Re: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Natural Farming Center of Greece

  • Dimitris
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 8, 2010
      It would be great to see you Pietro and you are definitely welcome. You
      can visit Panos Manikis' natural farming center in Northern Greece, near
      Edessa if you wish and speak with him. It would give you great insight
      on how natural farming works. Panos was a student of Fukuoka and worked
      with him in many reforestation projects around the world for many
      years. If you have specific dates in mind, let me know, so I can let
      him know when you are coming, to make sure he will be there. Also you
      should know that we are holding our international meeting from 15-30th
      of August there, in the natural farming center, where people from all
      over the world meet and learn how to make clay balls for farms and for
      reforestations and have discussions.

      It may be better for you, if you come before July 4th, to come to
      Thessaloniki airport, since Edessa is very close to there. Otherwise
      you may have to take the train from Athens to Edessa which is about 6-7
      hours ride.

      Anyway, you don't need to make special arrangements. Panos is very open
      and wants to pass on the information about natural farming. He doesn't
      ever get paid for it. It is too important for him to make money out of
      it. If you have a tent and a sleeping bag that would help, but we can
      make arrangements for that as well. I am not sure what the available
      space will be at the time, since many people tend to visit the center
      and some times the only way to accommodate is putting up a tent. If
      there is space you can stay at the house, but that is not always
      available. The weather will be hot at the time so sleeping outside is
      not a problem.

      Let me know if you have any other questions of if you need anything.
      Dimitris

      Pietro wrote:

      > Dear Dimitris,
      > All that you are writing is very interesting.
      >
      > My name is Pietro, and I have a bit of land (half an hectare) in
      > Portugal, where I would like to plant using fukuoka's method. I am
      > already doing some tests with some seed balls made with a Cement
      > mixer. I am right now in Italy, and will come to Greece this summer in
      > July. I have a workshop in July in Crete starting from the 5th (I
      > might need to be there from the 4th). Maybe I could come to Greece a
      > few days before and visit the community. Would that be possible? In
      > case what should I do to make sure I am welcome there?
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Pietro
      >

      > __
    • Pietro
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 12, 2010
        Hello Dimitris,
        Thank you very much.

        Sorry if I could only answer you properly. I am travelling around, and for the most part have no internet.

        In think i will try to come around the end of june. Somwhere between the 28-30 of june. I should have both a sleeping back, and probably a bivi bag as well (sort of tiny tent the size of a sleeping bag. If I can lrave the backpack in the house that might be all I need. Alternatively I could look for an hostel, or couchsurf. In short please do not worry for the accomodation, I am sure we will figure out something.
        I am more concerned with my next trip to Crete. I need to be in Crete by the 4th of July (no reference the the US holiday). it looks like Edessa is on the other side of Greece, and my experience with Greece internal transport system is that it's not the most efficient in the world. Should i go down by rail + boat? Is the a ferry that goes all the way from Thessaloniki to Crete?

        I hope you will be in Edessa too, so we can meet.

        I am not sure what the situation will be in August. I know I have a conference on the 27th of August in switzerland. So I know I cannot come for the whole period. But maybe I could come for some... I think I shall decide later, as I am already traveliing too mcuh this summer...

        Thanks, again,
        Pietro

        --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Dimitris <shinos@...> wrote:

        > It would be great to see you Pietro and you are definitely welcome. You
        > can visit Panos Manikis' natural farming center in Northern Greece, near
        > Edessa if you wish and speak with him. It would give you great insight
        > on how natural farming works. Panos was a student of Fukuoka and worked
        > with him in many reforestation projects around the world for many
        > years. If you have specific dates in mind, let me know, so I can let
        > him know when you are coming, to make sure he will be there. Also you
        > should know that we are holding our international meeting from 15-30th
        > of August there, in the natural farming center, where people from all
        > over the world meet and learn how to make clay balls for farms and for
        > reforestations and have discussions.
        >
        > It may be better for you, if you come before July 4th, to come to
        > Thessaloniki airport, since Edessa is very close to there. Otherwise
        > you may have to take the train from Athens to Edessa which is about 6-7
        > hours ride.
        >
        > Anyway, you don't need to make special arrangements. Panos is very open
        > and wants to pass on the information about natural farming. He doesn't
        > ever get paid for it. It is too important for him to make money out of
        > it. If you have a tent and a sleeping bag that would help, but we can
        > make arrangements for that as well. I am not sure what the available
        > space will be at the time, since many people tend to visit the center
        > and some times the only way to accommodate is putting up a tent. If
        > there is space you can stay at the house, but that is not always
        > available. The weather will be hot at the time so sleeping outside is
        > not a problem.
        >
        > Let me know if you have any other questions of if you need anything.
        > Dimitris
        >
        > Pietro wrote:
        > >

        > > Dear Dimitris,
        > > All that you are writing is very interesting.
        > >
        > > My name is Pietro, and I have a bit of land (half an hectare) in
        > > Portugal, where I would like to plant using fukuoka's method. I am
        > > already doing some tests with some seed balls made with a Cement
        > > mixer. I am right now in Italy, and will come to Greece this summer in
        > > July. I have a workshop in July in Crete starting from the 5th (I
        > > might need to be there from the 4th). Maybe I could come to Greece a
        > > few days before and visit the community. Would that be possible? In
        > > case what should I do to make sure I am welcome there?
        > >
        > > Cheers,
        > > Pietro
        > >

        > > __

      • Leonora Jakovljevic
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 29, 2010
          Dear Dimitris.

          My name is Leonora. I come from Slovenia.
          My interest for NF was born last year during the workshop on Synergic
          Garden
          in Calabria which was directed by Antonio de Falco, Emilia Hazelip
          student.
          On this workshop was mentioned also Panos Manikis as a Fukuoka's
          student and his acquaintance.

          I'm more and more in NF and Permaculture until then. I become an
          active
          volunteer of non profit Slovenian organization for education on
          ecological producing food two month ago.
          Few weeks ago I decided to contact Panos to learn more about his way
          of NF method and what a coincidence you showed up. I'm also interested
          to take a part
          in Panos project (Simultaneous Seeding) or if would be possible to
          organize a small group
          for simultaneous seeding 2011 in Slovenia.

          I would like to come to visit, to work, to practise,... NF on Panos
          farm this summer.
          I was thinking to come onset of August and to stay for international
          meeting from 15-30 of August.
          Do you think it would be practicable?
          Should I call and ask Panos directly?

          Looking forward hearing from you,
          leonora

        • Dimitris
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
            Hi Leonora. You are welcome to come and stay at the Natural Farming
            Center with Panos for as long as you like. We accept volunteers from
            April 15 until September 15 so any time between those dates are fine.
            Just let us know when you want to come. This year we are not having an
            official international meeting. We are going to get together and make
            clay-balls for reforestation projects and for farms. If you are
            interested in Natural Farming, Panos is a great person to learn from.
            He knows a lot.

            We have a place that holds up to 4 volunteers where you can stay.
            Depending on how many volunteers we have at the time, there is also the
            option on staying in a tent with a sleeping bag. You don't have to
            worry about food.

            I will talk to Panos about doing a simultaneous seeding in Slovenia as
            well. I don't know how it will work out, as most of us will be in South
            America, but if you come at the center and learn how to make clay-balls,
            you could organize it in Slovenia. It is not very hard to make
            clay-balls. Once you learn the technique, you will see it is very easy.

            Panos phone number is +30 23810-27312. You can contact him from
            7:00am-9:00am or from 7:00pm-9:00pm if you like.
            Let me know when you know the dates you want to come. It would be best
            if you are coming by airplane to come to Thessaloniki and from there to
            take the train to Edessa. Panos can pick you up from Edessa. His farm
            is just minutes from Edessa in Klisohori, a small village. You can also
            visit our web site at www.naturalfarming.eu for more information and to
            view pictures.

            Thanks for your interest and hope to see you soon
            Dimitris

            Leonora Jakovljevic wrote:

            > Dear Dimitris.
            >
            > My name is Leonora. I come from Slovenia.
            > My interest for NF was born last year during the workshop on Synergic
            > Garden
            > in Calabria which was directed by Antonio de Falco, Emilia Hazelip
            > student.
            > On this workshop was mentioned also Panos Manikis as a Fukuoka's
            > student and his acquaintance.
            >
            > I'm more and more in NF and Permaculture until then. I become an
            > active
            > volunteer of non profit Slovenian organization for education on
            > ecological producing food two month ago.
            > Few weeks ago I decided to contact Panos to learn more about his way
            > of NF method and what a coincidence you showed up. I'm also interested
            > to take a part
            > in Panos project (Simultaneous Seeding) or if would be possible to
            > organize a small group
            > for simultaneous seeding 2011 in Slovenia.
            >
            > I would like to come to visit, to work, to practise,... NF on Panos
            > farm this summer.
            > I was thinking to come onset of August and to stay for international
            > meeting from 15-30 of August.
            > Do you think it would be practicable?
            > Should I call and ask Panos directly?
            >
            > Looking forward hearing from you,
            > leonora
            >
            > ,_._,___
          • Pietro
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
              I just left Panos' farm this morning.

              The farm is really beautiful, and Panos looks like an old greek Taoist. The son of Lao Tzu and Hera.

              I could not convince him to accept any offer for the time I stayed there. Ate his food and used his place. He explained me in detail how to make seed balls. Also extra informations, and how to adapt all this to my local conditions. Then when I left he gave me some seeds and asked me to sow them(, please). This simple act changed everything so now it looked like I was making him a favor. Hiding the biggest favor he has been doing for me those days.

              Please go. He is willing to teach, and has things to teach.

            • Vargan
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 6, 2010
                Friends,
                please do the teaching videos of your trips, meetings and teaching workshops!! Not everyone can afford to go to Panos and other teachers, but almost everyone can download the movie through the Internet nowadays.
                Amateur camcorders and amateur shooting can do the great job for us.

                Providing the native language subtitles for such videos (or a simple transcript of an audio data into the simple text file) will greatly help the volunteer translators in order to translate a movie to the other languages.

                Regards,
                Vargan
                Rusia

                --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Pietro" <2009@...> wrote:

                > I just left Panos' farm this morning.
                >
                > The farm is really beautiful, and Panos looks like an old greek Taoist. The son of Lao Tzu and Hera.
                >
                > I could not convince him to accept any offer for the time I stayed there. Ate his food and used his place. He explained me in detail how to make seed balls. Also extra informations, and how to adapt all this to my local conditions. Then when I left he gave me some seeds and asked me to sow them(, please). This simple act changed everything so now it looked like I was making him a favor. Hiding the biggest favor he has been doing for me those days.
                >
                > Please go. He is willing to teach, and has things to teach.
                >
                > Pietro

              • Jason Stewart
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 8 7:47 PM
                  ...Just came across this, not bad!, cute & sweet, 1 year old Greek newspaper
                  article on this subject...:
                  "
                  BASED OUT of Klisochori, in Edessa, Panagiotis Manikis currently...spreading the
                  word on “natural farming”, a method as old as the mountains and first
                  implemented by nature herself.
                  "
                  See: -> http://www.athensnews.gr/issue/13385/21666
                  .
                  Searching, I don't find it posted here in our group, yet—even as the article
                  replied below interests me more.
                  .
                  Panayiotis/Panagiotis—i'm not sure which English–transliteration is better for
                  his name which certainly is correctly spelled in Greek—i had been thinking it
                  was the former English–transliteration with the y—Now I see the Greek people
                  writing here have it Panagiotis—so that's what i'll write—until advised... .
                  .
                  Biggest best wishes to all Japanese, all cricket fans, and to all,
                  .
                  Jason Stewart
                  –busy in south eastern Oz.
                  PS. no April fools jokes in this above link.