Seedball article in San Francisco Chronicle

  • david.keltie@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 9, 2010
      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/08/HOD71FJ2NR.DTL
      Cheers, David

    • krishna mohan k
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2010
        Nice article, thanks David.

        Indeed yesterday our office has organized seed ball drive in bangalore. It was nice to see 150 people participating. As yesterdays date was 10/10/10, the motto of our drive was to scatter 101010 seed balls and yesterday was phase one of our seed ball drive.

        We scatterd around 30,000 seed balls containing native seed varites in a barren land of semi forest area. The success rate here in bangalore for seed ball conversion to tree is 20-30% . Came to know yesterday that the cost of tree planted this way to traditonal way is 1/100th the cost.
        Thought of sharing my nice experience.

        thanks
        Krishna.

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, david.keltie@... wrote:

        > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/08/HOD71FJ2NR.DTL
        > Cheers, David

      • Kumar Swamy
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2010
          Dear Krishna,
          Great work.
          But It could be more successful if have done it in June/July. Because the
          Natural germination pattern start when monsoon arrives (In India).
          Please Consider this when you do the same activity in future.

          Regards,
          Kumarswamy.

          On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 2:53 PM, krishna mohan k
          <krishnamohan12@...>wrote:

          > Nice article, thanks David.
          >
          > Indeed yesterday our office has organized seed ball drive in bangalore. It
          > was nice to see 150 people participating. As yesterdays date was 10/10/10,
          > the motto of our drive was to scatter 101010 seed balls and yesterday was
          > phase one of our seed ball drive.
          >
          > We scatterd around 30,000 seed balls containing native seed varites in a
          > barren land of semi forest area. The success rate here in bangalore for seed
          > ball conversion to tree is 20-30% . Came to know yesterday that the cost of
          > tree planted this way to traditonal way is 1/100th the cost.
          > Thought of sharing my nice experience.
          >
          > thanks
          > Krishna.

          > david.keltie@... wrote:
          > >

          > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/08/HOD71FJ2NR.DTL
          > > Cheers, David

        • bessonnier sébastien
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 11, 2010
            Dear all,

            I am also waiting rain season to see what happen to my seed balls.
            They are currently waiting under a cover of dry weeds and banana leaves.

            Let's wait and see,

            Sebastien, from tropical island Mayotte

            ________________________________
            De : Kumar Swamy <kadakolla@...>
            À : fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
            Envoyé le : Mar 12 octobre 2010, 3h 27min 29s
            Objet : Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Seedball article in San Francisco Chronicle

            <krishnamohan12@...>wrote:

            > Nice article, thanks David.
            >
            > Indeed yesterday our office has organized seed ball drive in bangalore. It
            > was nice to see 150 people participating. As yesterdays date was 10/10/10,
            > the motto of our drive was to scatter 101010 seed balls and yesterday was
            > phase one of our seed ball drive.
            >
            > We scatterd around 30,000 seed balls containing native seed varites in a
            > barren land of semi forest area. The success rate here in bangalore for seed
            > ball conversion to tree is 20-30% . Came to know yesterday that the cost of
            > tree planted this way to traditonal way is 1/100th the cost.
            > Thought of sharing my nice experience.
            >
            > thanks
            > Krishna.

            > david.keltie@... wrote:
            > >

            > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/08/HOD71FJ2NR.DTL
            > > Cheers, David

          • Yugandhar S
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 12, 2010
              Hi Krishna,
              A really good effort on your part. What kumar said makes sense. This could
              have been done much earlier, instead of waiting for the date.

              Best Regards
              Yugandhar

              <krishnamohan12@...>wrote:

              > Nice article, thanks David.
              >
              > Indeed yesterday our office has organized seed ball drive in bangalore. It
              > was nice to see 150 people participating. As yesterdays date was 10/10/10,
              > the motto of our drive was to scatter 101010 seed balls and yesterday was
              > phase one of our seed ball drive.
              >
              > We scatterd around 30,000 seed balls containing native seed varites in a
              > barren land of semi forest area. The success rate here in bangalore for seed
              > ball conversion to tree is 20-30% . Came to know yesterday that the cost of
              > tree planted this way to traditonal way is 1/100th the cost.
              > Thought of sharing my nice experience.
              >
              > thanks
              > Krishna.

              > david.keltie@... wrote:
              > >

              > http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/10/08/HOD71FJ2NR.DTL
              > > Cheers, David

            • krishna mohan k
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 12, 2010
                Hi Yugandar and kumar thanks for the suggestions.

                Last year seed ball drive was carried during sep 09 in Devarabetta forest area 60 kms from bangalore. It has been seen that there is success rate of 37% which is really good considering the arid conditions over there. Nearly 100000 seed balls were scattered in this drive.
                I was not part of last years drive but this year i could make it.

                regards,
                krishna.