complexity and efficiency

  • michael hollihn
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2011
      Joseph Tainter quote from Ruthie?
      > insight into the process of complexity and how it emerges out of an
      > increasing net energy flow. As energy is available (either in the form of
      > slave humans or animals or... as is the case of today's society, fossil
      > fuel
      > bounty) society starts becoming complex in order to solve 'problems'. But
      > it
      > eventually reaches a point where most of the low-hanging-problems are
      > solved
      > and the remaining problems require so much of energy inputs that it starts
      > failing.
      with both eras of humans
      hunters and gatherers
      and agricultural people
      food habits may have changed
      but mental habits (read ego) have not
      this is the challenge facing us
      Tainter and Diamond write of external energies
      It is internal energies (focussing on ego and self, wants versus needs)
      That require the most energy input
      This is why we choose to look outward for change
      and never find it
      Masanobu was right as were/are all the sages who look within

      michael hollihn
      british columbia
      www.pranatimberframes.com
      www.michaelhollihn.wordpress.com
      building food and shelter security in the Kettle River watershed

      'Be the change that you want to see' ghandi
      breath is bridge between mind body spirit
      insert silence into the daily run of mind
      meditate on words of loving kindness
      existence precedes essence
      you are not your thoughts
      you are all relations