Re: [fukuoka_farming] translated - Fwd: प्रा क्रतिक खेती (EDITED)

  • Ruthie Aquino
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 2, 2011
      Thankyou for translating.

      best regards
      RUTHIE

      2011/3/2 Sumant Joshi <sumant_jo@...>

> [...]
      > The food produced is also of very poor nutritional quality.In NF there is
      > no violence whereas in till based farming there is violence against the
      > micro-organisms living in the soil. tilling causes the stored natural
      > fertilizer to turn into carbon dioxide which is one of the causes of global
      > warming. since rain water isn't allowed to percolate into the soil,
      > alternate drought and flooding takes place. On the other hand rainfall
      > itself is showing a reducing trend. no-till farming also requires 80% lower
      > capital inputs. NF is easy and anyone including little kids can do it.
      > broadcasting seeds and covering them with last year's crop residue is
      > enough for a good harvest. till based farming isn't possible without
      > machines whereas no till NF just needs simple hand operated farming tools.
      > it also affords year long income to labourers. no-till farming is friendly
      > towards shady trees whereas till based farming is notoriously anti-tree. we
      > aren't talking of allowing cows to live, we also want elephants and other
      > living bengs to live on this Earth since it is their right. NF is best to
      > create a green world around us.101 year old Mr Champalal Pirodia told
      > everyone present that even he can do this type of farming by just
      > broadcasting seed on the ground and thats how I started. NF is based on
      > truth and non-violence. we can make farming independent of (fuel) oil
      > slavery and stop farmer suicides.Mr Mohanlalji Pirodia is a practicing NF
      > farmer in Ratlam. His brother Mr Mangal Singhji said "we are Jain Bania
      > (shopkeeper) caste
      > people. we dislike violence and loss which is why we have adopted NF". he
      > has added another 10 acres to NF. now he is has 15 acres under NF. his other
      > Jain brothers have agreed to start NF.A educated young man from Rajasthan
      > was so impressed that he vowed to go back to his native village and start
      > NF. "I have seen so much contentment and also money in NF which is not there
      > in other type of work. that is why I am going back to my roots in my
      > village".many tribal farmers who attended the workshop said "Mr Mohanlal had
      > broadcast wheat in our farm and we expect 15 quintals (1 quintal=100 kg) per
      > half acre. from now on we will use only NF. we are grateful to him". what
      > many saints and scientists have failed to do, these simple people have
      > managed to do.the workshop also had Mr Subhash Sharma who spoke of growing
      > vegetables using NF techniques. he does not overcharge for his naturally
      > grown vegetables and yet is making lots of profit part of which he
      > distributes as bonus amongst his labour. he loves nature and everyone
      > showed their appreciation for his attitude.a few so-called organic farmers
      > were unhappy with NF since they were getting good profits in the name of
      > organic produce. But the inputs in NF are far lower than chemical farming
      > then why should it be more expensive?
      > All in all, the workshop was a big success and everyone was able to solve

    • Jason Stewart
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
        Thank you very much Mr. Raju Titus sensei (meaning educator),
        for your excellent work farming and sharing it with so many keen to learn from
        you, and with your writing it up here.
        I commend you to everyone i come into contact with here and there and
        everywhere! Thank you so Mr. Sumant Joshi for your conscientiousness and
        persisting efforts in translating this and previous.
        .
        Again, i humbly commend this writing to all, according to my previously
        expressed want for more scholarly–based info here amongst us.
        (A few reflections from me:
        I'm confident you already know and that i don't really need to say this next to
        you both, here goes anyway for everyone; Please don't you both (i know you
        won't) get 'a big head' from how good your work is, or anyone by association
        with it, –which it really is that good–, because 'the big head' is precisely
        what ruins the excellence; Precisely what makes each of us complacent and stop
        learning –resting on our laurels– if we become infected by it, 'a big head'.
        Getting out into wild, not wilderness, nature always shrinks a big head back to
        reality again –that's the antidote! haha, with my love for all nature! I know
        from past experiences of sharing..., starting from many years ago! A plain and
        simple way for me to say that is that i commend this writing to all, but at the
        same time nothing is perfect in this mortal world, including this; rather that
        it is much better than most of what else the world has been passing, for
        agricultural education. Perfect is for people's writing that can cure the
        world's farming problems in just one sentence. How's that for a another goal to
        aspire to for perfection of human nature, in the sense of late Mr. Fukuoka
        Masanobu sensei.)
        .
        .
        Biggest best wishes with all,
        .
        Jason Stewart
        —in practice (at the moment in summer season) in the nature farm,
        region:far east gippsland,
        state: Victoria,
        Oz (vernacular for so called Australia).

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2011
          Well :)) thank you Jason. I am getting appreciated for just sitting at the computer and translating. the real work being done by Rajuji (the ji is to show respect, so it would be Jasonji for you and is pronounced the same as the letter 'g')
          so I guess there is little chance of my getting a 'big head'  but I know what you mean and I appreciate it. I am planning to start NF this year though.

          From: Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...>

          To: "sumant joshi" <sumant.jo@...>, "Yugandhar S." <s.yugandhar@...>

          Date: Wednesday, 2 March, 2011, 12:36 AM

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2011
            Dear Sumant Joshi.

            RE the remarks of Raju Titus you translated: Most people in NF are of the opinion that it is the artificial fertilizers and pesticides which cause the land to degrade and if we remove these, it should be enough to improve it. …when we till the land, it causes the soil to become like a fine paste during rains which prevents water percolating into the soil. Ergo, it just flows away and takes with it tons of good natural fertile soil. … they neither have good natural fertilizer and nor do they have water. …In NF there is no violence whereas in till based farming there is violence against the micro-organisms living in the soil. …Warm regards, Sumant Joshi

            I am a retired teacher in the U.S.A. who has returned to college to study Horticulture. I also use worm compost bins to compost all food waste from a local soup kitchen that feeds about 150 people a day. I get about 40-100 pounds of food scraps like melon rinds, potato peels and waste (uneaten food from people's plates) a day. My chickens eat much of that. Everything left over goes into the worm bin compost.

            I liked what you said about no-till Natural Farming. It is especially important to realize artificial fertilizers and pesticides will kill not only micro soil organisms but will kill all earthworms also.

            To ensure fertile soil, you must return organic matter (meaning plant-based materials such as leaves, fruit rinds, vegetable scraps) to the soil. When there is sufficient organic matter, it does several things to ensure fertility.
            ---it retains moisture in the soil
            ---it helps the soil microorganisms by feeding them, providing habitat, and keeping the moisture level right for their survival
            ---it provides nutrients to return to plant roots
            ---it prevents erosion.

            My plant materials all go through the worm compost bins (and the chickens), so lots of additional micro organisms are added back to the soil also.

            Without adding sufficient plant materials back into the soil, it becomes as you describe it:

            ---the soil is not fertile
            ---the soil becomes like a fine paste
            ---water does not percolate into the soil
            ---water flows away, carrying the organic plant materials with it
            ---the microorganisms have nothing to live in or eat
            ---without natural organic plant materials, the soil is no longer fertile as microorganisms that transfer nutrients from the soil to the plant roots have died.

            If you would like information on building and maintaining worm compost bins, I can help you. I realize obtaining sufficient plant-based materials might be difficult, but without enough organic materials in your soil, you will continue to see the water flow away and nutrition levels drop.

            In many places, including India, the Americas and Japan, manure is also used to add plant materials back into the soil, but I believe it must be composted first to get the best use of it.

            I hope this helps. It seemed the key part on plant matter was missing from the Raju Titus article posted on the Fukuoka email list.

            Cecile
            seaseal@...

            It rains from under the earth and not from the sky.
            ~ Masanobu Fukuoka
          • Ruthie Aquino
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2011
              If I may humbly comment...for I am no expert...
              Masanobu Fukuoka, without discouraging it, does not promote composting.
              Maybe that's why you added your last line, you thought he did not care about
              plant matter.
              When he reaped his rice and wheat he put the stalks immediately and directly
              back to the field, without chopping them up first.

              best
              RUTHIE