Re: [fukuoka_farming] Paddy farming in weeds

  • Raju Titus
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 11, 2010
      Dear Nandan,
      I found that grass problem is directly related with tilling ,grazing,
      burning or cutting for animals. If you wont allow any one of this reason
      grass will go automatically .But will never go by tilling and composting
      rather will become more strong. Best way is mulching and growing alternative
      ground cover.
      Raju

      --
      Raju Titus. Hoshangabad.India.
      +919179738049.

    • Nandan Palaparambil
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 12, 2010
        Thanks Chris for the explanation.

        I understand that Fukuoka san was able to produce food with little interference, but I am trying to get the initial struggles and since Fukuoka san himself tells that weeding, composting and pruning may be required in the initial days..

        Grass is thick so even if I cut, mulch but seeds may not touch the ground and hence may not germinate. Since it is grain and we have to plant in big numbers, individual managing of plants is not easy.

        At the same time in fruit trees, banana,tapioca, I am able to use no-till, just cut and mulch the weeds.

        Regards,
        Nandan

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 12, 2010
          Rajuji,

          My intention is to reduce tilling (this was missing in Fukoka san's statement), weeding, composting gradually as mentioned by Fukuoka san.

          If I were able to get rid of these now, I would have saved around 1500/- rupees. But unfortunately I couldn't avoid tilling, weeding,composting this time, otherwise I may not have any food for the next reason.

          --
          Raju Titus. Hoshangabad.India.
          +919179738049.
          http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus

        • Tom Gibson
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 12, 2010
            To say your paddy is 60 cents is a non-sequiter. 60 cents is 6/10 of a
            dollar not something to do with land.

            What kind of grass is this that you are trying to get rid of? Is this a
            low growing lawn grass or 8 foot tall jungle grass? Is it a knotty
            running grass with rhizomes that run underdround or does it only spread
            itself by seed? If the ground is hard then you might need to plow deeply
            to get a crop and release the fertility of the soil in which case I
            would have plowed the grass in and planted a cover crop immediately to
            suppress weed growth and provide additional organic matter.

            Moving from one type of cultivation to another is a transition process
            and the steps taken are unique to each site and clime. If you can flood
            your paddy at will, then flood it long enough to suppress weeds while
            rice is getting established but not long enough to kill clover or some
            other legume that is fixing nitrogen and suppressing weed growth. The
            goal is to keep something growing at all times so the organic material
            starts the natural soil building process which deposits organic matter
            on top of the soil, creating new soil, in a continuous process.

            The state of mind mentioned means to be aware of the natural tools at
            your disposal and use them to help you without fighting against the the
            way things are. If you have a lot of pests then it is because you grew a
            lot of pests. Try to understand how you did that if you wanted a
            different result.

            Make sure that you are building complete ecosystems. Remember that
            Fukuoka always employed animals to help keep the bugs and weeds down and
            to clean up the harvest so there was a more rapid breakdown of organic
            matter making planting and growing crops easier and more productive.

            Tom Gibson
            www.camaspermaculture.org <http://www.camaspermaculture.org>
            --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Nandan" <p_k_nandanan@...>
            wrote:

            > My paddy field is around 60 cents and it has not been cultivated for
            the last 2 years. Grass has been growing for the last 2 years and
            nothing was done on the field. Grass is too thick and so cleared it
            completely and moved it to one side and is planning to till it lightly
            and then start the cultivation. The grass is piled up on one side and is
            planning to put some cow dung so that it will decompose faster and then
            will spread it on the field once again..

            > While reading the one straw revolution, hit on the following statement
            ..

            > "In making the transition to this kind of farming, some weeding,
            composting or pruning may be necessary at first, but these measures
            should be gradually reduced each year. Ultimately, it is not the growing
            technique which is the most important factor, but rather the state of
            mind of the farmer"..

            > the last sentence is not very clear here..
            >
            > Hope that next time, I may be able to avoid the tilling..Any data in
            terms of time frame to get into complete no-till paddy farming?

            > Regards,
            > Nandan

          • Nandan Palaparambil
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 12, 2010
              In India cent is a measure of area, 100 cent being 1 acre, forgot that communicating with the global community...

              This grass is a mixture of many varieties...there is crab grass, touch-me-not and lot more..In two years of non-cultivation, nature started with some tree saplings also !!!

              Under the grass I could see the ground is soft, so the grass growth has improved the land, but to start the cultivation, grass is a problem..

              It is a news to me that Fukuoka san also used animals to keep the weeds down. This happened in this field also, once or twice some body let loose some sheep and the care taker person of my farm was telling me that helped to control the grass.

              Regards,
              Nandan

              wrote:

              > My paddy field is around 60 cents and it has not been cultivated for
              the last 2 years. Grass has been growing for the last 2 years and
              nothing was done on the field. Grass is too thick and so cleared it
              completely and moved it to one side and is planning to till it lightly
              and then start the cultivation. The grass is piled up on one side and is
              planning to put some cow dung so that it will decompose faster and then
              will spread it on the field once again..

              > While reading the one straw revolution, hit on the following statement
              ..

              > "In making the transition to this kind of farming, some weeding,
              composting or pruning may be necessary at first, but these measures
              should be gradually reduced each year. Ultimately, it is not the growing
              technique which is the most important factor, but rather the state of
              mind of the farmer"..

              > the last sentence is not very clear here..
              >
              > Hope that next time, I may be able to avoid the tilling..Any data in
              terms of time frame to get into complete no-till paddy farming?

              > Regards,
              > Nandan

            • Tom Gibson
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 15, 2010
                Sheep will all but kill the grass if left to overgraze.

                Tom

                <http://www.camaspermaculture.org/> www.camaspermaculture.org