Re: [fukuoka_farming] RE: Paddy farming experiment

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 38 , Oct 30, 2010
      Hi all,

      Just to close the loop on my experiment, here is the final update..

      I harvested the paddy, just cut the heads alone with the sickle. This was quite
      fine, since anyway I was planning to use the straw to mulch the field. This
      reduced the effort of carrying back the straw back to the field. Threshed and
      got around 3Kgs of paddy while I had sown around 1Kg.

      We prepared some thing called 'Aval' in our local language (don't know the
      english name for this), basically the rice gets pressed hard and becomes flat,
      can mix with milk and eat. Taste is really good..

      I am planning to do light tilling and try the paddy once but stil yet to find a
      powe tiller for this. Another plan is to use a honda brush cutter and cut the
      grass very low and flood it for 10 days so that the grass decay and then
      transplant/broadcast the paddy. Will update all if any of this thing happens.

      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 6, 2011
        Hi Jason,
        Barking dogs don't bite.
        Pass your way.
        Like you I think we should talk of things we know, or keep it shut.