Native Paddy Varieties

  • narasimhansesh@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 23, 2011
      Hi! All:

      I happened to read an article on the subject matter in one of the old issues of 'India Today'. I thought, I should share it with the Indian members of this group. Please click on the link below to read the article:

      http://m.indiatoday.in/itwapsite/story?sid=104799&secid=134

      Best wishes,
      Narasimhan
    • pilots gayathri
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 23, 2011
        Hello there,
        I am looking for a 3-5 acre farm to buy on Kanakapura Road. Pls share any lead you may have.
        Vipin

      • Ruthie Aquino
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 23, 2011
          Hello,
          I'm not Indian but I'm still interested.
          Happy farming.
          RUTHIE

          2011/2/23 narasimhansesh@... <narasimhansesh@...>

          > Hi! All:
          >
          > I happened to read an article on the subject matter in one of the old
          > issues of 'India Today'. I thought, I should share it with the Indian
          > members of this group. Please click on the link below to read the article:
          >
          > http://m.indiatoday.in/itwapsite/story?sid=104799&secid=134
          >
          > Best wishes,
          > Narasimhan

        • Sumant Joshi
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 23, 2011
            I think the article is superb, Narsimhan

            Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

            Warm regards,

            Sumant Joshi
            Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2011
              On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 3:16 PM, narasimhansesh@... <
              narasimhansesh@...> wrote:

              > Hi! All:
              >
              > I happened to read an article on the subject matter in one of the old
              > issues of 'India Today'. I thought, I should share it with the Indian
              > members of this group. Please click on the link below to read the article:
              >
              > http://m.indiatoday.in/itwapsite/story?sid=104799&secid=134

              Great article. But I have a few quips:

              1. The article terms the 'hybrids' as 'artificially pollinated'. While the
              observation is somewhat true (w.r.t. IRRI et al produced varieties), I
              believe, it is improper to shove everything under the 'artificially
              pollinated' rug.

              As fukuoka puts it succinctly, on the question of natural vs artificial, it
              can be said that these plants like rice have evolved along with us for over
              10,000 years now. Evolution requires two things:

              1. genetic diversity in order to produce 'new' types of offsprings (tall and
              dark dad + short and fair mom is likely to result in not only tall and dark
              / short and fair children but also tall and fair / short and dark children).

              2. selection pressure... the undesirable offsprings are removed, whether by
              nature (as in the case of natural floods that wipe out those that can't
              survive in a flooded condition) or by humans.

              So the question is only whether it was a conscious selection or an
              'unconscious' one. With plants like rice, natural cross pollination is quite
              reduced and a slow process. Artificial pollination only artificially brings
              two different varieties together, which even if they naturally pollinated,
              would have produced similar results. The remaining 'selection' part of the
              evolution can all happen naturally and there is no one stopping us from
              doing this. Infact, lots of plant breeders already do this.

              2. The table on the right claims hybrid varieties need 'fertilizers' whereas
              traditional varieties don't. This is also highly debatable - the hybrid
              varieties produced by IRRI might fit this bill. But not all hybrids are
              'created' in a lab. There are many breeders across the world who use Crop
              Wild Relatives[2] to create the diversity of offsprings needed to 'Select'
              from.

              3. Above all, given we're entering a new phase of planetary (climate change)
              and ecological conditions (accelerating loss of biodiversity) that none of
              the plants (whether hybrid / traditional / GM crops) were used to growing
              in, I personally believe, traditional varieties _coupled_ with natural
              breeding practices are vital to preserve the said breed. So the kind of
              closed mindset thinking about hybrids will only make us repent that we
              didn't continue our 'selection pressure' to keep the ball rolling. Also,
              biotech corporations tend to use confusing terminology to make us believe
              that 'GM' is 'as good' as hybrids, we need to take back the term 'hybrid'
              and define it as a naturally produced variety, as it has always been since
              centuries. But we also need to be clear about what we want to look for when
              someone claims they now have a hybrid variety of seed (ie., do they really
              need fertilizers only? were they produced in a lab with a short-sighted,
              reduced view to improve just one trait?).

              Cheers,

              -Suraj

              Footnotes:

              [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_pressure - as in the case of the
              varieties that are drought resistant, it just needs a few individual progeny
              in the plant population that are _slightly_ more drought resistant than the
              others. If they manage to survive to leave offsprings and the selection
              pressure mounts slowly (ie., increasing drought but not a 'lasting'
              drought), the conditions could just favour creation of an all natural
              drought resistant variety.

              [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_wild_relative