Re: [fukuoka_farming] fukuoka's agronomical reform

  • GLORIA BAIKAUSKAS
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2001
      I have no idea re apples. From what I have read you get what you get by planting seeds.....or you go with grafting the varieties you wish on rootstocks. I suppose one alternative would be as is done by Seeds of Change in New Mexico in trying to bring back old apples from even the 1700s......maybe one is from the 1600s in Europe. They sell out fast, and I have not been able to obtain one as of yet. I will keep trying. By bringing back the older varieties to larger numbers perhaps the genetic strains available for natural pollination would bring about more variety in the product trees of the seeds? I am guessing here. I wish I were more highly educated in apple genetics. I had only begun investigating this when all of this came up.

      Growing apples in Texas is not an easy task. I try to stick to native varieties in most of my selections even hoping for volunteers to sprout on my 3 acres. It is I suppose why I used the apple as an example here.

      When I compost I sheet compost directly from my kitchen. In this way I often (luckily) get volunteer plants of unknown genetics. Fukuoka says the best will survive.

      I also go about different areas plucking seeds from the trees, etc., to use with seedballs on my land to see what I will get from it all. I am new at all of this. I joined this list to learn. I found out that what I was attempting on my own was similar to Mr. Fukuoka's principles. I had reported success with my experimental way of not arranging my newly reclaimed beds. By reclaimed I mean soil that I had to reclaim as it was basically dead. I had spent some years (about 4), allowing the soil to naturally come back after gross overchemicalization by farming for nearly 100 years, as well as composting, adding compost and natural amendments to a certain extent. Then I began planting things all together. As time went on the things in the wrong place, etc, died out, and the things that were happy were they were made amazing healthy spurts of growth. Native grasses are coming back in the back acre which is a slight hill now, as well as native plants that I did not plant. Probably birds, etc. did the deed. I had not planned anything for back there as yet. The land there has come back on its own totally. It is so exciting for me to watch it.

      I will most likely try seedballs up there eventually. I am not sure right now. I kind of like the way it is progressing on its own......and with the birds' or other critters help.

      My efforts at soil rebuilding have involved small areas at a time. Yet the land and Nature seem to have their own ideas, too. Mr. Fukuoka's ideas made sense to me immediately. I am learning now, but I know it will take time. I do not till. I just plant into what is there and see what happens as if it were all a great experiment.

      So, I am not one to comment in any large way anymore than I already have re how to obtain viable marketable crops naturally other than to say that because plant genetics differ it will be necessary to amend the processes in some categories. I do believe that having more genetic stock that has had less tampering will benefit it all, though.

      Gloria
      Texas
      USA