Re: [fukuoka_farming] FW: Invitation: 24/Oct:Kisan Swaraj Yatra @ Bangalore

  • Sumant Joshi
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 2010
      Dear all,
      Kisan swaraj has no meaning unless farmers are given actual powers over their environment and that includes forests. Lekha Mendha is such a village where 3000 acres of land is today under direct control of the village government.
      One of the issues of sustainable ways of living has to do with basic flaws of governance in India. About 30% of all land in India is under government control, which means government servants who have no stake in preserving the environment or helping farmers achieve self sufficiency. The following article is a story of an experiment in self governance in Rajasthan where villagers in 'seed' village did what no government schemes could do.
      http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/node/12543

      Sent from my BSNL landline B-fone

      Warm regards,

      Sumant Joshi