Re: [fukuoka_farming] Nature Farming 自 然農法 across our continent cal led Australia over 1000s of years.

  • Sumant Joshi
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 18, 2010
      The article by Prof Gammage is superb. In many ways quite insightful, frank and honest. No doubt the principles of sensei Fukuoka stand vindicated. The issue I think is, do whatever is sustainable and it will work. Similar practices by the Andamanese indicate that many of them are evolutionary in nature, meaning that if something isn't sustainable, it dies out. Anyone wishing to read more on this can read 'land of naked people' by Madhusree Mukerjee, or look up www.andaman.org
      I am attaching a small extract from the book below:
      "Some odd customs of the
      Onge (aboriginal tribe) were in fact beneficial, discovered Lidio Cipriani, an Italian
      anthropologist who camped on Little Andaman during the 1950s. The Onge
      believed, for instance, that the creepers with fleshy edible roots, which they
      dug out and ate, were under the protection of a spirit. So were the yams, which
      the Onge had to steal from the ground: On no account must there be any signs of
      the theft for the spirit to see, so they quietly take off roots or tubers some
      way from the main stem and leave the rest, patting the earth down afterwards
      and covering the place with leaves. The plant continued to flourish, evidently
      helped by the pruning.

      Curiously, plants
      protected by benign spirits tended to be edible, whereas those belonging to
      malevolent ones were poisonous. The Onge also had taboos against the killing of
      birds and of boars in the breeding season.

      Some of these
      prohibitions clearly aided the Onge in using and preserving their environments
      resources. Richard Dawkins, a scientist and visionary, has suggested that a few
      simple, elemental ideas (known as memes) win a Darwin-like competition with
      other ideas and catch on, because they somehow enhance the survival of their
      adherents. Indeed, the islanders might have suffered from hunger if theyd
      routinely uprooted tuberous plants or shot pregnant sows.

      Cipriani found Little
      Andaman to be so rich in boar, lobsters, fruit, and other delicious fare that
      he did not have to carry rations. Indeed, the Onge would throwaway any fish
      they deemed to be even slightly stale. So easily is sea food procured that they
      do not consider any laying up for the morrow, another visitor, Suydam Cutting,
      wrote in 1932. When a man is hungry he goes out and catches the food for his
      immediate use and that is all. The islanders lived in such plenty at least in
      part because of their seemingly whimsical beliefs."

      Warm regards,

      Sumant Joshi