Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re:Are 10 acres too large for a single person?

  • Frank McAvinchey
    Message 1 of 12 , May 30, 2010
      That's good, sound advise, Tom. Good work!

      Frank

      On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Tom Gibson <camaspermaculture@...>wrote:

> [...]
      > the different types of fruit pests. Ruminant livestock might not be
      > something you want to handle but are the best natural way to improve the
      > structure and fertility of the soil if you manage and pasture them
      > properly.
      > It is important to keep them moving every day or two so they reduce biomass
      > without harming it's ability to grow back and provide another round of
      > feed.
      > Improved pasture can later be put into rotation to grow vegetables or other
      > crops. Permaculture techniques where you have communities of plants
      > including more permanent upper story plants like fruit and nut trees
      > instead
      > of monoculture production were described by Fukuoka on his farm. Ten acres
      > is a more realistic scale to work on if you are going to have complete
      > communities of plants and animals. You may only be intensively cultivating
      > up to an acre per person that you have to work it, but the rest of the land
      > can contribute to your success and provide additional resources to every
      > aspect of the farm.
      >
      > You might find that 1 acre of prime farmland is more productive than 10
      > acres of rocks, brush or heavily forested land. Make sure that what you
      > want
      > to do is possible on the land you purchase and you can write that into the
      > terms of an offer to buy. I would send a soil sample in before making a
      > decision. Check with the local government agriculture authority and as many
      > other resource as possible, including neighbors, to see if you really ought
      > to be buying that land for the purpose you want it for. The quality and
      > quantity of water and whether you have rights to use more than is available
      > to a household is something to check on. Are you just growing for yourself
      > or as a business? If it is a business then you will need to hire help at
      > times. Many people get apprentices to come live with them to help but make
      > sure that this resource is something that you have access to and feel
      > comfortable with.
      >
      > Going from land to a farm that utilizes a sophisticated mirroring of nature
      > isn't something that happens overnight. It is part of a transition process.
      > In order to support yourself on the land you have to first get some basic
      > skills in place and it probably means that you are doing things like buying
      > fertilizer. As you continue to develop your resources you will find that
      > you
      > have to buy less and less and you have more and more to trade and sell.
      > Start out with simple things that you can do now and continuously work to
      > improve upon it. You will get better yields by having a small garden that
      > you can take good care of than a big one where everything grows wild. Find
      > out what works best for you and expand upon it. I did trials for three
      > years
      > before I expanded into making every part of my land work.

    • Raju Titus
      Message 2 of 12 , May 31, 2010
        Dear friend,
        Actually living in the garden without the use of electricity and petroleum
        is different from the living in city where our demand of money is more than
        the natural food and shelter. All of my 10 acre is now in under Subabul
        cover and small land may be quarter to half in under Grain, vegetables, and
        fruits. What i want to say is that it very difficult to take 100% care of
        big area. In N.F. always production is in increasing manner if you will take
        100% proper care. Fukuoka was getting one tone grain/quarter acre/ season.
        This is possible when we can take care of our land in proper manner. And
        this is possible only with small holding.
        Raju

        http://picasaweb.google.com/rajuktitus

        Message 3 of 12 , May 31, 2010
          Hi,

          If you are Chinese and are thinking of farming in Canada, I wonder if you have read this book? (See the link below)

          "Farmers of Forty Centuries" is a classic account of chinese horticulture/agriculture around 1900, as seen through Western eyes. One Eighty year old man was reported as making a living from one eight of an acre -the country people at that time in China had to produce crops from many small areas, and as the global population expands I suspect that urban Western as well as urban Chinese may have a lot to learn from them.

          There is probably not much about humus conservstion and fertility management that they did not know, though the Fukouaka methods are very different to traditional ones in some ways there is also a lot in common with time tested ways.

          regards,

          Alan

          link here to the book online, but reading on paper is more friendly and it helos keep you loacal libary going! - http://www.earthlypursuits.com/FarmFC/FFC/F_%20H_%20King%20Farmers%20of%20Forty%20Centuries--Introduction.htm

          From: Raju Titus <rajuktitus@...>

          Subject: Re: [fukuoka_farming] Are 10 acres too large for a single person?

          To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com

          Date: Sunday, May 30, 2010, 10:30 AM