely just commercially
          farmed –merely for money.

          ________________________________
          Saw the awesome power of nature in Japan. I wonder what happens to the soil
          which has become saline. It will take many many rains before it washes off the
          salt. How does NF help in this?

          Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

          Warm regards,

          Sumant Joshi
          Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

        • Boovarahan Srinivasan
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
            If my memory serves me right , some rice varieties grow well even in salt
            water .

            Boovarahan S

          • Jason Stewart

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 15, 2011
                  Hey, thats an amazing bit of software!! and the effects of the tsunami are equally mind boggling

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 24, 2011
                    Nothing to worry. The one time sea water flush will not make the soil saline. In
                    fact, it will make the soil fertile. Watch for bounty crops from tsunami areas.

                    Francisco