Re: [fukuoka_farming] Seed Saving Organizations, Courses, Jobs?!

  • Frank McAvinchey
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2010
      Thomas,

      Bom dia! I am in Ohio, USA, and don't know about the European or Brazilian
      situation, but here in the USA, we have several heavy-duty organizations
      dedicated to what you are looking for. One that comes to mind is the Rodale
      Institute in Pennsylvania, another is Seed Savers Exchange (
      www.seedsavers.org), another is (
      www.suite101.com/article.cfm/vegetable_gardening/50436), International Seed
      Savers Institute (www.seedsave.org) at PO Box 4619,
      Ketchum<http://www.wiserearth.org/organization/search?phrase=%22Ketchum%22>
      , Idaho <http://www.wiserearth.org/organization/search?phrase=%22Idaho%22>
      83340 <http://www.wiserearth.org/organization/search?phrase=%2283340%22>,
      United
      States<http://www.wiserearth.org/organization/search?phrase=%22United+States%22>,
      just to get you some contacts.

      Best of luck!

      Frank

      On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 6:43 AM, thomcprestes <thomcprestes@...>wrote:

      > Dear friends,
      >
      > I would like to learn about seed saving, hopefully to get "qualified" in it
      > - to learn it as deeply as I can in order to help spreading the movement of
      > seed conservation in Brazil (where I come from) as the threats of GM become
      > bigger and bigger. Also, during my travelings, I've noticed that very few
      > farms have a good project or habit of saving their own seeds, so I thought
      > that is an important area to learn more about in order to help.
      > I am now looking probably for courses and also for a job (any job...) in a
      > good Seed Saving organization, in a way that I could be at least in contact
      > with the people and the work (even if the job itself wouldn't at the
      > beginning be exactly with the seed saving, as I have no knowledge to get a
      > job with that). The idea of the job is just that I would like to be able to
      > sustain myself while I learn, and ideally I'd be getting my sustain near or
      > at the place where I can learn and be in contact with the seed saving and
      > people involved in that.
      > I am looking for places both in Europe and in Brazil (I am
      > brazilian/italian citizen). Am now in Portugal, but will probably be going
      > to Brazil in the end of this year, unless I'd find a good opportunity of
      > learning/working here in Europe.
      > Would any of you be able to suggest me a place to start my researches?!
      > Links, contacts, names?! Anything?!
      > I seem to remember a post one year or so ago about a place in France where
      > they did seed conservation and were looking for people to look after the
      > place, but couldn't find it on my search.
      > Anyhow, thanks very much in advance..!
      > Best regards,
      > Thomas

    • thomcprestes
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29, 2010
        Dear Sumant Joshi, Frank, Ute and Wolfgang,

        thank you very much for your replies.

        I knew about some of these places, but some are new to me and anyhow it's very good to look into it all and to get an idea of interesting things going on in different places. I'll surely have a more careful look into all these links (the ones I knew and the ones I didn't..!) during the coming days.

        In case I'll make some interesting discovery I'll surely share it with this group.

        All the best,
        thomas