Pueraria Javanica

  • Vishu Shetty
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2010
      Dear All,

      Need information on buying seeds of *Pueraria Javanica* which I plan to use
      it as a cover crop basically primarily to control Weed and also as live
      mulch.

      I am also seeking inputs on the *Pueraria Javanica* as a cover crop in
      coffee plantation.

      --
      Vishu

      http://titli.bikingvikings.com

      The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2010
        Hi Vishu,

        I just searched for this 'Pueraria Javanica' and from the pictures it looks like the one used as cover crops in rubber plantations in kerala. This is grown in the initial stages of the rubber trees, and establishes quickly and will look like a carpet. When the trees becomes bigger and shade establishes, this will go by itself. One person recently told me, when the trees are cut after a period of 25 years (typically), they come back again, they just remain in the soil for so many years.

        Also came across the site, sure you also would have seen this - http://www.covercrops.org This company is based in my home town Trichur, if you need any help I can provide that.

        Regards,
        Nandan

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 2, 2010
          Hi Nandan,

          Yes you are right, they are used as cover crops in rubber plantations and
          there has been studies which show they can be used in coffee plantations as
          well. However, it is not a widely established practice and I want to
          experiment at a small patch of land to start with.

          I also came across covercrops.org while googling and have written to them
          but have not received a reply from them. Thanks for
          your help, Much appreciated. I will get in touch with you offline.

          I have also been contacted from one member of this forum who is also a
          supplier of cover crop seeds about the availability of the seeds in the
          month of Jan. I need to write to him with my requirement.

          On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:49 AM, Nandan Palaparambil
          <p_k_nandanan@...>wrote:

          > Hi Vishu,
          >
          > I just searched for this 'Pueraria Javanica' and from the pictures it looks
          > like the one used as cover crops in rubber plantations in kerala. This is
          > grown in the initial stages of the rubber trees, and establishes quickly and
          > will look like a carpet. When the trees becomes bigger and shade
          > establishes, this will go by itself. One person recently told me, when the
          > trees are cut after a period of 25 years (typically), they come back again,
          > they just remain in the soil for so many years.
          >
          > Also came across the site, sure you also would have seen this -
          > http://www.covercrops.org This company is based in my home town Trichur,
          > if you need any help I can provide that.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Nandan
          >
          > --- On Wed, 12/1/10, Vishu Shetty <magicblack@...<magicblack%40gmail.com>>
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: Vishu Shetty <magicblack@... <magicblack%40gmail.com>>
          > Subject: [fukuoka_farming] Pueraria Javanica
          > To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 2:50 PM
          >

          > Dear All,
          >
          > Need information on buying seeds of *Pueraria Javanica* which I plan to use
          >
          > it as a cover crop basically primarily to control Weed and also as live
          >
          > mulch.
          >
          > I am also seeking inputs on the *Pueraria Javanica* as a cover crop in
          >
          > coffee plantation.
          >
          > --
          >
          > Vishu
          >
          > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
          >
          > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

          Vishu

          http://titli.bikingvikings.com

          The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

        • Anant Joglekar
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 2, 2010
            Hi friends !

            Last year in August,2009,I have planted Eucalyptus Clones in 90 Acres out of 135
            Acres of my family holding which is a certified organic farm land since 1995.My
            lands are surrounded by 300 hect. of dense forest , on the left bank of a minor
            irrigation project. I take pigeon-pees ( Arhar / Tuvar ) as inter-crop within
            Eucalyptus but wild animals and grazing cattle destroy it and also damage
            Eucalyptus.

            I need help/ advice/ suggestions for some multipurpose cover crop which will
            control weeds, keep away wild and grazing animals , add to fertility of soil and
            stays with eucalyptus as support or companion crop. Please also suggest some
            live fencing strategy to protect boundaries.

            I request advice, suggestions from the group please.

            Thanks and regards.

            Anant Joglekar
            919423089706

            Sent with Best Compliments -
            Call me at-
            +919423089706 / +917232245567 / +917232288724
            Post me at-
            Anant Joglekar, Secretary and C.E.O; Organic Linkage On-line Multipurpose
            Organisation, 9,Patrakar Nagar, Yavatmal Maharashtra State, India 445001

            Meet me at-
            yahoo- apjoglekar / skype- orgagro / trade manager- orgagro

            BE ORGANIC - BUY ORGANIC - LIVE ORGANIC

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2010
              Hi Anant,

              I am interested in why you chose eucalypts? Are they native to your area?

              I ask because eucalypts are known for ‘raping’ a landscape – they destroy the soil, suck up ALL the water and prohibit anything else from growing in their root zone and wherever the leaves land – I know this from personal experience because I have tried to garden close to them and it doesn’t matter how much compost or mulch you put on an area the eucalypts turn it to sand in no time at all... and it sucks all the water from below as you are watering from above – impossible!

              Eucalypts and acacias used to be 20% of Australian flora and now they are 80% (according to Peter Andrews, not sure of his source) - Australia becomes more and more arid...

              Just interested, I know they have their benefits too, particularly for building!

              For live fencing you will want a really thick thorny hedge like barberry or hawthorn (or preferably a native equivalent) around the perimeter to keep out the cattle – but you will need to fence for a few years as they grow. Once you have fenced of course your options for cover crops increase exponentially. I wouldn’t worry about weeds – most of them are GOOD and bring up nutrients from the subsoil which then adds the nutrients to the topsoil as they die and decompose... it’s all in the mind!

              Do you have plenty of water year round – if so then you should be able to get perennial crops growing under them – the ones next door here have climbers like honeysuckle around them and blackberries seem to do well too – they are at the bottom of a slope so get all the nutrient and water from an acre or so above them though... Blackberries will also deter the wild animals and you will get food as well – all good! But they will grow faster than the eucalypts and may smother them – not so good! If you plant them a fair distance away from the trees then they might work. They won’t add to the soil though!

              Good luck, Linda

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2010
                Dear Anant Joglekar,

                Writing this from the land of the native Eucalypts (about 600 species native)
                Australia, :) , i write:
                Please list the names of any plants growing around the area there, any names you
                have including Indian local common names, of any possible suitable plants such
                as grasses, shrubs, legumes and spiny plants for the live fencing.

                I have the name of Cockspur Thorn –botanical name:
                "_Maclura_cochinchinensis_ (Lour.) Corner" of India and of Australia and China.
                A very spiny woody big spreading shrub &/or vine, with edible ripe orange
                fruits. It naturally grows in forests (dry & wet rainforests, & wet Eucalypt
                forests) in warm temperate and subtropical south and eastern Australia (NSW &
                QLD).

                -> http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Cockspur%20Thorn.htmlMore photos
                in Australia:

                -> http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=sp&name=Maclura~cochinchinensis-> http://www.rainforestpublishing.com.au/index.php?href=botanical&dir=botanical_pages&subpage=view&ext=php&array_place=13&item_id=533#image_533

                ( http://www.rainforestpublishing.com.au/botanical_images/Maclura%20cochinchinensis%209.jpg )

                -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackdiamondimages/4205370259/in/photostream/
                -> http://toowoombaplants2008.blogspot.com/2008/02/cockspur-thorn.html

                Any leguminous nitrogen fixing species please list, we all may each have some
                pieces of encouraging information about a list of your local species, if you
                need to please ask local people and local farmers the local plant species.

                Eucalypts (from Australia) can produce unusual environments underneath their
                trees, from the leaf oils, and from the root symbiotic relationships, root
                chemicals and environments made by the roots. Unusual elsewhere in the world.
                Here in Australia there are many endemic species of plants long adapted growing
                in these Eucalypt environments, above-ground and in the root zone (adapted
                meaning revolved sensu Mr. Fukuoka instead of evolved sensu science, long
                meaning over millions of years).

                Best wishes to all,
                Jase
                (Jason Stewart)
                south-eastern Australia

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 2, 2010
                  Dear friend Linda,

                  Peter Andrews half talks realistically (especially his great realisation
                  writings about stream and half talks incoherent claptrap (i'm not sure which of
                  perceptions prejudices, ethnocentric-biases, emotions, feelings, plain errors or
                  what).
                  Popularity which he has, and appearance of credibility which latterly he now
                  has, amongst many but far from all people, does not reality—make!
                  We all humanly make errors, do sloppy work lacking rigour, we all err –anyone
                  who says "humans are rational" is definitely irrational–
                  We all have emotions feelings & perceptions, it depends what we do with our
                  intellectual-side to our emotions to re-direct them and their energy into
                  expression(s) which are beneficial to all, if not also perhaps-accidentally
                  expressing so called rationality –much vaunted by Richard Dawkins whose memes
                  work, for one of many examples, definitively is irrational.

                  Futhermore, Linda this your wording cant sustain scrutiny: "eucalypts are known
                  for ‘raping’ a landscape – they destroy the soil, suck up ALL the water" – nor
                  have you referenced. I'm happy if you merely qualify it as your feelings.
                  Because it is not evidence based... .

                  Best wishes to you & all,

                  Jase
                  Jason Stewart
                  south-eastern Oz

                  ________________________________

                  From: Vishu Shetty <magicblack@... <mailto:magicblack%40gmail.com> >
                  To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>
                  Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 2:50 PM

                  Dear All,

                  Need information on buying seeds of *Pueraria Javanica* which I plan to use

                  it as a cover crop basically primarily to control Weed and also as live

                  mulch.

                  I am also seeking inputs on the *Pueraria Javanica* as a cover crop in

                  coffee plantation.

                  --

                  Vishu

                  http://titli.bikingvikings.com

                  The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

                • yajnesh shetty

                    From: Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...

                    From: Vishu Shetty <magicblack@... <mailto:magicblack%40gmail.com> >

                    To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>

                    Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 2:50 PM

                    Dear All,

                    Need information on buying seeds of *Pueraria Javanica* which I plan to use

                    it as a cover crop basically primarily to control Weed and also as live

                    mulch.

                    I am also seeking inputs on the *Pueraria Javanica* as a cover crop in

                    coffee plantation.

                    --

                    Vishu

                    http://titli.bikingvikings.com

                    The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

                  • vivasayee vivasayee
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 3, 2010
                      Hi Mr Anant ,Having association to natural farming ,As ucalyptus is non
                      environment friendly never recommended as it has the capability to deplete
                      the water source as linda explained detail about..There are many cash crops
                      you could think of as 90 acres is huge impact to the surroundings ...

                      If you want some thing to do for the environment and world ..think twice
                      whether to have this plant in ur field irrespective of its unfriendly
                      nature to environment ...

                      Regards
                      vivasayee

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 3, 2010
                        Recently visited santhosh farms in Pollachi which is 50 acres and has a mix of coconut, mango trees, teak and many more.

                        He has used Palmyra palm tree as live fence since he wanted to block elephants coming to farm from nearby forest.This tree is really strong and uprooting is not easy. I have seen people using Pathimukham (Caesalpenia sappan) which has thorns and has good medicinal values. I use gliricidia which gives lot of mulching material..

                        Dr.Nammalvar is an expert in live fencing and you can contact him for guidance.

                        Regards,
                        Nandan

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 3, 2010
                          Linda,

                          Eucalypts and acacias used to be 20% of Australian flora and now they
                          are 80% (according to Peter Andrews, not sure of his source) - Australia
                          becomes more and more arid...

                          Is  Eucalypts spreading by its own or people are planting it? Does goverment do anything about spreading Eucalypts and acacias? Just eager how things work in your part of world.

                          Regards,
                          Nandan

                          From: Vishu Shetty <magicblack@... <mailto:magicblack%40gmail.com> >

                          To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 3, 2010
                            Dear friend,
                            All bio diversity provided by nature is Eco-friendly. In some cases
                            mono-culture in man made jungles shows some problem can be solved by adding
                            diversity. Subabul with Eucalyptus will solve problem if any.
                            Thanks
                            Raju

                            On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 8:25 PM, vivasayee vivasayee <vivasayeee@...>wrote:

> [...]
                            > > bring up nutrients from the subsoil which then adds the nutrients to the
                            > > topsoil as they die and decompose... it�s all in the mind!
                            > >
                            > > Do you have plenty of water year round � if so then you should be able to
                            > > get perennial crops growing under them � the ones next door here have
                            > > climbers like honeysuckle around them and blackberries seem to do well
                            > too �
                            > > they are at the bottom of a slope so get all the nutrient and water from
                            > an
                            > > acre or so above them though... Blackberries will also deter the wild
                            > > animals and you will get food as well � all good! But they will grow
                            > faster
                            > > than the eucalypts and may smother them � not so good! If you plant them
                            > > fair distance away from the trees then they might work. They won�t add to

                            Raju Titus. Hoshangabad. 461001.India.
                            +919179738049.
                            http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus<http://picasawebalbum.google.com/rajuktitus>

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 3, 2010
                              Dear Nandan, and all,

                              This is my natural heartfelt work all my life, my part of the world (too),
                              Australia, especially Melbourne, far-east gippsland farming rural areas,
                              Victoria, Sydney, rural areas, NSW, ACT (Canberra & rural arras) and my
                              professional–natural–work for all and sundry (local state & federal gov't's,
                              voluntarily for communities including Aborigines' communities, companies,
                              farmers, landcare, bushcare, Royal Melb. Golf Club, etc.).
                              The authority & credibility, i have (without ego as best as i can), to say that
                              that is complete nonsense and must not get taken any further PLEASE! -quote:
                              "Eucalypts and acacias used to be 20% of Australian flora and now they are 80%
                              (according to Peter Andrews, not sure of his source) - Australia

                              becomes more and more arid..."

                              It's an extreme misrepresentation of ancient Australian geology, palaeobotany,
                              palynology and so on, poorly derived by Peter Andrews that i've read of his
                              writing, —evidently i understand this ancient Australian geology, palaeobotany,
                              palynology better than Peter Andrews does—i suppose because i have, in
                              privileges, been trained in it properly in University—
                              –deriving from taken completely out of context, 65 million (65,000,000) and more
                              years ago—Gondwanaland at the south pole— when Dinosaurs roamed the Earth and
                              most Angiosperm plants hadn't revolved yet (sensu late Mr.
                              Fukuoka<=evolved)—when the Himalaya's, according to geology, didnt exist yet,
                              and when India was not yet India but rather an subcontinent-sized island, north
                              of Antarctica, moving centimetres north per year towards continental Asia or
                              even, still part of the supercontinent Gondwanaland.
                              At this natural time plants, of what is now Australia, NZ, south America &
                              India, didn't include Eucalypts at all because they hadn't revolved yet (sensu
                              late Mr. Fukuoka<=evolved) at all.
                              The then ancestor species of all Eucalypts still grow today and are still found
                              today in the Wet Tropical Rainforests of far north Queenland, Australia & PNG –
                              most notably _Stockwellia_quadrifida_ (named after forester Mr. Stockwell).
                              Hence at that time 65,000,000 or more years ago the climate of the whole of our
                              Earth was very different, the continents (land masses) were not as they are
                              today, at all, and the plants and animals were not at all as they are today
                              (except for a very few botanically famous persisting species today like
                              Stockwellia, Wollemia, Araucaria, Agathis, Eucalyptopsis, few Protea-ancestors,
                              few Casuarina-ancestors, etc.)
                              As Australia (& India & NZ islands) broke into island–continents off from
                              Gondwanaland they very slowly moved northwards at varying rates of a few
                              centimetres per year. Multiply for example 5 cm by 65,000,000 years and you have
                              3250 km! As they moved towards the equator from the region of the south pole and
                              the Earth's climate changed through many revolutions, all over 65,000,000 years,
                              India came to smash into Asia pushing up the tallest mountain range in our
                              Earth, the Himalayas, creating the new headwaters of the sacred Ganges and many
                              more rivers. Australia moved slowly towards south-east Asia through the
                              Indian-Pacific ocean, into middle latitudes where the world over and in whatever
                              Earth climate they are known as relatively less rain-bearing latitudes from the
                              Earth-atmospheric circulation nature; Hence Australia is now known as "the
                              driest inhabited continent on Earth", about three-quarters by area-measurement
                              has an arid climate, naturally, since millions of years ago, which did lead to
                              the revolution (sensu late Mr. Fukuoka<=evolution) of Eucalypts and all the
                              non-rainforest floras around Australia, making up perhaps 20,000 species &
                              varieties of plants, which hadn't revolved=evolved as species yet at that time.
                              Hence also, as some human *cultures* and not others, have destroyed vegetation
                              en masse around our Earth over the last 13,000 years –eg.
                              Mediterranean-surrounding-cultures, some African-cultures–, these middle
                              latitudes in the northern and southern hemisphere's are the most vulnerable and
                              least quickly recovering from this vegetation destruction, so desert persists
                              longer, taking the longest to recover in these regions. Where in other regions
                              the moisture available from elsewhere like off oceans recovers the vegetation
                              more quickly.

                              You don't have to believe any of this science-based palaeo-history, but whatever
                              you believe about it, do not please believe interpretations of this science that
                              hack into incoherence (& in places racialist against Aborigines) by Peter
                              Andrews. The real sources the science, behind his science confusion, are there
                              in the original science writing for all to freely read.

                              etcetera
                              etcetera

                              /End of Gondwanaland history basics rushed-lesson.

                              Linda,
                              evidently you're way out of your depth on this subject, as evidently is Peter
                              Andrews, meanwhile as i'm, simply out of my depth, but can at least, roughly
                              relay the correct interpretation of many other scientists work, enough to
                              correct grossly unbalanced misinformation; to put this group back onto its topic
                              of healing our Earth rather than destroying it in the name of discriminating
                              falsely against Eucalypts. Eucalypts are natures lovely, in heart & practise,
                              trees & shrubs here in Oz in their more than 600 varieties.
                              Please read (available from the Libraries) the "Flora of Victoria [Australia]"
                              volume 1: Introductory volume with a Mr. Fukuoka slant on its science – and take
                              none of this rubbish advice part of his writing from Peter Andrews.
                              Please stop confusing people with fourth-hand poorly & emotively interpreted
                              nonsense.

                              Best wishes to all,

                              Jason Stewart

                              ________________________________

                              From: Vishu Shetty <magicblack@... <mailto:magicblack%40gmail.com> >

                              To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com <mailto:fukuoka_farming%40yahoogroups.com>

                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 4, 2010
                                Hi Nandan,

                                Acacias regenerate from fire, (when planting seed you pour boiling water over the seeds to create the same stimulation for germination), while most other plants are simply killed by fire. So the fires that ravage the Australian landscape every summer are probably the biggest cause. Also the traditional aboriginal farming techniques of burning tracts of bushland and then allowing them to regrow actually stimulates the germination of these species above all others – this is not racist, just reality – although not all the land was burnt in this way, over the 40000 years of aboriginal management it would obviously have had some impact.

                                Eucalypts spread both by fire regeneration (the fire creates a seed bed where they are then able to colonise areas that were previously covered by grasses etc) and by major plantings both in plantations and as native regeneration projects. I have baby eucalypts come up every year in my back yard from seeds falling into either disturbed soil or tubs of potting mix. They don’t seem to germinate so easily in areas already occupied by grass or other vegetation that isn’t burnt off or bare for any other reason.

                                Here is an interesting report on eucalypts in California http://library.csustan.edu/bsantos/section3.htm - covers both for and against and gives good forestry practices if you choose to use them.

                                And another that really just condemns them... http://www.audubonmagazine.org/incite/incite0201.html

                                There are definitely pros and cons – and I absolutely love the eucalypts here, but I don’t feel the need to grow masses more of them as they are already very well represented. However in any native planting project, I definitely include them – I just try and add a lot of other flora for diversity as well.

                                Kind Regards, Linda

                                Message 15 of 19 , Dec 4, 2010
                                  Dear Friends:
                                  I have been wanting to write for some time, especially to our good friends in India, to just give a bit of warning to them, about our Australian Eucalyptus & Casuarinas. I'm an Australian & I spent one year in 2003/4 living in India & recently had another short visit in June this year & plan another trip at the end of February, I have gained a strong love of India & it's people & am very impressed with some of the guys ideas & thoughts on life & the earths problems we discuss here.
                                  Then there was Anant's article on planting Eucalypt & Linda's & Jason's follow ups. I have known for a long time of other countries plantings of Eucalypt & read of some of the problems associated with these plantings. Being Australian I have grown up with a strong love of Eucalypts, but since moving to a larger farm 18 hectares [46 acres] 27 years ago I have become worried about some of their abilities, they are an incredible plant & for reforestation on difficult grown, they probably would be one of the best because of their ability to extract nutrients from the hardest of soils & in some places they certainly have a place, because certainly a Eucalypt is better than no tree at all. When I first started here with ideas of natural farming, I left my Eucalypts & inter planted then with other trees, fruit & nuts etc, but when the first drought hit this area, which is almost sub tropical, I noticed how they coped with it, first they extracted all available moisture from the soil to the detriment of other plants, then they had a massive leaf drop, which covered the ground with a mulch of their leaves, which I guess is a good thing for the earth, but their leaves retard the growth of other species & even prevent most grasses from growing. The smooth bark varieties also shed their bark & we think plants can't plan or think, but it looked like they were to me planning the next fire, which most Eucalypts & Casuarinas have evolved to withstand. If they don't get a regular fire, other species may take over, it is their ability to survive fire that has made them the dominant species.
                                  Unlike most Australians I had the idea that the best way to prevent our almost annual bushfires, was to improve the soil fertility & grow species that are less flammable. So I had started planting rainforest species here, which I felt grew more here in the past, than at the present day, but had been killed out, because mainly from the frequency of burn off's that are mostly been used as a fire prevention, which in my idea was creating the conditions for the next fire, as mainly only plants that can survive a burn end up becoming the main vegetation in such an area. I had kept fires out of my property for about 20 years, but one year there was a fire in the area & the bushfire brigade, which I was a member of, wanted to do a back burn to prevent spread of this fire, we started the burn at 1am in the morning & even with this really cool burn most of my rainforest species were scorched & died.
                                  Here in Australia after just over 200 years of occupation of Europeans, some of us are beginning to see the damage we have done in this time & are now saying that we should look at how the original Aborigines managed the land, the Aborigines didn't have any form of agriculture, but it is said they used to manage the land by cool burns early in the dry season. As Jason mentions it is said that Australia has become so arid because of the continents move over time into a part of the earth which is drier, but as Fukuoka says he believes that deserts are caused from the ground up & I think he's right, maybe we have moved into a drier zone, but if over something like 60,000 to 40,000 years the people inhabiting this land have been practicing burn offs, I'm pretty sure this has had an effect on the land, vegetation, fertility of the soils. To me it's logic if you burn up the efforts of nature each year instead of letting it decompose back into the earth, which is natures way, it will become denuded. I think with us being human we can't help but interfere with natures natural process, we are supposed to be intelligent beings, but I guess that depends on what idea we consider as being intelligent & if we decided that something is intelligent for what the person sees as his desire in the present, but is not in the good of natural processes, maybe it can't be called intelligent.
                                  When I visited Sensei at his home in Japan in 1984 he did one of his famous paintings for me & my Japanese wife interpreted his explanation of it, he said as we create a problem with our technologies, we think the smart thing is to solve it with another technology & he said with each technology we bury ourselves deeper & deeper.
                                  The warning I want to give to people in India is, I had seen plantings of Eucalypts & Casuarinas & noticed in some areas what appeared to be areas of these plants that appear to be spreading by natural seeding & it just worries me that if these plants are allowed to spread into your environments, in the future in your dry season you may begin to experience wild fires [bush fires] similar to what we experience here in Australia & which just a few year ago killed more than 200 people. Maybe because of how people use resources, it may not come to that state, but it's something you should be aware of. I think in lots of cases these trees are used for firewood or in other ways that maybe they don't reach maturity, so the problem may not be the same as here.

                                  Also I would like to make some comment on leguminous plants used in tropical areas such as in India. Fukuoka used White Clover which I don't think grows well in tropical areas & I haven't seen a similar plant that could be used in India, as most of the legumes I have seen & know in tropical places seem to be large bean like plants similar to "Pueraria Javanica" mentioned by Vishu, which might be ok with his coffee plants, but still I think would have to be watched in the early stages as they are so vigorous & rampant that they could over come them before they got large enough. In June I visited a natural farm in Auroville, in the area that they grew rice & millet, they were growing a large bean type legume & also some weeds that were said to be beneficial & I wasn't there to see the rice or millet planted, but such plants would not be able to be just cut & have the rice or millet sown into them, as before the grain would have a chance to get away they would be smothered. It seems that each plant would have to be removed by pulling out to give the grain crop a chance to get away, granted these plants would supply large amounts of humus & nitrogen, but their management would seem to be a big problem in natural farming. Are there other plants that are used that could be controlled easier in a similar way to Fukuoka's clover. Mr. Raju Titus's plant Subabul [Leucaena Luecocephla] is a shrub like plant that would I guess, have to be cut & used as mulch...regards...Norm...from Oz [Australia].
                                • Jason Stewart
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Dec 4, 2010
                                    Dear all, and Norm,

                                    In the sense of late Mr. Fukuoka Masanobu sensei's "natural people", Norm you
                                    are depressingly–falsely 'tarring' original "natural people" with the tar-brush
                                    of obviously–the–extreme–of–world–history examples of, my ancestors, greedy,
                                    land–grabbing–stealing, destructive (to nature and self=all nature), invading,
                                    grossly unsustainable, child–enslaving & African–enslaving–trading, historical
                                    Western European & Middle Eastern peoples (as i wrote as the extreme example
                                    peoples – often distinct as people speaking languages of the Indo-European
                                    language family and the inventors of the only *extremely–expansionary* forms of
                                    unsustainable agriculture)

                                    One key scholarly reference example:
                                    Harris, D. (2002). The expansion capacity of early agricultural systems: a
                                    comparative perspective on the spread of agriculture.In P. Bellwood and C.
                                    Renfrew eds,Examining the Farming/Language Dispersal Hypothesis, pp. 31–40.
                                    Cambridge: McDonald Institute for Archaeological
                                    Research.

                                    -----------------------

                                    In the sense of late Mr. Fukuoka Masanobu sensei's "natural faming" "natural
                                    people", Norm you are passing on lies by your writing "the Aborigines didn't
                                    have any form of agriculture".

                                    Scholarly References (i have and have read all these papers, and can supply them
                                    if really needed):
                                    *
                                    Convincing Ground: Learning to Fall in love with your country

                                    ________________________________

                                    Bruce PASCOE
                                    Availability: Print
                                    Electronic Book Format: www.ebooks.com
                                    April 2007, pb, 234x153mm, 304pp, b/w illus
                                    RRP $39.95 incl. GST
                                    ISBN 9780855755492
                                    | Contents | Sample Chapter | Index | Reviews |

                                    -> http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/asp/aspbooks/convground.html

                                    * Gammage, Bill 2003. Australia Under Aboriginal Management, 15th Barry Andrews
                                    Memorial Lecture,
                                    2002, Canberra: University College, University of NSW, Australian Defence Force
                                    Academy.

                                    * Denham, T.P. 2008. Traditional forms of plant exploitation in Australia and
                                    New Guinea: the search for common ground. Vegetation History and
                                    Archaeobotany 17: 245-8.
                                    -> http://www.adelaide.edu.au/efn/publications/Denham_TraditionalForms.pdf
                                    -> http://www.adelaide.edu.au/efn/projects/wgp/TDenham_Project.html

                                    * Gammage, Bill (2005), " '...far more happier than we Europeans': Aborigines
                                    and farmers" (PDF), London Papers in Australian Studies (formerly Working Papers
                                    in Australian Studies) (London: Menzies Centre for Australian Studies. King's
                                    College. Each year the Centre publishes London Papers in Australian Studies .
                                    These are representative of some of the most recent and exciting intellectual
                                    work in Australian Studies.) (12): 1–27, ISSN 1746-1774, retrieved 2010-11-23
                                    -> http://www.kcl.ac.uk/content/1/c6/01/27/52/LPAS12BillGammage1.pdf
                                    -> http://www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/depts/menzies/research/pubs/lp

                                    * Gammage, Bill 1986. Narrandera Shire Narrandera: Bill Gammage for the
                                    Narrandera Shire Council.

                                    * Denham, T., Donohue, M., & Booth, S. Horticultural experimentation in northern
                                    Australia reconsidered. Antiquity No. 83
                                    -> http://www.adelaide.edu.au/efn/publications/Denham_etal_2009_Antiquity.pdf

                                    * Gerritsen, R (2008). Australia and the origins of agricultureArchaeopress -
                                    British Archaeological Reports Ltd

                                    * Denham, T.P. and S. Mooney (2008). Human-environment interactions in Australia
                                    and New Guinea during the Holocene. The Holocene 18(3): 373-9.

                                    * Gott, Beth (1983) Murnong–Microseris scapigera: a study of a staple food of
                                    Victorian Aborigines - Australian Aboriginal Studies

                                    * Gott, Beth (1992) Koorie Plants, Koorie People: Traditional Aboriginal Food,
                                    Fibre and Healing Plants of Victoria - Koorie Heritage Trust, Victoria,
                                    Australia.

                                    * Gott, Beth (2005) Aboriginal fire management in south‐eastern Australia: aims
                                    and frequency - Journal of Biogeography, Wiley

                                    * Gammage, Bill (2008) Plain facts: Tasmania under aboriginal management -
                                    Landscape Research - Routledge
                                    -> http://westinstenv.org/wp-content/Gammagetasaborigsfires.pdf

                                    * Gerritsen, R (2010). 'Evidence for indigenous Australian
                                    agriculture',Australasian Science, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 35-37.
                                    -> http://www.australasianscience.com.au/article/issue-july-august-2010/evidence-indigenous-australian-agriculture.html

                                    * Denham, T.P. 2007. Early agriculture: recent conceptual and methodological
                                    developments. In T.P. Denham and P. White, eds, The emergence of agriculture: a
                                    global view, pp. 1-25. London: Routledge.

                                    * Denham, T.P. and J.P. White (eds.) (2007). The emergence of agriculture: a
                                    global view One World Archaeology Reader, London: Routledge.

                                    *Denham, T.P. J. Atchison, J. Austin, S. Bestel, D. Bowdery, A. Crowther, N.
                                    Dolby, A. Fairbairn, J. Field, A. Kennedy, C. Lentfer, C. Matheson, S. Nugent,
                                    J. Parr, M. Prebble, G. Robertson, J. Specht, R. Torrence, H. Barton, R.
                                    Fullagar, S. Haberle, M. Horrocks, T. Lewis and P. Matthews (2009).
                                    Archaeobotany in Australia and New Guinea: practice, potential and
                                    prospects. Australian Archaeology (accepted December 2008).
                                    -> http://www.adelaide.edu.au/efn/publications/denham_etal_2009.pdf

                                    * Denham, T.P., R. Fullagar and L. Head In press. Plant exploitation on Sahul:
                                    from colonisation to the emergence of regional specialisation during the
                                    Holocene. Quaternary International (accepted March 2008).

                                    * Gott, Beth (2008) Indigenous use of plants in south-eastern
                                    Australia - Telopea - rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au

                                    Many more contemporary papers by Gott, Beth; Bill Gammage; Chase; Hynes & Chase;
                                    etc..
                                    Much more literature by early European Australians.

                                    BTW:
                                    * Beth Gott is an elder ethno-botanist from Monash University, Melbourne; was my
                                    University lecturer there in 1990; and i continue to correspond with at times.
                                    * Tim Denham is a scholar from Monash University, Melbourne
                                    * Rupert Gerritsen is a self-funded scholar from here in Canberra attached to
                                    the National Library of Australia, A Petherick reader; who i've met &
                                    corresponded with a few times about all of this subject material

                                    -----------------------

                                    Do not get out your apparently triumphalist–Euro-centric–knives (please),
                                    whether you know you are doing so or not,
                                    to stab–in–the–back people in this sub–continent, who get called Aborigines.
                                    It amazes me how you who obviously–evidently are way out of your depth of
                                    detailed knowledge of this subject shoot your mouth of with unreferenced and
                                    often unbalanced opinions, while the most scholarly people i personally know of
                                    this subject, actively choose to say very circumspect statements about these
                                    ancient, or 200 years ago history, or today continuing but severely dispossed,
                                    subjects.
                                    Not really reading, listening, to what i've written about this subject here for
                                    up to 8 years and longer elsewhere, and to the extensively documented history of
                                    this subject; I'm really tired of that, of you–kind–of–Ozzies, Norm & Peter, and
                                    previously Adam & so on, not really reading, listening and so on to so many
                                    saying this for so many years, on this subject—thousands of years of sustainable
                                    nature farming in this continent, in the sense of the definition of late Mr.
                                    Fukuoka Masanobu sensei.

                                    It's great you've been to travelling in India. I want to hear a lot more stories
                                    about that please.
                                    But it is not necessary for this subject, learning this subject, to travel to
                                    India.
                                    The longest continuing nature farming traditions (in the sense of late Mr.
                                    Fukuoka Masanobu sensei's definition by his principles) in our Earth, and still
                                    continuing in some places in NSW, Australia, not so far from you Norm, like for
                                    example with the Scuthorpe's family in N.W. NSW.
                                    It's right before your eyes in the native Oz flora (& fauna) only waiting for
                                    you to see and hear and smell and touch and 'aware' it AND EAT it!

                                    Book Reference:

                                    "Bush foods of New South Wales"

                                    by Kathy Stewart & Bob Percival
                                    (Royal Botanic Gardens, Sydney 1997).

                                    -29 pages - many great photos - many great drawings-

                                    -> http://www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/85542/Bushfoodsbook.pdf

                                    Freeeeee!!! - I've paid money to buy many copies of it for friends over the
                                    years.

                                    An analogy reference:
                                    "ON A GREEN MOUNTAIN - With Masanobu Fukuoka Sensei of Natural Farming
                                    -Copyright (c) 1995 Jim Bones"
                                    -> http://web.archive.org/web/20060413224615/www.seedballs.com/gmmfpa.html

                                    ________________________________

                                    In order now is, from
                                    Historian, Teacher, Award winning writer of numerous book, short stories, poems
                                    et. al., Editor, etc,
                                    a truthful writing quote, for which plenty of scholarly and historical
                                    documentation occurs in the public record and often by famous historical figures
                                    like Mitchell, Sturt, etc.:
                                    -> http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=5858
                                    "
                                    Australians in denial ...
                                    By Bruce Pascoe - posted Monday, 21 May 2007

                                    Australia is a baby. An innocent baby, gurgling with good humour and wonder.
                                    We've pulled the paper bag over our head and believe no-one can see us.

                                    There we are, in the middle of the floor with a bag over our head. We refuse to
                                    look back at our past and hope that with no effort on our part the future will
                                    look after itself.

                                    We live in a country with an incredible history but pretend it began in 1788.
                                    The ancient past was not written so therefore it doesn't exist. The Aborigines
                                    are primitive hunter gatherers who are migrants to the country just like us, so
                                    really they had no more right to the land than we did. And we're better at it.

                                    Oh, baby, pull off the bag, examine your land.

                                    It is on the public record that Aboriginal people were not feckless and innocent
                                    nomads but constructed complex housing; harvested grain, yams, eels, fish and
                                    other produce with sophisticated feats of engineering; and created the first and
                                    most enduring art, music and language in the world.

                                    The social organisation looks amazingly like the first democracy, the first
                                    modern state where art and dance were devoted more time than the procurement of
                                    food.

                                    We live in an incredible place but refuse to believe its history.

                                    The eel aquaculture of the Western District of Victoria covers thousands of
                                    hectares and involves hundreds of kilometres of stone walls, weirs and tunnels
                                    burrowed through solid rock. The houses for these fishermen were set out in
                                    large villages and some of them could accommodate 20 or more people. They are
                                    like small town halls.

                                    Grain was harvested in Queensland and from other grasslands: the fields of over
                                    1,000 acres were carefully managed to maintain productivity. Settlers found this
                                    grain stored in stone silos and intricately sewn, vermin proof skin bags. Often
                                    the stored grain weighed over one tonne.

                                    This is all on the public record in the first hand reports of Europeans. So why
                                    do we maintain the myth of a crude civilisation meandering hopelessly across the
                                    continent? Because we have to? Because to admit anything else defies our
                                    perception of ownership and legitimacy, our own perception of how we took the
                                    land?

                                    We need to understand that there was a war in this country and the Indigenes
                                    lost it but not before conducting battles which forced the Europeans back on
                                    many fronts in the campaign. Aboriginal people did not just go away, disappear,
                                    die out from exotic diseases - they were defeated in war. That war is on the
                                    public record. The word “war” was used by our first governors and magistrates:
                                    it is there for any Australian to read.

                                    Of course it was unlike any other war we are familiar with because Aboriginal
                                    people had lived within nation boundaries which remained the same over
                                    thousands, probably tens of thousands, of years - their languages tell us this
                                    because of the reference to ancient climatic and geological events. This country
                                    is unique but we can't bring ourselves to admit it because we have to believe
                                    the Indigenes walked away from it, left the field in awe of the marvellous
                                    European.

                                    I implore young Australians to undertake a scrutiny of the available material
                                    and begin a negotiation with Aboriginal Australia, not about money but about our
                                    shared history, our shared future and in celebration of this land we love, the
                                    land we toast with cups of tea and Indigenous wine and beer

                                    We love our country but have pulled the bag over our head pretending the world
                                    can't see how we arrived

                                    Young Australians please read your history, don't believe your elders' version
                                    of events, most have got their head in a bag. You are young, intelligent,
                                    hopeful, you have the rest of your lives ahead of you. Enjoy it, learn that you
                                    live in a fabulous place where a civilisation developed which may yet teach us
                                    crucial lessons about sustainability and civilised behaviour.

                                    To understand our history is not an act of grand generosity but a bloody-minded
                                    necessity. The alternative is to live with a bag over your head ... and baby,
                                    it's dark in there.
                                    "

                                    Enough evidence said???

                                    Biggest best wishes,

                                    Jason
                                    SE Oz.

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Dec 4, 2010
                                      Late Mr. Fukuoka Masanobu sensei only talks–writes about re–Greening (in the
                                      sense of verdure) the world's man-made deserts – he spells this out in numerous
                                      documents – simplistically the areas that humans have desertified, not the
                                      natural deserts originating from nature-Great-Spirit-God-humans.
                                      Late Mr. Fukuoka Masanobu sensei does not throw out out pre-existing knowledge,
                                      explicitly he explains that that is necessary to fix the problems created by
                                      previous knowledge. It's better called by prexifing with the Japanese word: Mu
                                      knowledge – meaning no knowledge (against or outside of nature) – meaning all
                                      the credit for knowledge goes to nature and does not go to us as individuals –
                                      no egocentric knowledge. In alignment with the terms like no-action (mu i)
                                      (against nature) and no weeding by cultivation or herbicides (against nature),
                                      etc. .

                                      Are you going to 'grow' a nature farm in the sense of late Mr. Fukuoka Masanobu
                                      sensei in Antarctica?
                                      No! (that's of course absurd).
                                      Antarctica is, known as, the driest continent, on our Earth (essentially not
                                      permanently inhabitated in the self-sustaining sense of the definition of
                                      inhabited – Oz the driest inhabited continent)
                                      Antarctica, frozen deserts, of course are natural! (since tens of millions of
                                      years ago)

                                      Australia, central Australia's, deserts, originate in nature, existing in
                                      plentiful evidence since many millions of years ago, and many millions of years
                                      before humans ever existed.
                                      They are in constant flux (change) as is all nature, all the time. Expansion,
                                      contraction, different plant and animal species coming and going over millions
                                      of years, with many different shapes and sizes—forms—Protean.
                                      Humbly, the first Australians in much-evidence tamed the
                                      massive–continental–scale wild fires (lightning ignitions) by vastly reducing
                                      the scale, intensity and damage of those massive–continental–scale wild fires to
                                      human–scale patch burning the grassy vegetation types, and parts, not all, of
                                      the the shrubby–heathy vegetation types at the time European people, my
                                      ancestors, were invading with their colony (1770–88–).

                                      Reference:
                                      Bowman, David "Bushfires: A Darwinian Perspective"
                                      in Geoffrey Cary, David Lindenmayer, Stephen Dovers (2003) Australia burning:
                                      fire ecology, policy and management issues
                                      CSIRO Publishing. 280 pp.

                                      The Atacama desert, Chile is another natural desert from natural atmosphere &
                                      ocean current circulations and rainshadow behind mountains.
                                      Wikipedia quote:
                                      "
                                      The Atacama Desert is a virtually rainless plateau in South America, covering a
                                      600-mile (1,000 km) strip of land on the Pacific coast of South America, west of
                                      the Andes mountains. The Atacama desert is, according to NASA,National
                                      Geographic and many other publications, the driest desert in the
                                      world,[1][2][3] due to the rain shadow on theleeward side of the Chilean Coast
                                      Range, as well as a coastal inversion layer created by the cold
                                      offshore Humboldt Current.[4] The Atacama occupies 40,600 square miles (105,000
                                      km2)[5] in northern Chile, composed mostly of saltbasins (salares), sand,
                                      and felsic lava flows towards the Andes.
                                      "

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Dec 5, 2010
                                        Hi

                                        Thank you very much for your email.

                                        My father ( Anant Joglekar ) is out of station till 10 December, 2010 He shall
                                        get back to you after coming back.

                                        Warm Regards

                                        Shubhada Joglekar

[...]

                                        ->
                                        http://plantnet.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/NSWfl.pl?page=nswfl&lvl=sp&name=Maclura~cochinchinensis->
                                        http://www.rainforestpublishing.com.au/index.php?href=botanical&dir=botanical_pages&subpage=view&ext=php&array_place=13&item_id=533#image_533
                                        3

                                        (
                                        http://www.rainforestpublishing.com.au/botanical_images/Maclura%20cochinchinensis%209.jpg
                                        )

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Dec 7, 2010
                                          Hi Norm,

                                          A couple of people (Rajuji, Kumaraswamy +??) have been reporting that green gram (moong dal) can be used instead of white clover. Also there has been a suggestion that cow pea also can be used..But I think this research has to be done in more fields and a working system like Fukuoka's style of paddy has to come up.

                                          Please read Fukuoka san's statement on white clover in the following interview..

                                          http://thepines.blogspot.com/2009/07/pines-i-notice-that-youre-drawing.html -

                                          "Hmmm... my climate is totally unlike his, so rather than use white
                                          clover, I'll try this other ground cover." That line of reasoning could
                                          well take you off the track and lead you down a lot of blind alleys!
                                          Clover is necessary to keep the weeds back and replenish the soil.

                                          Regards,
                                          Nandan