Re: [fukuoka_farming] Paddy farming experiment

  • Boovarahan Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 38 , Dec 8, 2010
      Dear Nandan !

      What a coincidence ! I too started in your way. After buying my land last
      September , I immediately opted for natural farming with Zero Budget farming
      methods. Being a city dweller I had no experience in farming. (and still the
      status quo is maintained !!! [?]).

      I scattered about a kilo of rice seeds and sown them in a corner of my land.
      After 12 days' time I uprooted the saplings and started transplanting them
      with 10 inch spacing . As ill luck would have it , I could not stand the
      scorching sun and fainted. So I was sent back to my home with an escort and
      the transplanting was finished by others. Soon I returned to Chennai and
      employed a fellow to look after the watering work. The land was not tilled /
      ploughed and no fertiliser / pesticide was applied. Just two doses of
      Jeevamrutham was applied with watering . when I went after 15 days I was
      shocked that my field was not watered at all and the few standing rice crops
      were dying right before my eyes. When I asked the villager how this happened
      he told me that rice could not survive the weeds / grass and so he decided
      to abandon farming on his own. At that point of time I could do nothing and
      let my village with a depressed heart.
      For this season I employed another person and I had to turn to regular
      method of ploughing . But the nursery was raised on empty urea bags and
      transplanted after 21 days. Manual weeding was done once. No fertliser /
      pesticides were applied. And it so happened heavy and continuous rains
      lashed our village the rice crops are submerged in water for about two weeks
      as of now. I don't know what will be the harvest but i hope to get some
      straw atleast if not rice. and I can use the straw for mulching and go in
      for Thuvarai plant for the next season.
      Now that I am armed with Fukuoka's method , I am going to scatter thuvarai
      seeds over the standing rice crops by this month end.

      What was the volume of your harvest ?

      Regards.

      Boovarahan S

    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 6, 2011
        Hi Jason,
        Barking dogs don't bite.
        Pass your way.
        Like you I think we should talk of things we know, or keep it shut.
        Cheers.
        RUTHIE