Re: [fukuoka_farming] Paddy farming in weeds

  • Nandan Palaparambil
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 12, 2010
      Rajuji,

      My intention is to reduce tilling (this was missing in Fukoka san's statement), weeding, composting gradually as mentioned by Fukuoka san.

      If I were able to get rid of these now, I would have saved around 1500/- rupees. But unfortunately I couldn't avoid tilling, weeding,composting this time, otherwise I may not have any food for the next reason.

      Regards,
      Nandan

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 12, 2010
        To say your paddy is 60 cents is a non-sequiter. 60 cents is 6/10 of a
        dollar not something to do with land.

        What kind of grass is this that you are trying to get rid of? Is this a
        low growing lawn grass or 8 foot tall jungle grass? Is it a knotty
        running grass with rhizomes that run underdround or does it only spread
        itself by seed? If the ground is hard then you might need to plow deeply
        to get a crop and release the fertility of the soil in which case I
        would have plowed the grass in and planted a cover crop immediately to
        suppress weed growth and provide additional organic matter.

        Moving from one type of cultivation to another is a transition process
        and the steps taken are unique to each site and clime. If you can flood
        your paddy at will, then flood it long enough to suppress weeds while
        rice is getting established but not long enough to kill clover or some
        other legume that is fixing nitrogen and suppressing weed growth. The
        goal is to keep something growing at all times so the organic material
        starts the natural soil building process which deposits organic matter
        on top of the soil, creating new soil, in a continuous process.

        The state of mind mentioned means to be aware of the natural tools at
        your disposal and use them to help you without fighting against the the
        way things are. If you have a lot of pests then it is because you grew a
        lot of pests. Try to understand how you did that if you wanted a
        different result.

        Make sure that you are building complete ecosystems. Remember that
        Fukuoka always employed animals to help keep the bugs and weeds down and
        to clean up the harvest so there was a more rapid breakdown of organic
        matter making planting and growing crops easier and more productive.

        Tom Gibson
        www.camaspermaculture.org <http://www.camaspermaculture.org>
        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Nandan" <p_k_nandanan@...>
        wrote:

        > My paddy field is around 60 cents and it has not been cultivated for
        the last 2 years. Grass has been growing for the last 2 years and
        nothing was done on the field. Grass is too thick and so cleared it
        completely and moved it to one side and is planning to till it lightly
        and then start the cultivation. The grass is piled up on one side and is
        planning to put some cow dung so that it will decompose faster and then
        will spread it on the field once again..

        > While reading the one straw revolution, hit on the following statement
        ..

        > "In making the transition to this kind of farming, some weeding,
        composting or pruning may be necessary at first, but these measures
        should be gradually reduced each year. Ultimately, it is not the growing
        technique which is the most important factor, but rather the state of
        mind of the farmer"..

        > the last sentence is not very clear here..
        >
        > Hope that next time, I may be able to avoid the tilling..Any data in
        terms of time frame to get into complete no-till paddy farming?

        > Regards,
        > Nandan

      • Nandan Palaparambil
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 12, 2010
          In India cent is a measure of area, 100 cent being 1 acre, forgot that communicating with the global community...

          This grass is a mixture of many varieties...there is crab grass, touch-me-not and lot more..In two years of non-cultivation, nature started with some tree saplings also !!!

          Under the grass I could see the ground is soft, so the grass growth has improved the land, but to start the cultivation, grass is a problem..

          It is a news to me that Fukuoka san also used animals to keep the weeds down. This happened in this field also, once or twice some body let loose some sheep and the care taker person of my farm was telling me that helped to control the grass.

          Regards,
          Nandan

          wrote:

          > My paddy field is around 60 cents and it has not been cultivated for
          the last 2 years. Grass has been growing for the last 2 years and
          nothing was done on the field. Grass is too thick and so cleared it
          completely and moved it to one side and is planning to till it lightly
          and then start the cultivation. The grass is piled up on one side and is
          planning to put some cow dung so that it will decompose faster and then
          will spread it on the field once again..

          > While reading the one straw revolution, hit on the following statement
          ..

          > "In making the transition to this kind of farming, some weeding,
          composting or pruning may be necessary at first, but these measures
          should be gradually reduced each year. Ultimately, it is not the growing
          technique which is the most important factor, but rather the state of
          mind of the farmer"..

          > the last sentence is not very clear here..
          >
          > Hope that next time, I may be able to avoid the tilling..Any data in
          terms of time frame to get into complete no-till paddy farming?

          > Regards,
          > Nandan

        • Tom Gibson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 15, 2010
            Sheep will all but kill the grass if left to overgraze.

            Tom

            <http://www.camaspermaculture.org/> www.camaspermaculture.org