Re: [fukuoka_farming] Upland rice in NF- andean highlands of Colombia

  • Frank McAvinchey
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2010
      Daniel,

      Where did you get the rice seeds? Are they available via the internet?

      Frank

      On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 7:58 AM, daniel_herps <pyrrhura@...> wrote:

      > Hi,First post ever for me. Im from Colombia, doing NF in a
      > sustainability project. Recently I got some seeds of upland rice
      > (dryland). As I dont have many seeds, I would like first to grow it on
      > biointensive beds and after first crop, switch to NF. The question I
      > have is should I use straw in the biointensive beds (something like the
      > synergistic garden of E. Hazelip) or maybe with white clover, and when
      > to seed it? any aditional advice would be useful for me.
      > Im also doing experiments with the NF of corn, beans, and tomato. I
      > expect to have our blog setup with pictures soon.
      > BlessingsDaniel MejiaCundinamarca, Colombia, South America

    • daniel_herps
      Message 2 of 5 , May 8, 2010
        Frank,
        I got the seeds from a local research institution, not from Internet. On Ebay, however, you can get Thai jasmine rice, who as far as I know is grown on highlands.
        Daniel
      • Alan
        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2010
          I found rice seed available from the edible sprout seed companies. I may have to acclimatize the seed to my local conditions, but it is better than nothing.
          Do a search for "rice sprout seed".

          --- In fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com, "daniel_herps" <pyrrhura@...> wrote:

          > Frank,
          > I got the seeds from a local research institution, not from Internet. On Ebay, however, you can get Thai jasmine rice, who as far as I know is grown on highlands.
          > Daniel

        • Frank McAvinchey
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9, 2010
            What is the climate like where you plan to plant? It is temperate here,
            four seasons. Are you in the highlands, las sierras?

            Frank aka Panchito