Sukhothai Thailand and Magsaysay Foundation

  • James Douglas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2010
      Hello all!

      I am a fairly new subscriber to this list, subscribing about two
      months ago. I'm from Canada and am traveling around learning about
      farming and certain philosophies and activism that I'm interested in.
      Right now I am in India studying orcharding and doing some researcher
      for a farmer. Soon I will be heading south to study beekeeping,
      Gandhian philosophy and help a friend set up a vegetable garden (3
      separate places).

      Reading Fukuoka's The Ultimate of God Nature Fukuoka writes that there
      are two projects that have impressed him most in all of his travels.
      One is the rice areas of Sukhothai Thailand, and another is a project
      run by the Magsaysay Foundation and Mrs Aveliw in the Philippines.

      Does anyone know whether these projects still exist and what a good
      way of visiting them would be? I especially ask you because internet
      access is so limited here and I have a hard time doing my own
      research. I don't find much mention of either project in the mailing
      list archives though.

      In the Natural Way of Farming Fukuoka describes Azienda Farm near
      Turin, Italy, a 7500 acre farm practicing natural farming on a grand
      scale and also The Nelissen farm in the Netherlands as another
      example. Now I have read about the farm in Greece which someone on
      this list has been so smart to share with us (thank you!).

      My decision is that in three months I must leave India and I will
      either go to Europe or to Thailand. I essentially am able to only go
      in one direction or another before returning to North America. So I
      have to choose. If anyone could share in formation on any of these
      projects, especially the ones in SE Asia I would greatly appreciate
      it! Whether they are still active, if they welcome visitors etc.

      Cheers!
      James Douglas
      http://jameskdouglas.blogspot.com/