Re: [fukuoka_farming] good plants to try

  • Ruthie Aquino
    Message 1 of 47 , Feb 25, 2011
      Comfrey is excellent. It grows and multiplies fast. It suppresses weeds.
      You can plant it in a ring around fruit trees. It is a natural fertilizer.
      You can eat the young leaves--I blanch them then roll them in a beaten
      egg to make oyster-tasting friters.
      I have eleagnus ebbingei but don't fruit much because my soil is too fat for
      it. The flowers smell heavenly and exotic. I have black bamboo and eat the
      tiny shoots.
      Good luck John.

      best
      RUTHIE

      2011/2/24 John Kintree <jkintree@...>

      > Toby Hemenway mentions several plants in Gaia's Garden: A Guide to
      > Home-Scale Permaculture (2009) that provide multiple functions, and that
      > growers might want to try. In addition to a cover crop of Dutch white
      > clover, I'm considering experimenting with several of Toby's recommendations
      > in my home garden in St. Louis, Missouri, USA; hardiness zone 6.
      >
      > Maximilian Sunflower - (Helianthus maximilianii) perennial, barrier to
      > deer, good biomass, edible shoots,
      >
      > Goumi - (Elaeagnus multiflora) perennial shrub, edible berries loaded with
      > vitamin C, nitrogen fixer, attracts bees,
      >
      > Maypop - (Passiflora incarnata) fast-growing climber, edible fruit,
      > attracts insects and birds, exotic flowers,
      >
      > Comfrey
      > - (Symphytum officinale) pink and purple blossoms attract insects,
      > great for biomass and mulch, medicinal for cuts, taproot breaks
      > hardpan, avoid cutting roots if not wanting plant to spread, great
      > nutrient accumulator from soil
      >
      > Mashua - (Tropaeolum tuberosum)
      > an edible nasturtium, not only edible leaves and flowers, but also
      > tubers which are prolific (30,000 pounds per acre) and packed with
      > vitamin C, and repels nematodes, fungal diseases, and some harmful
      > insects, suitable for fences and trellises
      >
      > Bamboo - many varieties, grow your own garden stakes, edible shoots, plus
      > lots more uses
      > Regards,
      > John Kintree

    • Shashi Kumar
      Message 47 of 47 , Oct 17, 2012
        Very interesting. Looks like backyard has been turned into a forest garden
        with no crop rotation. How it works?