Re: Natural Farming Center of Greece

  • Pietro
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 7, 2010
      Dear Dimitris,
      All that you are writing is very interesting.

      My name is Pietro, and I have a bit of land (half an hectare) in Portugal, where I would like to plant using fukuoka's method. I am already doing some tests with some seed balls made with a Cement mixer. I am right now in Italy, and will come to Greece this summer in July. I have a workshop in July in Crete starting from the 5th (I might need to be there from the 4th). Maybe I could come to Greece a few days before and visit the community. Would that be possible? In case what should I do to make sure I am welcome there?

      Cheers,
      Pietro

      --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, Dimitris <shinos@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > accumulate moisture from which they get watered. When you plant with
      > seed balls, you have to cut the grass in place after, so that the new
      > plants can have a chance to compete with the already established plants.
      >
      > In our reforestation projects, we mix seeds from forest trees with
      > grasses, bushes and other plants. We sometimes use a mixture of 30-40
      > different seeds in our seed balls. That way we create diversity and we
      > allow nature to choose what grows where. The trees usually take about a
      > year before they spring. Meanwhile various grasses, bushes and other
      > plants have already come up to stop any erosion and to cover the barren
      > land. By the time the trees come out, they are surrounded by grasses
      > that hide them initially from the hot sun and the cold. Trees take
      > about three years to get established, so the grasses protect them from
      > extreme climates until their roots grow enough to be self sufficient.
      >
      > Now I don't know what kind of grasses you have in the land you are
      > talking about. Some grasses are very invasive so if you want to minimize
      > them, you have to cut the grasses 2-3 times during the year before you
      > sow seedballs, to weaken them. It all depends on what kind of grasses
      > they are. If they are wild burley or things like that, they are not a
      > problem. You can just sow the seed balls and then cut the grass in
      > place and they will do fine.
      >
      > You may want to read some of Fukuoka's books if you haven't already, to
      > understand the philosophy behind the idea of seedballs. There is an
      > excellent e-library where you can get many of his books for a small
      > donation fee. You can also get them for free if you can't afford it,
      > but the guy has spent hours and hours putting this amazing library
      > together and would help with the cost. Check it out, it has an amazing
      > wealth of information from books that are not even in print anymore.
      > Anything from farming to health. I would recommend it to anyone.
      > http://www.soilandhealth.org/ (This is a free public library offering
      > full-texts of books on alternative agriculture, holistic health,
      > longevity, self-sufficient living, personal and spiritual development)
      >
      > Hope this helps a little.
      > Regards
      > Dimitris
      >

      > Vargan wrote:
      > >

      > > Hi, Dimitris!
      > > Very interesting. I saw videos about Panos Manikis's garden at
      > > youtube.com, and was looking any information about him and his work in
      > > English, because I do not speak Greek.
      > >
      > > Was those exellent garden at the videos planted with seed balls only???
      > >
      > > I live at the Urals in Rusia. We have enough of rain water in the
      > > summer and all waste lands are occupied with grasses. How does the
      > > seed balls method work if you throw seed balls in the dense grass? I
      > > saw panos Will the fruit tree seed srvive in competition with the grass?
      > >
      > > I'll appreciate any other information about this technology and

    • Dimitris
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 8, 2010
        It would be great to see you Pietro and you are definitely welcome. You
        can visit Panos Manikis' natural farming center in Northern Greece, near
        Edessa if you wish and speak with him. It would give you great insight
        on how natural farming works. Panos was a student of Fukuoka and worked
        with him in many reforestation projects around the world for many
        years. If you have specific dates in mind, let me know, so I can let
        him know when you are coming, to make sure he will be there. Also you
        should know that we are holding our international meeting from 15-30th
        of August there, in the natural farming center, where people from all
        over the world meet and learn how to make clay balls for farms and for
        reforestations and have discussions.

        It may be better for you, if you come before July 4th, to come to
        Thessaloniki airport, since Edessa is very close to there. Otherwise
        you may have to take the train from Athens to Edessa which is about 6-7
        hours ride.

        Anyway, you don't need to make special arrangements. Panos is very open
        and wants to pass on the information about natural farming. He doesn't
        ever get paid for it. It is too important for him to make money out of
        it. If you have a tent and a sleeping bag that would help, but we can
        make arrangements for that as well. I am not sure what the available
        space will be at the time, since many people tend to visit the center
        and some times the only way to accommodate is putting up a tent. If
        there is space you can stay at the house, but that is not always
        available. The weather will be hot at the time so sleeping outside is
        not a problem.

        Let me know if you have any other questions of if you need anything.
        Dimitris

        Pietro wrote:

        > Dear Dimitris,
        > All that you are writing is very interesting.
        >
        > My name is Pietro, and I have a bit of land (half an hectare) in
        > Portugal, where I would like to plant using fukuoka's method. I am
        > already doing some tests with some seed balls made with a Cement
        > mixer. I am right now in Italy, and will come to Greece this summer in
        > July. I have a workshop in July in Crete starting from the 5th (I
        > might need to be there from the 4th). Maybe I could come to Greece a
        > few days before and visit the community. Would that be possible? In
        > case what should I do to make sure I am welcome there?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Pietro
        >

        > __
      • Pietro
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 12, 2010
          Hello Dimitris,
          Thank you very much.

          Sorry if I could only answer you properly. I am travelling around, and for the most part have no internet.

          In think i will try to come around the end of june. Somwhere between the 28-30 of june. I should have both a sleeping back, and probably a bivi bag as well (sort of tiny tent the size of a sleeping bag. If I can lrave the backpack in the house that might be all I need. Alternatively I could look for an hostel, or couchsurf. In short please do not worry for the accomodation, I am sure we will figure out something.
          I am more concerned with my next trip to Crete. I need to be in Crete by the 4th of July (no reference the the US holiday). it looks like Edessa is on the other side of Greece, and my experience with Greece internal transport system is that it's not the most efficient in the world. Should i go down by rail + boat? Is the a ferry that goes all the way from Thessaloniki to Crete?

          I hope you will be in Edessa too, so we can meet.

          I am not sure what the situation will be in August. I know I have a conference on the 27th of August in switzerland. So I know I cannot come for the whole period. But maybe I could come for some... I think I shall decide later, as I am already traveliing too mcuh this summer...

          Thanks, again,

        • Leonora Jakovljevic
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 29, 2010
            Dear Dimitris.

            My name is Leonora. I come from Slovenia.
            My interest for NF was born last year during the workshop on Synergic
            Garden
            in Calabria which was directed by Antonio de Falco, Emilia Hazelip
            student.
            On this workshop was mentioned also Panos Manikis as a Fukuoka's
            student and his acquaintance.

            I'm more and more in NF and Permaculture until then. I become an
            active
            volunteer of non profit Slovenian organization for education on
            ecological producing food two month ago.
            Few weeks ago I decided to contact Panos to learn more about his way
            of NF method and what a coincidence you showed up. I'm also interested
            to take a part
            in Panos project (Simultaneous Seeding) or if would be possible to
            organize a small group
            for simultaneous seeding 2011 in Slovenia.

            I would like to come to visit, to work, to practise,... NF on Panos
            farm this summer.
            I was thinking to come onset of August and to stay for international
            meeting from 15-30 of August.
            Do you think it would be practicable?
            Should I call and ask Panos directly?

            Looking forward hearing from you,
            leonora

          • Dimitris
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
              Hi Leonora. You are welcome to come and stay at the Natural Farming
              Center with Panos for as long as you like. We accept volunteers from
              April 15 until September 15 so any time between those dates are fine.
              Just let us know when you want to come. This year we are not having an
              official international meeting. We are going to get together and make
              clay-balls for reforestation projects and for farms. If you are
              interested in Natural Farming, Panos is a great person to learn from.
              He knows a lot.

              We have a place that holds up to 4 volunteers where you can stay.
              Depending on how many volunteers we have at the time, there is also the
              option on staying in a tent with a sleeping bag. You don't have to
              worry about food.

              I will talk to Panos about doing a simultaneous seeding in Slovenia as
              well. I don't know how it will work out, as most of us will be in South
              America, but if you come at the center and learn how to make clay-balls,
              you could organize it in Slovenia. It is not very hard to make
              clay-balls. Once you learn the technique, you will see it is very easy.

              Panos phone number is +30 23810-27312. You can contact him from
              7:00am-9:00am or from 7:00pm-9:00pm if you like.
              Let me know when you know the dates you want to come. It would be best
              if you are coming by airplane to come to Thessaloniki and from there to
              take the train to Edessa. Panos can pick you up from Edessa. His farm
              is just minutes from Edessa in Klisohori, a small village. You can also
              visit our web site at www.naturalfarming.eu for more information and to
              view pictures.

              Thanks for your interest and hope to see you soon
              Dimitris

              Leonora Jakovljevic wrote:

              > Dear Dimitris.
              >
              > My name is Leonora. I come from Slovenia.
              > My interest for NF was born last year during the workshop on Synergic
              > Garden
              > in Calabria which was directed by Antonio de Falco, Emilia Hazelip
              > student.
              > On this workshop was mentioned also Panos Manikis as a Fukuoka's
              > student and his acquaintance.
              >
              > I'm more and more in NF and Permaculture until then. I become an
              > active
              > volunteer of non profit Slovenian organization for education on
              > ecological producing food two month ago.
              > Few weeks ago I decided to contact Panos to learn more about his way
              > of NF method and what a coincidence you showed up. I'm also interested
              > to take a part
              > in Panos project (Simultaneous Seeding) or if would be possible to
              > organize a small group
              > for simultaneous seeding 2011 in Slovenia.
              >
              > I would like to come to visit, to work, to practise,... NF on Panos
              > farm this summer.
              > I was thinking to come onset of August and to stay for international
              > meeting from 15-30 of August.
              > Do you think it would be practicable?
              > Should I call and ask Panos directly?
              >
              > Looking forward hearing from you,
              > leonora
              >
              > ,_._,___
            • Pietro
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
                I just left Panos' farm this morning.

                The farm is really beautiful, and Panos looks like an old greek Taoist. The son of Lao Tzu and Hera.

                I could not convince him to accept any offer for the time I stayed there. Ate his food and used his place. He explained me in detail how to make seed balls. Also extra informations, and how to adapt all this to my local conditions. Then when I left he gave me some seeds and asked me to sow them(, please). This simple act changed everything so now it looked like I was making him a favor. Hiding the biggest favor he has been doing for me those days.

                Please go. He is willing to teach, and has things to teach.

              • Vargan
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 6, 2010
                  Friends,
                  please do the teaching videos of your trips, meetings and teaching workshops!! Not everyone can afford to go to Panos and other teachers, but almost everyone can download the movie through the Internet nowadays.
                  Amateur camcorders and amateur shooting can do the great job for us.

                  Providing the native language subtitles for such videos (or a simple transcript of an audio data into the simple text file) will greatly help the volunteer translators in order to translate a movie to the other languages.

                  Regards,
                  Vargan
                  Rusia

                  --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "Pietro" <2009@...> wrote:

                  > I just left Panos' farm this morning.
                  >
                  > The farm is really beautiful, and Panos looks like an old greek Taoist. The son of Lao Tzu and Hera.
                  >
                  > I could not convince him to accept any offer for the time I stayed there. Ate his food and used his place. He explained me in detail how to make seed balls. Also extra informations, and how to adapt all this to my local conditions. Then when I left he gave me some seeds and asked me to sow them(, please). This simple act changed everything so now it looked like I was making him a favor. Hiding the biggest favor he has been doing for me those days.
                  >
                  > Please go. He is willing to teach, and has things to teach.
                  >
                  > Pietro

                • Jason Stewart
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 8, 2011
                    ...Just came across this, not bad!, cute & sweet, 1 year old Greek newspaper
                    article on this subject...:
                    "
                    BASED OUT of Klisochori, in Edessa, Panagiotis Manikis currently...spreading the
                    word on “natural farming”, a method as old as the mountains and first
                    implemented by nature herself.
                    "
                    See: -> http://www.athensnews.gr/issue/13385/21666
                    .
                    Searching, I don't find it posted here in our group, yet—even as the article
                    replied below interests me more.
                    .
                    Panayiotis/Panagiotis—i'm not sure which English–transliteration is better for
                    his name which certainly is correctly spelled in Greek—i had been thinking it
                    was the former English–transliteration with the y—Now I see the Greek people
                    writing here have it Panagiotis—so that's what i'll write—until advised... .
                    .
                    Biggest best wishes to all Japanese, all cricket fans, and to all,
                    .
                    Jason Stewart
                    –busy in south eastern Oz.
                    PS. no April fools jokes in this above link.