Conservation Farming with Helen Atthowe (Fukuoka intern)

  • paul wheaton
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 25, 2011
      Helen Atthowe, Missoula County Extension Agent (Missoula, Montana)
      talks about the farming techniques she used near Stevensville,
      Montana. She calls it "Conservation Farming".

      Helen is well known in the Missoula area, not just as the Missoula
      county extension agent, but also as one of the most popular vendors at
      the Missoula farmers Market / Missoula Saturday market.

      "The goal of our conservation farming is to increase farm
      profitability by decreasing labor and land requirements while striving
      to mimic the ecological principles that make native plant systems
      sustainable. The ecological principles we hope to mimic include
      reduced tillalge, increase species and genetic diversity, closed
      nutrient cycles, and creation of more diverse habitat. We look at our
      farm from a landscape or watershed level and hope to reconnect wild
      areas, agriculture and urban areas. Conservation agriculture is both
      biologically and socially a local agriculture."

      http://www.youtube.com/paulwheaton12#p/u/0/XYfZf5Nllsk

      I've cut way back on what I post to this list. I've probably put up a
      five videos since my last post to this mailing list. If you like my
      stuff, I suggest that you subscribe to my youtube videos at
      http://www.youtube.com/paulwheaton12 or go to my twitter stuff at
      http://twitter.com/paulwheaton or my facebook fan page at
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Paul-Wheaton/137801416282548

      As always, please forward this to folks that might be interested in
      this sort of thing.

      Thanks!
    • Sumant Joshi
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 25, 2011
        Beautiful and interesting. especially the natural pest control ideas. the huge amount of insects in the vegetation and the idea of farmed areas merging gently into the wild.
        I have subscribed to your collection and also am planning to download some of the videos for showing it to people here.

        Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

        Warm regards,

        Sumant Joshi
        Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161