2 in 1 translation Re: Fire in Natural Farms

  • Sumant Joshi
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5 5:13 AM
      these are two posts I received Mr Raju Titus in Hindi.
      Some mis-conceptions related to NFNo-till farming prevents runoff, of plant material in the form of gases when they degrade in the soil. one acre of tilled land causes about 5 to 15 tons loss. If you simply stop tilling, organic material content in the soil starts improving quickly. in addition to this, any and every other kind of organic matter when put back into the soil will be good for it. all of us understand the importance of organic material in soil but collecting such material and composting it is equally important (Cecile!!). In India nowadays, organic waste is composted and sold to farmers as organic fertilizer. this causes many poisons and unknown microbes are reaching the farmland. I don't think natural farming is tilling and using this 'organic fertilizer'. this kind of expensive 'organic fertilizer' is nothing but hoodwinking the customer.
      Dear friends,
      From the day I started NF, I have had to learn to deal with stray cattle and fire and this has caused us to work extra hard. the problem of fire is also due to the fact that farmers nearby believe in burning their straw. they use a wheat harvester which removes the wheat and leaves the chaff behind on the field. farmers then light this straw which causes a fire to sometimes spread and destroy trees, fodder and sometimes even houses on neighbouring farms. The government has now started telling farmers to stop the practice. sometimes they also punish offenders. But e have to be always alert to save our farms from this scourge. extra expenses are involved in clearing trash around the farm. The moment we see a fire approaching, we have to jump in and douse it. As time passes, the humidity on a NF will increase and the danger due to fire recedes. At the local level, we could store straw in one place and mulch it just before the rains come, educate
      neighbouring farmers to not light unattended fires, and make a firewall of evergreen trees near our farm boundary.
      thank you
      Raju
      Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

      Warm regards,