Re: [fukuoka_farming] rats, mols and orabanchaceae

  • Sumant Joshi
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
      Hi,I have heard of an unusual solution for rodent menace from some tribal people in India. You need to erect high bamboo poles with perches (20ft or so) for owls. Also see if you can have owl nesting sites around. Most of these problems arise due to loss of trees where owls perch and hunt at night.

      Warm regards,

      Sumant Joshi
      Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
        Another solution is to scatter dry leaves around and typically rodents does not like the sound created when they move around the dry leaves..I haven't tried this myself.

        Regards,
        Nandan

        From: İnci Gökmen <igokmen@...>

        To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
          Dear Inci,
          I do not have any practical experience, but this seems to be a case of
          'lack of natural predators'. So, you need to create home for the predators,
          like different canopies of trees, to host owls etc. Sumant's solution is
          also apt and may serve your needs immediately but the long term solution is
          to grow the right mix of trees.
          The orabanchaceae is a parasitic plant family as per wikipedia. Did
          fukuoka san mention about handling parasites anywhere? Will mulching help in
          this case? Just a guess.

          Best Regards
          Yugandhar

          On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:50 PM, İnci Gökmen <igokmen@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > we are doing organic vegetable production in Turkey, near Ankara.
          > May be because of global warming we have all kinds of problems in the
          > field:
          > too many rats, and mols, which harm the roots of the plants badly.
          > Also there is one kind of orabanchaceae in the garden which compete for
          > water
          > with the plant. They both die at the end. We are picking them by hand but
          > thet are growing
          > so rapidli!!
          >
          > we will be very glad if there are any suggestions which could be applied
          > safely
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > inci gokmen

        • Raju Titus
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 7, 2010
            dear friend,
            Many farmers are doing no till natural farming in India growing fruits are
            not tilling and not killing of weed are not facing any problem. All problems
            are directly related with unnatural work in farming.
            Thanks
            Raju

            On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:

            > Dear Inci,
            > I do not have any practical experience, but this seems to be a case of
            > 'lack of natural predators'. So, you need to create home for the predators,
            > like different canopies of trees, to host owls etc. Sumant's solution is
            > also apt and may serve your needs immediately but the long term solution is
            > to grow the right mix of trees.
            > The orabanchaceae is a parasitic plant family as per wikipedia. Did
            > fukuoka san mention about handling parasites anywhere? Will mulching help
            > in
            > this case? Just a guess.
            >
            > Best Regards
            > Yugandhar
            >

            > On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:50 PM, İnci Gökmen <igokmen@...<igokmen%40metu.edu.tr>>
            > wrote:
            >

            > > Hi
            > >
            > > we are doing organic vegetable production in Turkey, near Ankara.
            > > May be because of global warming we have all kinds of problems in the
            > > field:
            > > too many rats, and mols, which harm the roots of the plants badly.
            > > Also there is one kind of orabanchaceae in the garden which compete for
            > > water
            > > with the plant. They both die at the end. We are picking them by hand but
            > > thet are growing
            > > so rapidli!!
            > >
            > > we will be very glad if there are any suggestions which could be applied
            > > safely
            > >
            > > thanks
            > >
            > > inci gokmen

            Raju Titus. Hoshangabad.India.
            +919179738049.
            http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus

          • Yugandhar S
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 8, 2010
              Dear Raju Sir,
              Hope you are fine. How was your Benguluru visit and the natural farming
              program?
              Can we get some highlights, pictures, videos of the program and especially
              your talk?
              Did anyone from this group belonging to Benguluru attend the program?

              Best Regards
              Yugandhar

              On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

              > dear friend,
              > Many farmers are doing no till natural farming in India growing fruits are
              > not tilling and not killing of weed are not facing any problem. All
              > problems
              > are directly related with unnatural work in farming.
              > Thanks
              > Raju
              >

              > On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...<s.yugandhar%40gmail.com>>
              > wrote:
              >

              > > Dear Inci,
              > > I do not have any practical experience, but this seems to be a case of
              > > 'lack of natural predators'. So, you need to create home for the
              > predators,
              > > like different canopies of trees, to host owls etc. Sumant's solution is
              > > also apt and may serve your needs immediately but the long term solution
              > is
              > > to grow the right mix of trees.
              > > The orabanchaceae is a parasitic plant family as per wikipedia. Did
              > > fukuoka san mention about handling parasites anywhere? Will mulching help
              > > in
              > > this case? Just a guess.
              > >
              > > Best Regards
              > > Yugandhar
              > >

              > > On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:50 PM, İnci Gökmen <igokmen@...<igokmen%40metu.edu.tr>
              > <igokmen%40metu.edu.tr>>
              >
              > > wrote:
              > >

              > > > Hi
              > > >
              > > > we are doing organic vegetable production in Turkey, near Ankara.
              > > > May be because of global warming we have all kinds of problems in the
              > > > field:
              > > > too many rats, and mols, which harm the roots of the plants badly.
              > > > Also there is one kind of orabanchaceae in the garden which compete for
              > > > water
              > > > with the plant. They both die at the end. We are picking them by hand
              > but
              > > > thet are growing
              > > > so rapidli!!
              > > >
              > > > we will be very glad if there are any suggestions which could be
              > applied
              > > > safely
              > > >
              > > > thanks
              > > >
              > > > inci gokmen

              > --
              > Raju Titus. Hoshangabad.India.
              > +919179738049.

            • Raju Titus
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 9, 2010
                भाईजी,
                बंगलुरु ट्रिप बहुत अच्छा रहा मे रपट बना रहा हूँ ग्रुप के लिए अभी नेट की
                समस्या चल रही है. जब ठीक हो जायेगा भेजूंगा.
                raju

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 9, 2010
                  Dear Bhai Ji,
                  Congratulations on your successful trip to Bengaluru. We are waiting for
                  your report and hoping that your internet problem resolves soon.

                  Best Regards
                  Yugandhar