RE: [fukuoka_farming] (fukuoka farming) Weeds removal - Communist

  • Sudhiranjan Mandal
    Message 1 of 21 , May 5, 2010
      The idea here was to destroy the whole weed along with the seeds.Since these weeds are not exactly seasonal,and may be in various stages of growth: we will have to destroy the weeds that are matured also,and having seeds.The seeds should not have the opportunity to germinate.
      Sudhiranjan

      De: Sudhiranjan Mandal <sudhiranjan1959@...>
      À: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Mardi 4 mai 2010, 20h21

      This weed propagates very fast and is also very invasive.

      I think I read somewhere that the best way to deal with the menace is to pull out the weed,root and all,and burn it.It is a bit laborious,but it was suggested that this was the most effective way.
      you could try it,Satya.
      regards,
      Sudhiranjan

      发件人: Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@ hotmail.com>
      收件人: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com
      日期: 2010年5月4日,周二,下午6:26

      Hi Pawanji. You are right. This has become nuisance all over. In rainy season it looks very green and very attractive. It is not eaten by any animal and not useful at all for any purpose. It spoils the nutrient of the soil and is a new weed been introduced lately. Please let me have a cure for this.

      Regards

      satya

      Chromolaena odorata

      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

      Jump to: navigation, search

      Chromolaena odorata

      Scientific classification

      Kingdom:
      Plantae

      (unranked):
      Angiosperms

      (unranked):
      Eudicots

      (unranked):
      Asterids

      Order:
      Asterales

      Family:
      Asteraceae

      Genus:
      Chromolaena

      Species:
      C. odorata

      Binomial name

      Chromolaena odorata
      (L.) King & H.E.Robins.

      Synonyms

      Eupatorium odoratum
      Osmia odorata (L.) Sch.Bip.

      It was earlier taxonomically classified under the genus Eupatorium, but is now considered more closely related to other genera in the tribe Eupatorieae. [2]
      Chromolaena odorata is considered invasive weed of field crops in its introduced range, and has been reported to be the most problematic invasive species within protected rainforests in Africa.[3]

      Contents[hide]

      1 Toxicity
      2 References
      3 Further reading
      4 External links

      [edit] Toxicity
      Chromolaena odorata contains carcinogenic pyrrolizidine alkaloids.[4]

      To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com
      From: apsastry@gmail. com
      Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

      Hi,

      I have searched a bit on google after reading your mail and i found that the
      Communist weed you mention is called Siam Weed/ Chromolaena odorata

      Please check and conifrm if this is the weed you are referring:
      http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Chromolaena_ odorata

      It seems to be a difficult problem and i could not readily find a solution
      though i saw that in some cases the weed has been used to improve yield of
      paddy/ groundnut.

      I request anybody who has dealt with this issue/ knows how to deal with it
      to respond to Satya.

      Regards,

      On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@ hotmail.com> wrote:

      > Hi Every body
      >
      > I am from Udupi district and we have a peculiar problem of weeds growing as
      > tall to 4 -5 feets in the farm and open space. The weed is called communist
      > by the locals and it does not allow other vegetables and plants to grow. It
      > flowers in the month of april may and the flowes fly in the air which
      > spreads all over the fields once again. Every year we have to to clear the
      > mess. If u burn the same in the summer , in the rainy season it once again
      > grows wild and completly distroys the nutrition in the soil. Can some body
      > in the group help.
      >
      > regards
      >
      > Satya
      >

      > To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com <fukuoka_farming% 40yahoogroups. com>
      > From: skkumaraswamy@ bajajauto. co.in <skkumaraswamy% 40bajajauto. co.in>
      > Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:38:55 +0530
      > Subject: RE: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm
      >
      > Dear Sharan,
      > This is Kumarswamy cell No. 9970015493
      >
      > Regards
      > Swamy

      Pavan Sastry
      Asst. Business Analyst
      Tata Consultancy Services
      Hyderabad

      The amazing world in sharp snaps
      http://news. in.msn.com/ gallery/archive. aspx

    • Satya Kamath
      Message 2 of 21 , May 6, 2010
        hI

        The idea is good to remove the weed from the base before it grow. But the seeds of the weed is so light that it almost fly in from the neighbouring area. The seed does not get germinated where there is thick plants and where water gets accumulated. We keep on removong the weed in the early monsoon as it is small in size then. By Dec and January it is alomost 3-4 feet tall and removong it from the ground is a big problem. then come March it starts flowering and the seed starts flying in the air with the flowers.

        My question is is there any chemical available that can be sprayed on them in the month betw jan and feb so that they wont give seeds and further production is stopped. This is normally grows besides the commercial crop we plant like cashew, banana, flowers,mango etc.

        regards

        satya

        To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
        From: sudhiranjan1959@...
        Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:53:10 -0700

        From: apsastry@gmail. com
        Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

        Message 3 of 21 , May 6, 2010
          Hi Vivasayee

          The name of the weed is Chromolaena odorata

          From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

          To: fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
          From: vivasayeee@...
          Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 22:47:12 +0400

          Hi Satya ,

          Can you tell me the name as many of us may not be knowing the weeds ,
          hearing the name communist for first time

          Just to give us more clue take a close picture of it and send it to forum .

          Look around near by fields ,any one is using hybrid seeds cultivation as
          they are primarily responsible for huge weeds and unwanted ..

          More over as per nature fundamentals ,any thing grow high in the field some
          how substitutes
          It can be used for "mulching " ,Think other way around if it is causing loss
          some how ,you need to think on destroy part .

          Whenever I use natural way of pesticides which doesnt kill the pests but
          make them ran away from field ,which indicates we are leaving the way for
          every living creature to live in this world..

          In other way around as business crooked minds after world war 2 ,started
          pesticides and
          fertilizers making which makes the soil infertile

          "TRUST ME if you follow natural farming " soil fertility will be increased
          ,I cannot comment the remedy as the name looks new for me.....

          Warm Regards
          Vivasayee

          Message 4 of 21 , May 6, 2010
            Dear Satya,
                   How to remove the effect of the chemicals you are going to use ,at a later stage?
                   It is a no-no
                   When we follow the natural farming route,we do not talk chemicals..Good Luck!!
            regards,
            Sudhiranjan

            From: sudhiranjan1959@...
            Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:53:10 -0700

            From: apsastry@gmail. com
            Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 21:22:03 +0530

            Hi,

            I have searched a bit on google after reading your mail and i found that the
            Communist weed you mention is called Siam Weed/ Chromolaena odorata

            Please check and conifrm if this is the weed you are referring:
            http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Chromolaena_ odorata

            It seems to be a difficult problem and i could not readily find a solution
            though i saw that in some cases the weed has been used to improve yield of
            paddy/ groundnut.

            I request anybody who has dealt with this issue/ knows how to deal with it
            to respond to Satya.

            Regards,

            On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Satya Kamath <kamath_satya@ hotmail.com> wrote:

            > Hi Every body
            >
            > I am from Udupi district and we have a peculiar problem of weeds growing as
            > tall to 4 -5 feets in the farm and open space. The weed is called communist
            > by the locals and it does not allow other vegetables and plants to grow. It
            > flowers in the month of april may and the flowes fly in the air which
            > spreads all over the fields once again. Every year we have to to clear the
            > mess. If u burn the same in the summer , in the rainy season it once again
            > grows wild and completly distroys the nutrition in the soil. Can some body
            > in the group help.
            >
            > regards
            >
            > Satya
            >

            > To: fukuoka_farming@ yahoogroups. com <fukuoka_farming% 40yahoogroups. com>
            > From: skkumaraswamy@ bajajauto. co.in <skkumaraswamy% 40bajajauto. co.in>
            > Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:38:55 +0530
            > Subject: RE: [fukuoka_farming] about visit to the kumarswamy farm
            >
            > Dear Sharan,
            > This is Kumarswamy cell No. 9970015493
            >
            > Regards
            > Swamy

          • vivasayee vivasayee
            Message 5 of 21 , May 9, 2010
              Hi Satya ,

              As you see the intention of this group I believe is natural farming and
              this weed while doing some research looks very dangerous behaviour as it
              increases more and more seeds when u use manual or mechanical .

              Chemical Usage will bring you drastical impact on the soil and assciated
              crops !

              Look like the following !plz confirm ,

              http://www.google.com/images?q=Chromolaena%20odorata&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:ta:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

              Looks like the origin is from North America and later it spread to other
              areas of Asia by multiple ways ! Remember when u say "Chemical " you are
              inviting problem to ur soil which is mother for all cropping... When
              pesticides/fertilizer were able to produce mechanism to control to some
              extent ,we can think about the same should be available through natural
              ways..

              "I will check this out ,and confident will find resolution "

              Parallely eager to get any inputs from highly experienced "

              My suggestion would be to look deep into the inherant properties of this
              weed ,may be need some agricultural scientist in this forum to take deep
              dive analysis

              This one reproduced based on typical weather conditions ,weather conditions
              we cannot change ,but we can increase the soil capability which is ur worry
              by adopting various methods or do for one time anti cropping like some
              crops which does not allow other crop to succeed ..--->For this we need to
              study deep into this weed ,which is supposed to be done by the scientist who
              are paid by govt but unfortunately they work for pesticides/fertilizers
              companies for mere money sake....

              here we need to look how the fore-farmers have address this issue!!!

              We cannot fiddle around the nature ,there is some thing which is aiding in
              ur land which needs to be looked on wt is that other than weather condition

              Regards
              vivasayeee