Re: garden shredder

  • nigwil
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2010
      My reservation about getting excited about shredders, strimmers and other small power tools is that while they may provide a short-term incremental benefit to the amount of work you have to put in to your garden, they do represent all that is UNSUSTAINABLE in agriculture today.

      There is a huge body of farmers of Fukuoka and Permacultural persuasions who are trying desperately to move away from any form of non-sustainably-powered tools or systems for primary food production. The availability (and now the decline) of fossil fuels have got us into this mess.

      To those who by some quirk of global economics find they can start to afford such gadgets and the fuel to run them, there are many who like myself would cry "Beware - that way lies the danger we are running away from!!!!"

      I have watched many men using power shredders, choppers, strimmers, trimmers clippers and blowers, and I am quite satisfied that the same agricultural outcomes could be readily achieved with less effort and a lot more harmoniously by the use of the same simple hand tools that served my great grandfather's generation and all before so well.

      Kind regards

      Nigel