Live fence

  • Boovarahan Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 3, 2010
      Hi !

      I want to grow plants that will be useful as fence.
      The main purpose to turn away cattle / goats / sheep etc.
      Please advise.

      Boovarahan S

    • ufuk cakmak
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2010
        Hi
        You may try macula pomifera as they used to do in north America last century.
        Ufuk

        --- 03/12/10 Cum tarihinde Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...> şöyle yazıyor:

        Kimden: Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...>
        Konu: [fukuoka_farming] Live fence
        Kime: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
        Tarihi: 3 Aralık 2010 Cuma, 14:23

        Hi !

        I want to grow plants that will be useful as fence.

        The main purpose to turn away cattle / goats / sheep etc.

        Please advise.

        Boovarahan S

      • Sumant Joshi
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2010
          In maharashtra people use sagargota and chillar, both are extremely thorny and non edible. the former is also a medicinal plant yielding seeds which are used in many ayurvedic formulations.

          Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

          Warm regards,

          Sumant Joshi
          Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2010
            Where are you farming?

            Are you are in India? then you might want to consider using the drumstick tree (moringa oleifera) or Manila tamarind (Pithecellobium dulce). Both can be kept as living fences, and both can stand heavy pruning.

            I would go for the Manila tamarind, as it is thorny (good against goats), is an Nitrogen Fixer, and is very drought resistant, is a good producer of mulch, and let's not forget the edible pods.

            Prune frequently though; neglected fences can become enormous trees...

            Don't know anything for the temperate regions though...

            Daniel

            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...> wrote:

            > Hi !
            >
            > I want to grow plants that will be useful as fence.
            > The main purpose to turn away cattle / goats / sheep etc.
            > Please advise.
            >
            > Boovarahan S

          • Boovarahan Srinivasan
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2010
              Hi Daniel !
              Thanks for your reply.
              I have about 7 cents of land as backyard in my native village of
              Periyamarai in Ariyalur district of Tamilnadu . At present it has coconut
              trees which are hevily infected with insects and the leaves come ont in cut
              position . The backyard has no fencing and is accessible to all and sundry.
              My aim is to plant some tress or shrubs which will not give way to or eaten
              by cattle.
              Where can I get Manila Tamarind saplings ? What is the method of planting
              i.e., planting distance .
              Thanks.

              Boovarahan S

              On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 7:41 AM, Daniel <dfjager@...> wrote:

              > Where are you farming?
              >
              > Are you are in India? then you might want to consider using the drumstick
              > tree (moringa oleifera) or Manila tamarind (Pithecellobium dulce). Both can
              > be kept as living fences, and both can stand heavy pruning.
              >
              > I would go for the Manila tamarind, as it is thorny (good against goats),
              > is an Nitrogen Fixer, and is very drought resistant, is a good producer of
              > mulch, and let's not forget the edible pods.
              >
              > Prune frequently though; neglected fences can become enormous trees...
              >
              > Don't know anything for the temperate regions though...
              >
              > Daniel

              > Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi !
              > >
              > > I want to grow plants that will be useful as fence.
              > > The main purpose to turn away cattle / goats / sheep etc.
              > > Please advise.
              > >
              > > Boovarahan S

            • Daniel
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 5, 2010
                Hi Boovarahan,

                are you sure you do not know this tree? It is also called Madras Thorn (Ganga imli in Hindi).

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pithecellobium_dulce
                http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/manila_tamarind.htm

                I am sure you must be able to get this. It grows in similar conditions as the regular tamarind, which is, i believe, quite common in your area, right?

                The pods should be coming in season very soon. Just start a few seedlings from the small black seeds inside the white flesh (nice eaten raw).

                If for some strange reason you cannot get it, i can send you some seeds as soon as the pods are becoming available.

                Just start seedlings as usual and put in the ground just before rainy season. But direct seeding is also possible! Can handle any soil, and doesn't mind occasional seasonal flooding either!

                Daniel

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...> wrote:

                > Hi Daniel !
                > Thanks for your reply.
                > I have about 7 cents of land as backyard in my native village of
                > Periyamarai in Ariyalur district of Tamilnadu . At present it has coconut
                > trees which are hevily infected with insects and the leaves come ont in cut
                > position . The backyard has no fencing and is accessible to all and sundry.
                > My aim is to plant some tress or shrubs which will not give way to or eaten
                > by cattle.
                > Where can I get Manila Tamarind saplings ? What is the method of planting
                > i.e., planting distance .
                > Thanks.
                >
                > Boovarahan S
                >
                > On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 7:41 AM, Daniel <dfjager@...> wrote:
                >

                > > Where are you farming?
                > >
                > > Are you are in India? then you might want to consider using the drumstick
                > > tree (moringa oleifera) or Manila tamarind (Pithecellobium dulce). Both can
                > > be kept as living fences, and both can stand heavy pruning.
                > >
                > > I would go for the Manila tamarind, as it is thorny (good against goats),
                > > is an Nitrogen Fixer, and is very drought resistant, is a good producer of
                > > mulch, and let's not forget the edible pods.
                > >
                > > Prune frequently though; neglected fences can become enormous trees...
                > >
                > > Don't know anything for the temperate regions though...
                > >
                > > Daniel
                > >

                > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > > Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi !
                > > >
                > > > I want to grow plants that will be useful as fence.
                > > > The main purpose to turn away cattle / goats / sheep etc.
                > > > Please advise.
                > > >
                > > > Boovarahan S

              • Boovarahan Srinivasan
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 6, 2010
                  Dear Daniel !

                  I remember eating the whilte fur like substance from this plant called
                  Kodukkapuli in Tamil . But that was when I was a child.
                  If it could be used as a fence please let me have the seeds.
                  I have to grow a live fence for about 400 feet.
                  Thanks .

                  Boovarahan S

                  On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Daniel <dfjager@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Boovarahan,
                  >
                  > are you sure you do not know this tree? It is also called Madras Thorn
                  > (Ganga imli in Hindi).
                  >
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pithecellobium_dulce
                  > http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/manila_tamarind.htm
                  >
                  > I am sure you must be able to get this. It grows in similar conditions as
                  > the regular tamarind, which is, i believe, quite common in your area, right?
                  >
                  > The pods should be coming in season very soon. Just start a few seedlings
                  > from the small black seeds inside the white flesh (nice eaten raw).
                  >
                  > If for some strange reason you cannot get it, i can send you some seeds as
                  > soon as the pods are becoming available.
                  >
                  > Just start seedlings as usual and put in the ground just before rainy
                  > season. But direct seeding is also possible! Can handle any soil, and
                  > doesn't mind occasional seasonal flooding either!
                  >

                  > Daniel

                  > Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Daniel !
                  > > Thanks for your reply.
                  > > I have about 7 cents of land as backyard in my native village of
                  > > Periyamarai in Ariyalur district of Tamilnadu . At present it has coconut
                  > > trees which are hevily infected with insects and the leaves come ont in
                  > cut
                  > > position . The backyard has no fencing and is accessible to all and
                  > sundry.
                  > > My aim is to plant some tress or shrubs which will not give way to or
                  > eaten
                  > > by cattle.
                  > > Where can I get Manila Tamarind saplings ? What is the method of planting
                  > > i.e., planting distance .
                  > > Thanks.
                  > >
                  > > Boovarahan S
                  > >
                  > > On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 7:41 AM, Daniel <dfjager@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > > Where are you farming?
                  > > >
                  > > > Are you are in India? then you might want to consider using the
                  > drumstick
                  > > > tree (moringa oleifera) or Manila tamarind (Pithecellobium dulce). Both
                  > can
                  > > > be kept as living fences, and both can stand heavy pruning.
                  > > >
                  > > > I would go for the Manila tamarind, as it is thorny (good against
                  > goats),
                  > > > is an Nitrogen Fixer, and is very drought resistant, is a good producer
                  > of
                  > > > mulch, and let's not forget the edible pods.
                  > > >
                  > > > Prune frequently though; neglected fences can become enormous trees...
                  > > >
                  > > > Don't know anything for the temperate regions though...
                  > > >
                  > > > Daniel
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com<fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com><fukuoka_farming%
                  > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                • Daniel
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 6, 2010
                    Ok,

                    I will send you a pack of seeds. Their viability is short, so I will have to do it by express mail. Luckily it is only a short distance across the waters... I live in Thailand.

                    Please send me your address by private email, and I will send you the pack of seeds as soon (should be around January)

                  • manlion
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 7, 2010
                      Hi! Boovarahan:

                      There's a tree by name 'Kiluvai' and it grows in our region (Tamilnadu)
                      well. All you have to do is to cut thick branches, say 1" thickness, and
                      plant it along the boundary of your field at 1ft gap. It's raining here in
                      Tamilnadu and that's enough for it. It does not require water after the
                      rains. We have done it in our 'vayal' in Tanjore.

                      I don't know how 'kodukapalli' would serve the purpose as natural fence but
                      that certainly is good to attract birds.

                      Regards,
                      Narasimhan

                      On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...>wrote:

                      > Dear Daniel !
                      >
                      > I remember eating the whilte fur like substance from this plant called
                      > Kodukkapuli in Tamil . But that was when I was a child.
                      > If it could be used as a fence please let me have the seeds.
                      > I have to grow a live fence for about 400 feet.
                      > Thanks .
                      >
                      > Boovarahan S
                      >

                      > On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Daniel <dfjager@...<dfjager%40yahoo.com>>
                      > wrote:
                      >

                      > > Hi Boovarahan,
                      > >
                      > > are you sure you do not know this tree? It is also called Madras Thorn
                      > > (Ganga imli in Hindi).
                      > >
                      > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pithecellobium_dulce
                      > > http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/manila_tamarind.htm
                      > >
                      > > I am sure you must be able to get this. It grows in similar conditions as
                      > > the regular tamarind, which is, i believe, quite common in your area,
                      > right?
                      > >
                      > > The pods should be coming in season very soon. Just start a few seedlings
                      > > from the small black seeds inside the white flesh (nice eaten raw).
                      > >
                      > > If for some strange reason you cannot get it, i can send you some seeds
                      > as
                      > > soon as the pods are becoming available.
                      > >
                      > > Just start seedlings as usual and put in the ground just before rainy
                      > > season. But direct seeding is also possible! Can handle any soil, and
                      > > doesn't mind occasional seasonal flooding either!
                      > >

                      > > Daniel
                      > >
                      > > --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com<fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com><fukuoka_farming%
                      > 40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > > Boovarahan Srinivasan <offtown@...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Hi Daniel !
                      > > > Thanks for your reply.
                      > > > I have about 7 cents of land as backyard in my native village of
                      > > > Periyamarai in Ariyalur district of Tamilnadu . At present it has
                      > coconut
                      > > > trees which are hevily infected with insects and the leaves come ont in
                      > > cut
                      > > > position . The backyard has no fencing and is accessible to all and
                      > > sundry.
                      > > > My aim is to plant some tress or shrubs which will not give way to or
                      > > eaten
                      > > > by cattle.
                      > > > Where can I get Manila Tamarind saplings ? What is the method of
                      > planting
                      > > > i.e., planting distance .
                      > > > Thanks.
                      > > >
                      > > > Boovarahan S

                      > > drumstick
                      > Both
                      > > can

                      > > goats),
                      > producer
                      > > of

                      > trees...

                      > <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com><fukuoka_farming%
                      >
                      > > 40yahoogroups.com>,

                    • Yugandhar S
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 7, 2010
                        Dear Boovarahan,
                        You should most likely get these seeds locally. No need to get them over
                        the seas.Just enquire around your village and you will get a tree. I have
                        relished on these fruit for many years when I used to go to my village in
                        AP. It is called 'Kankanam Botta' locally. It means 'Bangle Pod' because the
                        fruit circle like a bangle. We cannot eat many because the pulp is pithy but
                        sweet with a little bitter taste sometimes.

                        Best Regards
                        Yugandhar

                      • vivasayee vivasayee
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 10, 2010
                          Hi Boovarahan,

                          Palm Tree (Panaimaram in Tamil ) . It can be planted across the border of
                          the land .They dont need any extra care as like other trees.Over a period
                          act as a strong fencer ,it yield multiple benefits Palm Sugar from the
                          extracts ,more interestingly an able guider for maintaining good water
                          table in the land and many more .

                          Warm Regards,
                          Vivasayee.