Water usage

  • Boovarahan Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 25, 2010
      Hi All !

      I wud like to know how water is used in your farms .

      Boovarahan S

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 26, 2010
        I use flooding method and releases water at different points. Since there is a good mulching all over the farm, water requirement is less and I would like to keep the dependency on the irrigation minimum. Experienced people tell if we give less water, plants would search for water and they will have much stronger roots and they can withstand droughts better.

        Regards,
        Nandan

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 27, 2010
          True that roots grow in search of water.
          In ZBF , Palekar has advised watering by the noon shade perimeter of a plant
          which will make it extend the roots.
          I think the deep pipe irrigation method is much suited to the natural
          farming way of mulching.

          I don't know if anybody tried this with SRI paddy planting methods.
          Theoretically it should be possible to grow rice even in dry areas with this
          method.

          Boovarahan S

          On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...
          > wrote:

          > I use flooding method and releases water at different points. Since there
          > is a good mulching all over the farm, water requirement is less and I would
          > like to keep the dependency on the irrigation minimum. Experienced people
          > tell if we give less water, plants would search for water and they will have
          > much stronger roots and they can withstand droughts better.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Nandan
          >
          > --- On Sat, 12/25/10, Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...<offtown%40gmail.com>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@... <offtown%40gmail.com>>
          > Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Water usage
          > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Saturday, December 25, 2010, 8:45 PM
          >

          > Hi All !
          >
          > I wud like to know how water is used in your farms .
          >
          > Boovarahan S

        • Boovarahan Srinivasan
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 10, 2012
            This is self explanatory:

            http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/08/us-science-environment-water-idUSBRE87713B20120808

            --
            Boovarahan S
            Chennai.

          • Raju Titus
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 10, 2012
              http://www.satyamevjayate.in/issue08/

              On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:08 PM, Boovarahan Srinivasan
              <offtown@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > This is self explanatory:
              >

              > http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/08/us-science-environment-water-idUSBRE87713B20120808
              >
              > --
              > Boovarahan S
              > Chennai.
              > 09962662717 (Vodafone) , 08825889492 (Videocon)

              *Raju Titus. Rishi kheti farm.Hoshangabad. M.P. 461001.*
              +919179738049.
              http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus
              fukuoka_farming yahoogroup
              http://rishikheti.blogspot.com/