Re: waterwise varieties

  • J. P.
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2002
      >>>What bean strains have you worked with, and what results? Wondered if
      you've tried tepary beans yet, and how has your amaranth turned out?

      the snails delighted in my amaranth sprouts, so I only got one to fruition.
      It was gorgeous, golden, full headed. I had never seen it before except in
      photos. I'm not sure it would polinate properly with only one plant, and
      also I had no clue when to harvest it. I have hung it to dry. I don't
      know if this is appropriate. I had to pull it out yesterday, as today we are
      preparing the garden for the fall season and a new expansion that takes it
      to double the size.

      sorry folks, no "no-till" news here, we did our expansion with full bore
      rototiller and compost amendment. I had to. it used to be a bermuda grass
      (cynodon dactylon) lawn-ish area. I quizzed another international email
      list (GardeningOrganically) and noone had an organic solution to the
      inevitable bermudagrass invasion. black plastic doesn't work on the deep
      stolons, and short of roundup and other haz-mats there doesn't seem to be a
      substance I can apply. I have searched. so the conclusion was that
      hand-picking was the only way. I dreamed of a Fukuoka seedball start, where
      I wouldn't have to do this step, but I have tried in other areas of the yard
      to coexist with the bermuda and it really doesn't work. pretty hideous in
      fact.

      I did try tepary beans, but I think I gave them too much abandonment and too
      little care. they did sprout, and got a few leaves, but I didn't check them
      for a few weeks and they were gone. I didn't even see whether it was
      snails, or lack of watering-attention, or what. my understanding is that
      the teparies have to be far away from other beans, so I had them on the
      other side of the house, among my Calif natives, where I rarely water.
      basically, better luck next year.

      other beans/legumes: this year I have grown Anazazi (Bountiful Gardens),
      Mixed heirloom french snap (Bountiful Gardens), O'odham Vayo (Native
      Seed/Search), Tongue of fire (Bountiful Gardens), Yoeme Purple string
      (Native Seed/Search), and the Native Seed/search cowpeas - I don't have the
      variety name in front of me. last yr the cowpeas were great. this yr I put
      them in very late and they're still going strong. I've grown the Yoeme for
      2 years - they aren't the best green bean ever. The Mixed heirloom are far
      better as green beans. but the Anasazi and the Tongue of fire are so pretty
      as dried beans. we have yet to eat them, but the harvest is in. I did all
      of these in biointensive layout and maintenance, altho many I included in my
      Native American 4 sisters area, which kinda crossed over the line
      approaching a Fukuoka inspired wildness. I pulled the corn & beans as they
      matured, but the squash is still out there. I have noticed on the cowpeas
      that they do better if I ease off the water once they begin to set.

      squash in the 4 sisters section is Native Seeds/search Tohono O'odham Ha:l,
      Mayo Kama, and Cooks Gardens Rouge Vif pumpkin. the Mayo Kama & pumpkin are
      maturing, while we eat the Ha:l young - it is excellent. I also grow Cooks
      Gardens Tromboncino, which I select because it is a zucchini-like squash yet
      is vining. I need the small footprint. All of the squash does much better
      with water.

      I also have leeks (Bountiful Garden, I think King Richard) somewhere hidden
      beneath all this, although I think I may have lost them to bolting. I made
      some soup yesterday with bolting leeks, and it is possible, but there is a
      woody part in the center - far better to harvest on time!!! tomatillos
      smack in the middle, cosmos and heirloom cherry tomatoes to the side, and a
      grapevine on the wall behind, plus sunflowers (Cooks Garden, giant edible),
      and beneficial flowers (Calif poppies, sweet alyssium, yarrow, dill, some
      Bountiful Gardens Bene mix), so this part of my garden can either be
      described as approaching Fukuoka, or a total mess, pick your premises!!!
      LOL. oh, I forgot, I also have a small cassava in there!

      Joanne
      Los Angeles