Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Chickens

  • Greg and Garbo
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 2010
      We have the same trouble with chickens and peacocks on our farm. To protect
      our patio garden, we used a very light and nearly invisible plastic netting
      available at Farm and Fleet and many garden shops. It is very light weight
      and can be draped over plants, of in our case held up with a few sticks. It
      is cheap and will last a few seasons, if used with care and stored over
      winter.

      The poultry avoid it and it protects the plants very well. Since it is
      nearly invisible in certain light conditions, care should be taken to make
      sure humans can see it and not trip on it.
      Greg

      On 7/28/10 1:11 PM, "Lucia" <lucia@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 09:44 -0400, Frank McAvinchey wrote:
      >
      >> > My favorite poet, Robert Frost, put it this way, "Good fences make good
      >> > neighbors". Good advise.
      >
      > I agree. putting up a fence around your property is the easiest way. not
      > cheap, depending on how large your property is. I have chickens and I
      > fence off what I don't want them to get into, like my garden. but, that
      > said, they do provide wonderful manure and composting! so I do let them
      > into the garden in the fall, when everything is harvested and it's time
      > to apply a little natural fertilizer and tilling.
      >
      > -lucia

    • Frank McAvinchey
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2010
        Aaaaaaamen!