medicinal herbs

  • J. P.
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2002
      Does anyone recall Fukuoka commenting on medicinal herbs, or was it always
      just food crops? I'm noting in my research of varieties that some of the
      flowering local plants that attract pollinating insects are also terrific
      medicinal herbs, so there is great value in including these in the garden
      mix.

      Joanne
      Los Angeles
    • Robert Monie
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2002
        Hi Joanne,
        Since I live near the Mississippi River in a hot, humid climate where water can spring up if you dig more than 6 feet into the ground, a lot of the Native Search Seeds won't work here. There's just too much water everywhere. When I lived in the dry land around San Antonio, Texas, I used to grow many of the varieties you mentioned.
        Daikons, like leeks, are widely adaptable and work well in many gardens, moist and dry.
        Of medicinal herbs, Fukuoka says (One Straw Revolution, Indian ed. p. 100) that "chemically grown vegetables may be eaten for food but they cannot be used as medicine." He says that gathering the "seven herbs of spring" (watercress, shepherd's purse, wild turnip, cottonweed, chickweed, wild radish, and bee nettle) will make a person gentle. Also, eating bracken shoots, osmund, and shepherd's purse will make one calm. He traces the daikon back to its wild ancestor, the naruna or shepherd's purse, and says that "Daikon is the herb that softens one's disposition."
        I was especially struck by Fukuoka including the chickweed in his list of herbs that bring gentleness, because in Shirley Jackson's horrifying short story "The Lottery," you may recall Mr. Warner saying that if the murderous lottery were abolished, it would mean townspeople would have to return to eating the way the Indians (he doesn't say Indians or Native American but the idea is implied) did; that is, "eating stewed chickweed and acorns." Mr Warner implies, I believe, that such a diet would make the townspeople too mild to survive in this dog eat dog, stone- throwing world. I wonder whether this is a coincidence or if Shirley Jackson may have been an herbalist and perhaps familiar with what Fukuoka calls the "seven herbs of spring"?
        Fukuoka says (p. 136) that "modern people have lost their instinct and consequenty have become unable to gather and enjoy the seven herbs of spring."
        In your previous post you mentioned that you have tried some of the ideas of Mel Bartholomew in your garden. Can you elaborate? Has he written a book that you would like to review?
        Bob Monie

        "J. P." wrote:Does anyone recall Fukuoka commenting on medicinal herbs, or was it always

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2002
          >>> He says that gathering the "seven herbs of spring" (watercress,
          shepherd's purse, wild turnip, cottonweed, chickweed, wild radish, and bee
          nettle) will make a person gentle.

          this part had me chuckling - is it the gathering process, or the consumption
          that brings on the gentleness LOL! because those are such little plants!
          one must cultivate patience!

          Joanne
          Los Angeles
        • Robert Monie
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 30, 2002
            Joanne,
            Knowing Fukuoka, it probably is the gathering, just as for Henry Thoreau, it was the "sauntering."
            Bob Monie

            "J. P." wrote:>>> He says that gathering the "seven herbs of spring" (watercress,
            shepherd's purse, wild turnip, cottonweed, chickweed, wild radish, and bee
            nettle) will make a person gentle.

            this part had me chuckling - is it the gathering process, or the consumption
            that brings on the gentleness LOL! because those are such little plants!
            one must cultivate patience!

            Joanne
            Los Angeles

          • Judy Phillips
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 30, 2002
              > Knowing Fukuoka, it probably is the gathering, just as for Henry Thoreau,
              it was the "sauntering."
              > Bob Monie
              >
              > "J. P." wrote:>>> He says that gathering the "seven herbs of spring"
              (watercress,
              > shepherd's purse, wild turnip, cottonweed, chickweed, wild radish, and bee
              > nettle) will make a person gentle.
              >
              > this part had me chuckling - is it the gathering process, or the
              consumption
              > that brings on the gentleness LOL! because those are such little plants!
              > one must cultivate patience!
              >
              > Joanne
              > Los Angeles

            • Judy Phillips
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 30, 2002
                Hi all--busy seed harvesting and doing garden work the past few weeks so I
                have not responded to many posts. But I did want to jump in on the topic of
                using medicinal herbs in the seedball mix. Actually this is my main passion
                and focus in my seed harvesting and redistribution. I think these plants are
                healing not only for us but for the earth. I haven't the time to go into an
                extended or well-researched essay at the moment, though I would like to
                submit an article of this nature to the website when life slows down a bit.
                Yes, gathering the healing herbs does require patience and helps us to
                cultivate a better understanding of our bodies' needs as well as the
                enviroments' needs--intuition tells me "as above, so below" The process of
                learning to identify and cultivate the wildlings, the beneficial healing
                plants has been the most important part of the process for me. Just being
                with these plants makes me a healthier person.
                Collecting their seeds has put me in touch with a whole new part of the life
                cycle--rebirth. Plants are no longer "dead" to me once their blooms have
                faded or their fruits are harvested. Now I pay close attention to their
                survival strategies, I see the process to fruition. The diversity is truly
                inspiring.
                On a less metaphysical track--when I see the number of birds, bees,
                butterflies, hummingbirds and other beneficial insects these plants attract
                to my garden, I know that I am doing the right thing. When I see the worn
                out soil growing richer year after year, I am rewarded. And when I am just
                too plain lazy to weed, I feel less guilty! I am a lousy vegetable gardener,
                truth be told, but a great forager! My spinach harvest was minimal this
                year, but there has never been any lack of lambsquarters volunteers to go
                into the pot.
                In addition to their nourishing values, many of these plants also act as
                great "foils" for predatory insects. I seldom experience mass attacks of
                destructive insect populations now that I mix my herbs, wild and
                domesticated plants in the garden.
                Green Blessings
                Judy