Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Chickens

  • Lucia
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 28, 2010
      On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 09:44 -0400, Frank McAvinchey wrote:

      > My favorite poet, Robert Frost, put it this way, "Good fences make good
      > neighbors". Good advise.

      I agree. putting up a fence around your property is the easiest way. not
      cheap, depending on how large your property is. I have chickens and I
      fence off what I don't want them to get into, like my garden. but, that
      said, they do provide wonderful manure and composting! so I do let them
      into the garden in the fall, when everything is harvested and it's time
      to apply a little natural fertilizer and tilling.

      -lucia
    • Greg and Garbo
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 28, 2010
        We have the same trouble with chickens and peacocks on our farm. To protect
        our patio garden, we used a very light and nearly invisible plastic netting
        available at Farm and Fleet and many garden shops. It is very light weight
        and can be draped over plants, of in our case held up with a few sticks. It
        is cheap and will last a few seasons, if used with care and stored over
        winter.

        The poultry avoid it and it protects the plants very well. Since it is
        nearly invisible in certain light conditions, care should be taken to make
        sure humans can see it and not trip on it.
        Greg

        On 7/28/10 1:11 PM, "Lucia" <lucia@...> wrote:

        > On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 09:44 -0400, Frank McAvinchey wrote:
        >
        >> > My favorite poet, Robert Frost, put it this way, "Good fences make good
        >> > neighbors". Good advise.
        >
        > I agree. putting up a fence around your property is the easiest way. not
        > cheap, depending on how large your property is. I have chickens and I
        > fence off what I don't want them to get into, like my garden. but, that
        > said, they do provide wonderful manure and composting! so I do let them
        > into the garden in the fall, when everything is harvested and it's time
        > to apply a little natural fertilizer and tilling.
        >
        > -lucia

      • Frank McAvinchey
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 28, 2010
          Aaaaaaamen!