回复: [fukuoka_farming] Re: Are 10 acres too lar ge for a

  • William Milmoe
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2010
      Definitely, the climate dictates how much land one can be stewart of and how
      much land is required to sustain in food or food to sustain and to
      barter/sell.

      Think 3/4 of the land in forest (you will want to maintain somewhat of a
      trail through this part. 1/8 in orchard 1/16 in garden and 1/16 in pond. If
      you can afford that much land etc go for it.

      For books my preference is for Robert Hart's book "Forest Gardening" He had
      lots of experience before he wrote it and made some good but hard decisions
      along the way.

      http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_15?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=robert+hart+forest+gardening&sprefix=Robert+Hart+For

      And Gene Logsdon's "Pond Lovers"

      http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Gene+Pond+Lovers&x=0&y=0

      Other considerations are toboggan/mountain bike trail, hydroelectric pond,
      wind mills etc., growing timber, a green fence, distance from a toxic
      farming/neighbors.... my neighbors swear to my face that they do not use
      chemicals but too many times I have walked on my property into a toxic cloud
      of their doing... I heard of one 400 acre organic / no chemical farm that
      had to be evacuated each year because of toxic aerial spraying by corporate
      neighbors. The law ought to be enforced!

      What a great adventure you are entering!