Fwd: BHOODAN (translation)

  • Sumant Joshi
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2010
      Happiness is where there is greeneryNon-violent farming gets land donationRatlam, dated 20 Nov 2010100 year old Gandhian, freedon fighter and Acharya Vinoba Bhave's follower, Mr Champalal Pirodia and his sons have forsaken the violence of pesticides, tilling and artificial fertilizers on their farmland of 8 Bigha. They have adopted natural farming practices taught by the world renowned Mr Masanobu Fukuoka. This type of farming improves productivity, quality and also profit.Sun HempDuring the rainy season Mr Pirodia planted Sun hemp on his small plot which completely took over his entire land. This resulted in zero weeds, improved porosity of the soil and gave it abundant nitrogen fertilizer. It also gave him 800 kilos of seed per Bigha. The cost of this is Rs 40 per kg in the market. In Nov wheat was broadcast and the soil was mulched with the left overs of Sun hemp and lightly irrigated. This should result in about a ton of wheat which is equal in
      productivity in central India.Profits galoreMr Pirodia says that though he believes in non-violence, it does not mean he will accept any losses on his farm. This type of farming is capable of giving us financial, environmental, social and religious advantages. Since the capital input is lower by about 80%, profits are gauranteed.There is no soil erosion and absence of artificial fertilizers means our fields will become more productive year after year. Water runoff being minimal, our borewells also will have more water. Water scarcity will be a thing of the past and this is a major advantage. No-till farms work like natural rain forests and this will help combat global warming and climate change. This is a moment of pride for us.The Pirodia family is known in Ratlam for community service. Thye have now started asking people to donate land (adopt non-violent agriculture) on their land. Many people have seen his results and promised to follow it.I have
      been working on popularising natural farming for the last 25 years and know what it means. I bow my head to Mr Pirodia's work. He has done something which planners, saints and scholars alike have failed to do.
      thanks you
      Raju Titus
      Warm regards,
      Sumant Joshi