Re: [fukuoka_farming] justin & jamie & about the green belt project

  • emilia
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2002
      justin,
      although in permaculture no-till is recommended, it is mainly applied in the
      instalation of perennial plants in permanent places, but when it comes to
      the growing of annual/biennal vegetables even david holmgren (whose
      "permaculture" thesis has made his teacher bill mollison famous), uses
      biodynamics in his veggie garden...& nat.ag. is only applied by very few
      permaculure people & none for commercial vegetable production (as far as i
      know).
      i agree that organic produce should be sold at the same price or slightly
      cheaper so as to avoid the attraction of "organic" farmers that their only
      motivation is the one of making more money & have no scrupulous cheating.
      in greece perhaps organic farmers may be subventionned "for ever" but such
      is not the case in other european countries within the common market club:
      in france there is only a help given during 3 years of reconversion, which
      makes sense. & in those countries any farmer that sells its produce must buy
      the seeds... as it is illegal to grow food with "uncertified" ones: food is
      in the total control of multinationals & although for the non-commercial
      "farmers" we still have the freedom to save our seeds & exchange & etc. when
      it comes to a farmer selling its produce that is not longer possible,
      (transgressing is penalized with heavy fines)

      about the green belt project: i've contacted them more than once to have
      news on what grows from the seedballs seeding projects...so far no
      news...idem for panos, perhaps some of u will have a better chance? it is
      important to have the follow up of all those actions, what are the results?
      growing vegetables from seed balls,( besides daikon, other radishes & swiss
      chard,) doesn't seems to work...growing most vegetales without water is
      asking plants genetically programmed for good soil & water to forget their
      needs so that we grow them where we can...but not where they can. it took
      fukuoka-san years in a rainy (at the right time) place to ameliorate the
      soil so that tomatoes & other vegetables would grow naturally...nat.ag. is
      not easy on its own to apply but on top of it we are trying to practice it
      in the most difficult situations: fukuoka-san had it easier!