Re: [fukuoka_farming] RE: Paddy farming experiment

  • Frank McAvinchey
    Message 1 of 38 , Nov 1, 2010
      What if you just flatten the straw by pulling a long log, or tube over it,
      behind a cow? That way, the soil bacteria and funguses will have an
      uninterrupted road up the stalks to turn them into soil. If you are going
      with the seed ball method, like Fukuoka, you don't need to till at all.
      Much less work, or so it sounds like to me.

      Regarding the cutting of the grain heads with a sickle, how did you manage
      to keep the grain heads from falling on the ground each time you made a cut?
      Seems like you could attach some sort of "cradle" to the sickle blade, much
      like the old style of scythe with the wooden arms that held the cut straw
      and helped keep it from falling all over the place. If you attached a sort
      of plastic sheet or catcher to the blade of the sickle, you should be able
      to catch all the grain heads and dump them into large, fabric bags that you
      would have with a strap over your shoulder. Just some thoughts. I had
      thought about designing something like that so folks could build it at their
      own site, but I haven't done it yet.

      Frank

      On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 1:40 AM, Nandan Palaparambil <p_k_nandanan@...

    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 6, 2011
        Hi Jason,
        Barking dogs don't bite.
        Pass your way.
        Like you I think we should talk of things we know, or keep it shut.
        Cheers.
        RUTHIE