Tr: agricultural seeds

  • emilia
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2001
      ----- Message d'origine -----
      De : emilia
      À : fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      Envoyé : mardi 4 décembre 2001 22:24
      Objet : agricultural seeds

      the only seeds that could be obtained "naturally", without our manipulation would have to be from plants belonging to the climatic conditions of each growing place...& either self-pollinating or for the cross-pollinating ones, not having anybody near bye growing plants of the same species but of different varieties...
      subtropical plants like tomatoes, melons, peppers, eggplants, etc in cold climates, if they are not started "artificially" they wont have the time outdoors to finish their growth cycle & give a ripe fruit. ok, so in cold climates we can put cabbages, all kinds & eventually their crossings can stabilize as one variety that would reseed itself ;for carrots, they may cross with wild ones & not only they may loose their orange color they would loose as well tenderness, sugar & size. if one is in a hot climate, pumkins would grow by themselves & the same as for cabbages, their crossings among the different varieties, (that one maybe started with),may stabilize but if there are neighbors around & have the good idea of growing the ornamental kind :bitter & non edible...you may loose your plants, your food.
      it took hundreds of years to our ancestors to obtain the edible seeds that we have today, if wheat would return to its wild state, gathering it in quantities to feed a family would take more time that we have the imagination to think about it.
      agriculture manipulates, but that doesn't implies that all we may do is negative: traditional ways to obtain seeds from cross-pollinated plants (& in cold climates), can be a model to do as well for natural agriculture.
      not harming the soil, the earth by plowing, it's to my understanding the most urgent thing to do: but organic no-till agriculture is not experimented ANYWHERE in spite of fukuoka's results, etc. etc. so it is up to us to show the validity of growing food with soil's self-fertility,with the hope that this option is going to be acknowledged by society so that natural agriculture may participate to the solutions for todays problems.

      répondre à l'adresse suivante svp:

      emhaz@...