Sweet corn grown in lawn

  • George
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2010
      My neighbour, who has the run off where I plant a crop of sweet corn every
      season, has finally decided at 93 that it is time he moved in to a rest
      home. The house is going on the market. No growing in his garden this year.

      My existing raised gardens are fully at present.

      So, I have grown sweet corn seedlings and planted them into the lawn.

      First I scalped the grass with the lawn mower. I dug a slit into the soil,
      like planters do when planting pine trees, and placed the SC seedlings into
      the slit and then closed it back up.

      The soil is loamy and because it was undisturbed lawn, has good structure.
      The soil should be fertile and have enough nutrients in it.

      It may need to be irrigated more regularly than in a garden but I can take
      care of that.

      Anyone have any comments or advice?

      Rob
    • Raju Titus
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2010
        Dear friend,
        Thank you very much for growing sweet corn by zero tillage. Please add photo
        in group,s gallery.
        Thanks Raju

        On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 2:22 PM, George <roblyn@...> wrote:

        > My neighbour, who has the run off where I plant a crop of sweet corn every
        > season, has finally decided at 93 that it is time he moved in to a rest
        > home. The house is going on the market. No growing in his garden this year.
        >
        > My existing raised gardens are fully at present.
        >
        > So, I have grown sweet corn seedlings and planted them into the lawn.
        >
        > First I scalped the grass with the lawn mower. I dug a slit into the soil,
        > like planters do when planting pine trees, and placed the SC seedlings into
        >
        > the slit and then closed it back up.
        >
        > The soil is loamy and because it was undisturbed lawn, has good structure.
        > The soil should be fertile and have enough nutrients in it.
        >
        > It may need to be irrigated more regularly than in a garden but I can take
        > care of that.
        >
        > Anyone have any comments or advice?
        >
        > Rob

        Raju Titus. Hoshangabad. 461001.India.