Re: [fukuoka_farming] Controlling weeds and effect of weeds

  • yajnesh shetty
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 6, 2010
      --- On Sat, 11/6/10, Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...> wrote:
      For a day, hired a brush cutter and it was quite effective. Used this only for a day since renting was costly.

      ******  Hello Nandan,
      Is this the Honda brush cutter you mentioned earlier? If so, does it use a blade or a plastic string? Does it run on electricity or petrol? Any idea what it costs?                                                                                                                     Regards,                                                                                                                          Yaj.

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 8, 2010
        Hi Jason,

        Thanks for the insights.

        "that skythe can work closer to oil powered tools.." I was comparing the
        efficiency of skythe tool w.r.t oil powered tools.

        I have seen vegetables/banana/grains in the middle of weeds does not grow well,
        may be once the land really improves with enough humas content, this may work
        out, but not right now. As a beginner I overlooked this problem and thought
        weeds always help the growth. But this is one of the area where the new comers
        should be educated while starting the natural farming.

        Regards,
        Nandan

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 9, 2010
          We have a Oleo Mac brushcutter which runs on petro and uses a plastic
          string. After subsidy, the cost was around Rs 16000/-.

          On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM, yajnesh shetty <yajnesh@...> wrote:

          > --- On Sat, 11/6/10, Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...<p_k_nandanan%40yahoo.com>>
          > wrote:
          > For a day, hired a brush cutter and it was quite effective. Used this only
          > for a day since renting was costly.
          >
          > ****** Hello Nandan,
          > Is this the Honda brush cutter you mentioned earlier? If so, does it use a
          > blade or a plastic string? Does it run on electricity or petrol? Any idea
          > what it
          > costs?
          > Regards,
          > Yaj.

          Vishu

          http://titli.bikingvikings.com

          The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

        • yajnesh shetty
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 9, 2010
            Thanks for your reply Vishu.
            I was not aware these were available here and  more so have a subsidy on them. The reason I asked is I had just imported a Shindaiwa line trimmer 24.5 cc  from the US and it cost me Rs 21000/- including customs duty of 3500/-.  Would have purchased locally had  I known, since repairs and spares would be much easier.
                                                                               Regards,
                                                                                  Yaj

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 10, 2010
              What I had used was a hero honda brush cutter and it has options to use plastic
              string and a blade. Plastic string is used for cutting grass and blade for bush
              type plants. Costing should be around 28000/- but again you get subsidy from
              local agriculture department for half the amount.

              Regards,
              Nandan

              ________________________________
              We have a Oleo Mac brushcutter which runs on petro and uses a plastic
              string. After subsidy, the cost was around Rs 16000/-.

              On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM, yajnesh shetty <yajnesh@...> wrote:

              > --- On Sat, 11/6/10, Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...<p_k_nandanan%40yahoo.com>>
              > wrote:
              > For a day, hired a brush cutter and it was quite effective. Used this only
              > for a day since renting was costly.
              >
              > ****** Hello Nandan,
              > Is this the Honda brush cutter you mentioned earlier? If so, does it use a
              > blade or a plastic string? Does it run on electricity or petrol? Any idea
              > what it
              > costs?
              > Regards,
              > Yaj.

              Vishu

              http://titli.bikingvikings.com

              The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

            • Vishu Shetty
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 11, 2010
                Dear Anantji,

                I got it through Agriculture help center in Sakleshpur and for the subsidy,
                you need to provide khata and tax paid certificates. The process might
                differ in your state.

                Below is a link to the dealer in Bangalore who could provide contacts near
                to your place:

                http://www.ratnagiriimpex.com/aboutus.html

                Oleo Mac is an italian make which has the option of wire for grass and blade
                for bush. This was highly recommended by quite a few and is pretty robust
                and reliable.

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 11, 2010
                  Thanks for the reply Nandan. I will keep the subsidies in mind before making future purchases.

                                                                      Regards,

                                                                         Yaj.

                  We have a Oleo Mac brushcutter which runs on petro and uses a plastic

                  string. After subsidy, the cost was around Rs 16000/-.

                  On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM, yajnesh shetty <yajnesh@...> wrote:

                  > --- On Sat, 11/6/10, Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...<p_k_nandanan%40yahoo.com>>

                  > wrote:

                  > For a day, hired a brush cutter and it was quite effective. Used this only

                  > for a day since renting was costly.

                  > ****** Hello Nandan,

                  > Is this the Honda brush cutter you mentioned earlier? If so, does it use a

                  > blade or a plastic string? Does it run on electricity or petrol? Any idea

                  > what it

                  > costs?

                  > Regards,

                  > Yaj.

                  Vishu

                  http://titli.bikingvikings.com

                  The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

                • Anand Saraf
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 21, 2010
                    Dear Mr. Vishu and Fukuoka group,

                    I have been a member of the group for last 2-3 years and find it extremely
                    motivating reading. I am a fairly new farmer having taken up farming about 2
                    years ago. We have some land near Sakleshpur which had not been cultivated
                    for last 30-40 years and had overgrown with jungle (kad). Also, there were
                    no facilities available at site, such as electricity, water, quarters, etc.

                    I am trying to grow coffee on this land. I am a keen believer in natural
                    farming methods and considering that the land had not been cultivated at all
                    for so many years and had no chemicals in it - had decided to follow
                    natural/organic method for cultivating this land. It has been a struggle but
                    am confident that I will not "convert" to chemical farming methods as
                    ardently advised to me by all surrounding farmers.

                    Since we have not razed the land and not cut down the trees, we are facing
                    lot of trouble with very fast re-growth of weeds/jungle, despite continuous
                    slashing, which quickly cover the coffee plants.

                    I am planning to invest in a brush cutter for this reason. Mr Vishu - can
                    you please share with me the details on the model number, location of the
                    agriculture help center, etc.

                    If you could spare a few minutes and share your phone number to my email
                    address (anandsaraf@...), I would like to speak with you and take your
                    advice. It would be great to get to know a fellow farmer from Sakleshpur!

                    Warm regards

                    Anand

                    <mailto:apjoglekar%40yahoo.co.in> >wrote:

                    > Dear Vishnuji
                    >
                    > I am a certified organic farmer from Maharashtra State India.
                    >
                    > I am interested in buying these brush cutters for cutting grass in my 90
                    > acres eucalyptus plantation.
                    >
                    > Will you please help me by providing the dealer contact details, company
                    > website details and also the relevant details of the scheme under which
                    you
                    > claimed the subsidy.
                    >
                    > With warm regards
                    >
                    > Anant Joglekar
                    >

                    > Sent with Best Compliments -
                    > Call me at-
                    > +919423089706 / +917232245567 / +917232288724
                    > Post me at-
                    > Anant Joglekar, Secretary and C.E.O; Organic Linkage On-line Multipurpose
                    > Organisation, 9,Patrakar Nagar, Yavatmal Maharashtra State, India 445001
                    > Meet me at-
                    > yahoo- apjoglekar / skype- orgagro / trade manager- orgagro
                    >
                    > BE ORGANIC - BUY ORGANIC - LIVE
                    > ORGANIC
                    >

                    > ------------------------------

                    <mailto:yajnesh%40yahoo.com> <yajnesh%40yahoo.com>>
                    > wrote:
                    >

                    > > --- On Sat, 11/6/10, Nandan <p_k_nandanan@...
                    <mailto:p_k_nandanan%40yahoo.com> <p_k_nandanan%40yahoo.com>
                    > <p_k_nandanan%40yahoo.com>>
                    >
                    > > wrote:
                    > > For a day, hired a brush cutter and it was quite effective. Used this
                    > only
                    > > for a day since renting was costly.
                    > >
                    > > ****** Hello Nandan,
                    > > Is this the Honda brush cutter you mentioned earlier? If so, does it use
                    > > blade or a plastic string? Does it run on electricity or petrol? Any
                    idea
                    > > what it
                    > > costs?
                    > > Regards,
                    > > Yaj.

                    > --
                    > Vishu
                    >
                    > http://titli.bikingvikings.com
                    >
                    > The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it
                    happens

                    Vishu

                    http://titli.bikingvikings.com

                    The future enters into us, in order to transform us, long before it happens

                  • Boovarahan Srinivasan
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 22, 2010
                      Mr Anand Saraf,

                      I am notcompetent / experienced enough to comment Yet I would like to
                      suggest one thing based on my observation.

                      Weeds need sunlight to grow as plants. I have noticed in my adjacent farm
                      that no weeds were seen where rice straw was piled up as a heap. It follows
                      that you can try spreading rice straw and cut grass (without roots) densly
                      so that the weeds are starved of sunlight which will eventually deter their
                      growth.
                      Just a suggestion !.

                      Boovarahan S

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 22, 2010
                        Dear Jason,

                        Thank you for the detailed and very useful email. I agree with most of what you said and have been trying to incorporate in my farming. We are trying hard to both keep the trees as far as possible (I feel physically hurt to see a tree being cut down) and also keep the natural vegetation.

                        I have been lucky that our land has a fairly large number of trees and so we have dense tree cover, although the average height is not much (between 30 and 50 feet). This is because the previous owners had cut all the trees once about 20 years ago.

                        Since these are coffee growing regions, the natural crop of the region is coffee. But I am happy to say that I took up farming for the passion and not “making money” J so we try hard to find the natural balance of things.

                        Warm regards

                        Anand