neem oil

  • duezingare
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2010
      we have a neem tree, with many berries.
      how do we make neem oil, cold press as with olives?
      and how do we use the leaves?
      we're trying to make a spray for plants with problems..
    • Napi Ippolito
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2010
        Dear Duezingare,

        On 7/14/10, you (duezingare <duezingare@...>) wrote:
        > we have a neem tree, with many berries.
        > how do we make neem oil, cold press as with olives?
        > and how do we use the leaves?
        > we're trying to make a spray for plants with problems..

        Many articles come up by putting "neem oil" or "making neem oil" into Google.

        According to:

        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neem_oil>

        Methods of extraction

        The method of processing is likely to affect the composition of the
        oil, since the methods used, such as pressing (expelling) or solvent
        extraction are unlikely to remove exactly the same mix of components
        in the same proportions. The neem oil yield that can be obtained from
        neem seed kernels also varies widely in literature from 25% to 45%.
        The oil can be obtained through pressing (crushing) of the seed kernel
        both through cold pressing or through a process incorporating
        temperature controls.
        Neem seed oil can also be obtained by solvent extraction of the neem
        seed, fruit, oil, cake or kernel. A large industry in India extracts
        the oil remaining in the seed cake using hexane. This
        solvent-extracted oil is of a lower quality as compared to the cold
        pressed oil and is mostly used for soap manufacturing. Neem cake is a
        by-product obtained in the solvent extraction process for neem oil.

        Best wishes for finding more links to research about using your neem tree.

        Peace,
        Napi, Virginia, USA
      • Hank Beckmeyer
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 15, 2010
          One of the central tenants of Fukuoka's philosophy is NO pesticides.

          Hank Beckmeyer
          La Clarine Farm