Paddy farming experiment

  • Nandan
    Message 1 of 38 , Aug 9, 2010
      Hi All,

      Here is a summary of my paddy farming experiment...

      I started the paddy in my 0.6 acres of land. For two years nothing was done on this plot and different types of grass was growing thick, I got it cleared and wanted to do tilling to start with. My plan was to start the paddy after tilling and once the paddy is established avoid tilling in the next cycle onwards. But finally I couldn't get a tiller, hence tried the paddy without tilling, transplanted 10 days old paddy which was raised in a separate nursery.Transplanting was tried out since grass were growing at fast rate and hence to give paddy some advantage compared to the grass.

      By the time of transplanting grass was already thick and hence just cleared the grass where I had to plant the paddy. This was done
      in straight line and at 1 feet distance,but most of the places it became close to 1.5 feet, which was a mistake. I just cut and
      mulched the grass surrounding, it was labor intensive. I completed the transplanting and after 2 weeks when I visited, the grass was
      too thick and was completely covering the paddy. I was little disappointed but didn't want to leave it at that point. Again cut and
      mulched the grass and had to spend long hours of effort for this. If I had tilled, I am sure, paddy would have established first and
      by the time grass grows back.

      Even after cutting and mulching grass grows very quickly back and rate of growth of grass is greater than paddy and grass
      easily dominate paddy.

      As it stands paddy farming in grass is a challenge..obviously if it can be done easily people would have adopted it in large numbers. The total effort of planting the paddy and cutting the grass and mulching was 25 person days (8 hours a day). But if I had tilled and then planted, it would have been over with 7 or 8 person days.

      I am not going to leave my no-till paddy at this point, but will continue with my experiments in a small area (0.2 acres) of the
      land and will go for tilling in the rest of the area as of now. I also wanted to try some tall varieties of paddy which can
      compete with grass.

      Please have a look at the pictures..

      http://picasaweb.google.co.in/nandakumarpalaparambil/PaddyfarmingJune2010#

      Regards,
      Nandan
    • Ruthie Aquino
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 6, 2011
        Hi Jason,
        Barking dogs don't bite.
        Pass your way.
        Like you I think we should talk of things we know, or keep it shut.
        Cheers.
        RUTHIE