rats, mols and orabanchaceae

  • İnci Gökmen
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
      Hi

      we are doing organic vegetable production in Turkey, near Ankara.
      May be because of global warming we have all kinds of problems in the field:
      too many rats, and mols, which harm the roots of the plants badly.
      Also there is one kind of orabanchaceae in the garden which compete for
      water
      with the plant. They both die at the end. We are picking them by hand but
      thet are growing
      so rapidli!!

      we will be very glad if there are any suggestions which could be applied
      safely

      thanks

      inci gokmen

    • Sumant Joshi
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
        Hi,I have heard of an unusual solution for rodent menace from some tribal people in India. You need to erect high bamboo poles with perches (20ft or so) for owls. Also see if you can have owl nesting sites around. Most of these problems arise due to loss of trees where owls perch and hunt at night.

        Warm regards,

        Sumant Joshi
        Tel - 09370010424, 0253-2361161

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
          Another solution is to scatter dry leaves around and typically rodents does not like the sound created when they move around the dry leaves..I haven't tried this myself.

          Regards,
          Nandan

          From: İnci Gökmen <igokmen@...>

          To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 4, 2010
            Dear Inci,
            I do not have any practical experience, but this seems to be a case of
            'lack of natural predators'. So, you need to create home for the predators,
            like different canopies of trees, to host owls etc. Sumant's solution is
            also apt and may serve your needs immediately but the long term solution is
            to grow the right mix of trees.
            The orabanchaceae is a parasitic plant family as per wikipedia. Did
            fukuoka san mention about handling parasites anywhere? Will mulching help in
            this case? Just a guess.

            Best Regards
            Yugandhar

            On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:50 PM, İnci Gökmen <igokmen@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > we are doing organic vegetable production in Turkey, near Ankara.
            > May be because of global warming we have all kinds of problems in the
            > field:
            > too many rats, and mols, which harm the roots of the plants badly.
            > Also there is one kind of orabanchaceae in the garden which compete for
            > water
            > with the plant. They both die at the end. We are picking them by hand but
            > thet are growing
            > so rapidli!!
            >
            > we will be very glad if there are any suggestions which could be applied
            > safely
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > inci gokmen

          • Raju Titus
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 7, 2010
              dear friend,
              Many farmers are doing no till natural farming in India growing fruits are
              not tilling and not killing of weed are not facing any problem. All problems
              are directly related with unnatural work in farming.
              Thanks
              Raju

              On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...> wrote:

              > Dear Inci,
              > I do not have any practical experience, but this seems to be a case of
              > 'lack of natural predators'. So, you need to create home for the predators,
              > like different canopies of trees, to host owls etc. Sumant's solution is
              > also apt and may serve your needs immediately but the long term solution is
              > to grow the right mix of trees.
              > The orabanchaceae is a parasitic plant family as per wikipedia. Did
              > fukuoka san mention about handling parasites anywhere? Will mulching help
              > in
              > this case? Just a guess.
              >
              > Best Regards
              > Yugandhar
              >

              > On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:50 PM, İnci Gökmen <igokmen@...<igokmen%40metu.edu.tr>>
              > wrote:
              >

              > > Hi
              > >
              > > we are doing organic vegetable production in Turkey, near Ankara.
              > > May be because of global warming we have all kinds of problems in the
              > > field:
              > > too many rats, and mols, which harm the roots of the plants badly.
              > > Also there is one kind of orabanchaceae in the garden which compete for
              > > water
              > > with the plant. They both die at the end. We are picking them by hand but
              > > thet are growing
              > > so rapidli!!
              > >
              > > we will be very glad if there are any suggestions which could be applied
              > > safely
              > >
              > > thanks
              > >
              > > inci gokmen

              Raju Titus. Hoshangabad.India.
              +919179738049.
              http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus

            • Yugandhar S
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 8, 2010
                Dear Raju Sir,
                Hope you are fine. How was your Benguluru visit and the natural farming
                program?
                Can we get some highlights, pictures, videos of the program and especially
                your talk?
                Did anyone from this group belonging to Benguluru attend the program?

                Best Regards
                Yugandhar

                On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 5:48 PM, Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...> wrote:

                > dear friend,
                > Many farmers are doing no till natural farming in India growing fruits are
                > not tilling and not killing of weed are not facing any problem. All
                > problems
                > are directly related with unnatural work in farming.
                > Thanks
                > Raju
                >

                > On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Yugandhar S <s.yugandhar@...<s.yugandhar%40gmail.com>>
                > wrote:
                >

                > > Dear Inci,
                > > I do not have any practical experience, but this seems to be a case of
                > > 'lack of natural predators'. So, you need to create home for the
                > predators,
                > > like different canopies of trees, to host owls etc. Sumant's solution is
                > > also apt and may serve your needs immediately but the long term solution
                > is
                > > to grow the right mix of trees.
                > > The orabanchaceae is a parasitic plant family as per wikipedia. Did
                > > fukuoka san mention about handling parasites anywhere? Will mulching help
                > > in
                > > this case? Just a guess.
                > >
                > > Best Regards
                > > Yugandhar
                > >

                > > On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:50 PM, İnci Gökmen <igokmen@...<igokmen%40metu.edu.tr>
                > <igokmen%40metu.edu.tr>>
                >
                > > wrote:
                > >

                > > > Hi
                > > >
                > > > we are doing organic vegetable production in Turkey, near Ankara.
                > > > May be because of global warming we have all kinds of problems in the
                > > > field:
                > > > too many rats, and mols, which harm the roots of the plants badly.
                > > > Also there is one kind of orabanchaceae in the garden which compete for
                > > > water
                > > > with the plant. They both die at the end. We are picking them by hand
                > but
                > > > thet are growing
                > > > so rapidli!!
                > > >
                > > > we will be very glad if there are any suggestions which could be
                > applied
                > > > safely
                > > >
                > > > thanks
                > > >
                > > > inci gokmen

                > --
                > Raju Titus. Hoshangabad.India.
                > +919179738049.

              • Raju Titus
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 9, 2010
                  भाईजी,
                  बंगलुरु ट्रिप बहुत अच्छा रहा मे रपट बना रहा हूँ ग्रुप के लिए अभी नेट की
                  समस्या चल रही है. जब ठीक हो जायेगा भेजूंगा.
                  raju

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 9, 2010
                    Dear Bhai Ji,
                    Congratulations on your successful trip to Bengaluru. We are waiting for
                    your report and hoping that your internet problem resolves soon.

                    Best Regards
                    Yugandhar